1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1989 aluminum power steering bracket issues

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by Sam01, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Ricko1966

Ricko1966 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c20
    Engine Size:

What I've done to correct a p.s. alignment issue was put a puller on the pump pulley pulled it to align it and pu a couple of tack welds on.Worked like a champ

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. RecklessWOT

RecklessWOT Full Access Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10 Suburban Silverado
    Engine Size:
    350 TBI
    That would definitely work too and I have done similar things to other vehicles (flame cutting the crank fan off my S10) but for something as simple as bracket alignment, instead of fucking with a puller and welding, might as well just stack washers/grind bracket. Seems easier IMO, and you're not doing anything that can't easily be undone by removing/adding washers.

Hah, the extra $0.85 spent in washers at the hardware store is probably added to the electric bill using the welder for a few seconds making tack welds so the whole "yeah but it's cheaper" argument isn't even valid. Plus, what kind of guy doesn't have coffee cans/trays/drawers filled with extra washers, nuts, and bolts anyway? Lol

idahovette likes this.
  3. Ricko1966

Ricko1966 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c20
    Engine Size:
    Really don't remember why I did it that way.It worked though. The tacks were just an insecurity issue I'm sure.It probably would have stayed just fine, but I'm the guy who if I have to egg a hole to make some thing fit I weld a flat washer in the right spot to make sure it stays in the right spot.Damnit I'm out the .85 for the washer and another .85 for the welder jeez I'm gonna have to rethink things.Im spending like a rockstar.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    RecklessWOT likes this.