1989 Chevy Suburban 350 - stalls when in forward or reverse while breaks are engaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike89Suburban

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
This is a little long winded -sorry. I am also not a professional mechanic. I recently purchased a 1989 Chevy Suburban 350 with 33,000 original miles. It was last registered six years ago. When I bought it, it was on jack stands and had an inch of dust on it. Full tank of old gas too. The previous owner said before he put it up on jack stands he did a full and complete tune up. After going through the basics, inflating the tires and charging the battery, it started right up and a/c blows cold air. I drove it 150 miles to my home. On the way home it stalled a few times when stopping at lights or to pay tolls, but started right back up every time. I’ve been driving it around town. Put about 300+ miles on it - ran through the old gas. When in drive or reverse with my foot on the brake, the truck would stall, but would idle smooth in park or neutral. At lights if I put it in neutral it would be fine. The truck ran awesome (expect for the stalling issue). Transmission shifts perfectly. There are no pending codes and the check engine light is not on.

I tried cleaning the TBI with injector cleaner, while the TBI was attached to the intake manifold - no real help. I changed the fuel filter - the fuel filter was not blocked ,but nasty stuff dripped out of it. Changing the fuel filter had no real effect.

I read a bunch of threads on the net about the stalling problem while in gear - seems like a common problem with no great solution. I changed the IAC - there was a slight improvement. After changing the IAC it took a few more seconds, when in gear, before it would stall. I changed the EGR and PCV - which had no real effect. I changed the coolant temp sensor - also no effect.

The next thing seemed to be the fuel pressure regulator. The kit for the pressure regulator and the entire TBI rebuild kit with a new pressure regulator was a nominal price difference, so I figured I might as well get the rebuild kit. I disconnected the TBI from the intake manifold. The gasket between the TBI and the intake manifold seemed to have been squished into the underside of the TBI into the channels/canals that lead to various vacuum lines. Parts of the TBI were pretty dirty. It was pretty black where the IAC goes into the TBI. The vacuum lines seemed pretty dirty, but nothing was blocked by any means. I cleaned the TBI with throttle body cleaner and followed the instructions and did the rebuild (and changed the pressure regulator). It was not overly complicated. I don’t see how I did anything wrong.

When I put the TBI back on the intake manifold, reconnected everything and started up the truck it idled really high and steady and never dropped down. My guess is it is at like 2500+ rmp. Any thoughts??? I would like to first find out what may be going on with the TBI and if I did something wrong in the rebuild. Also the check engine light is not on and no codes are pending.

Mike89Suburban

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There was a vacuum leak with the gasket between the TBI and intake manifold. That was addressed, but the original problem with the stalling in gear remains. What to do next?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
There was a vacuum leak with the gasket between the TBI and intake manifold. That was addressed, but the original problem with the stalling in gear remains. What to do next?

Could it be a leaky diaphragm for the vacuum assist brake booster ?

Mike89Suburban

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No not a vacuum leak in the break booster. I brought it in to a mechanic and it has him completely stumped. There are no vacuum leaks. Nothing to do with the transmission either. Nothing seems to make sense as to what is causing this problem.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No not a vacuum leak in the break booster. I brought it in to a mechanic and it has him completely stumped. There are no vacuum leaks. Nothing to do with the transmission either. Nothing seems to make sense as to what is causing this problem.

how about the switch from the brake pedal for the transmission lock up shorting the ignition somehow. Real long shot! But possible if the wiring has been hacked up.......maybe......? I dunno that's weird dude

Mike89Suburban

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Apparently these late 80's early 90's Chevy 350 TBIs are known for developing microcracks in the Distributor Shaft, which decreases magnetism and can cause this problem. Changed the Distributor and fixed the problem! I hope this helps someone in the future.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good to know....that would have driven me batshit trying to troubleshoot. Thanks for the heads up!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How did you find it? I wonder if this could be the cause of other hard to find issues as well. What part of the distributer develops cracks? Have any pics?

Mike89Suburban

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
In researching the issue I found the following post on another site:

1990 Chevy 350 Tbi stalling issue?
Well my main issue with this truck is that when im in drive or reverse it will stall and die if im not on the throttle. Also when I am trying to take off it stalls sometimes and takes a second to go. This engine has 340k miles on it and im looking to replace it once i can but i need to make it last a little bit longer. I just rebuilt the throttle body only a few months ago. Im thinking either EGR or fuel pump or fuel filter.
Best Answer: You have the VIN "K" 5.7L (TBI)
Already know what your problem is:
You have a weak distributor shaft magnet!

To Test:
1. Disconnect the pick up coil from the ignition module.

2. Test AC voltage output from the pick up coil when cranking.

3. Replace the distributor shaft if the AC voltage output is not above 700 millivolts.

4. Also replace the pick up coil winding while the distributor shaft is removed.

NOTE: Don't even bother putting a "Remanufactured" distributor in it, or you will have the same problem, that you had before, Put a "NEW" dist. into it.
Source(s): 28 Year Master, L-1 Technician

After all the crap we went through, we did not bother testing or messing with the dist. We just replaced it. My dad and our mechanic had little faith. This guy was right - No more stalling - I even drove through Manhattan traffic last night without an issue. I cannot believe it! The truck runs perfectly now. It's so weird and hard to believe.

I am convinced the previous owner had tried to deal with the problem, but never could get it fixed and gave up, which must of have been why it sat and has such little miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising