1989 aluminum power steering bracket issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a 2008 GMC 2500 that eats belts because the PS pulley is too far back. I'm simply gonna unbolt it, shim behind it, and bolt it back down. But until then I will just keep feeding it belts every 5-10k miles because I'm lazy and I don't give a **** about that truck lol

Even if that's not the RIGHT way to do it, it will still work. It should be the same with your truck. Find out which bracket is out of alignment and either put washers behind it or grind it down until it lines up right. Not a super hard fix, just look closely and you should see which pulley is the offender. This basically only works with a serp belt. Wait till it rips off one of the ribs, it will look too far back on all the pulleys (like the front rib is missing) except ONE of them will be flush up against the front and it will look too far forwards (one open rib on the back), or vice versa. That's how I determined it was my PS pulley on the '08

What I've done to correct a p.s. alignment issue was put a puller on the pump pulley pulled it to align it and pu a couple of tack welds on.Worked like a champ

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
What I've done to correct a p.s. alignment issue was put a puller on the pump pulley pulled it to align it and pu a couple of tack welds on.Worked like a champ
That would definitely work too and I have done similar things to other vehicles (flame cutting the crank fan off my S10) but for something as simple as bracket alignment, instead of ******* with a puller and welding, might as well just stack washers/grind bracket. Seems easier IMO, and you're not doing anything that can't easily be undone by removing/adding washers.

Hah, the extra $0.85 spent in washers at the hardware store is probably added to the electric bill using the welder for a few seconds making tack welds so the whole "yeah but it's cheaper" argument isn't even valid. Plus, what kind of guy doesn't have coffee cans/trays/drawers filled with extra washers, nuts, and bolts anyway? Lol

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Really don't remember why I did it that way.It worked though. The tacks were just an insecurity issue I'm sure.It probably would have stayed just fine, but I'm the guy who if I have to egg a hole to make some thing fit I weld a flat washer in the right spot to make sure it stays in the right spot.Damnit I'm out the .85 for the washer and another .85 for the welder jeez I'm gonna have to rethink things.Im spending like a rockstar.

Last edited: