1986 C20 454 cooling questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Igram

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ive got a 1986 C20, 454, T400, 3.21 axle ive owned about a year now, it may well be only a little over 100K miles total, and it appears to have all its original emissions equip on it........during the summer, pulling mountain grades, with a relatively light load, it started running hotter than i liked, getting to about 200 degrees or a little higher, until i switched the heater on to help cooling. This engine has pretty much all the crap on it, two belt driven air pumps, all the junk plumbed into the exhaust manifolds, etc.....I am fortunate to live in S Oregon, in a county that has no smog restrictions on a vehicle from this era, is the overheating/nearly overheating issue pretty common for trucks of this era/equipment?? wondering whether or not i should just remove all the emissions equip as its unlikely i will ever need it, any thoughts, Bob....

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
As far as your over heating, BBC make lots of heat and perhaps after all these years the rad is getting plugged up. Maybe the previous owner tossed in some Stop Leak which will eventually Stop Cooling. Your thermostat may be slow to open, getting sticky. Do you have a good rad shop close by? If so, have them clean that bugger out and flush the entire block while they are at it.

As fr as the fake smog crap, delete delete delete.

Also check the timing. Your era of 454 has really low compression (which is very unfortunate) so you can run the timing on the advanced side without noticing much or any pinging (pre-ignition) but it will run hotter.

And as far as I can think at this moment, the last culprit could be your clutch fan. They do wear out, and not engage fully. THAT makes um heat go up up up.

Oh I thought of something else... you should have an extra cooler on the transmission. If you don't, or it's plugged up and not functioning, your tranny running a little hotter will also push the engine temps up a bit. And a mighty T400 can run overheated (to a point) for a long time...

Bob Igram

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its funny, because other than that, it runs perfectly cool, even carrying close to 20 bales of hay at 40-55mph for probably 15 miles...........Per glove box sticker, its got HD Radiator and Trans cooler, and its a non A/C truck, so it doesnt have much in front of the radiator. Yeah, either way its probably a good time to flush cooling, maybe replace thermo as well, check timing etc........Hadnt even thought about fan and fan clutch, and as everything looks bone stock, and unaltered, and floor mats, seat, dash are all nearly perfect, im thinking this truck may well be low enough miles that a lot of underhood componentry is still original..........Thanks, and i really appreciate the good insights!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Its funny, because other than that, it runs perfectly cool, even carrying close to 20 bales of hay at 40-55mph for probably 15 miles...........Per glove box sticker, its got HD Radiator and Trans cooler, and its a non A/C truck, so it doesnt have much in front of the radiator. Yeah, either way its probably a good time to flush cooling, maybe replace thermo as well, check timing etc........Hadnt even thought about fan and fan clutch, and as everything looks bone stock, and unaltered, and floor mats, seat, dash are all nearly perfect, im thinking this truck may well be low enough miles that a lot of underhood componentry is still original..........Thanks, and i really appreciate the good insights!

Yeah, but after 35 years, the watersides of the radiator will almost certainly be coated with deposits. It doesn't take much of a deposit film to hinder heat transfer. I don't know if you're up for it, but consider the de-scaling procedure detailed below - it would be a shame to scrap an OEM HD brass/copper radiator:

I have used CLR (calcium, lime & rust remover) and Bar Keepers Friend (the BKF needs to be mixed with hot water to get it into solution) to clean radiators several times with no ill effects.

I started doing this because I had a couple of radiators that were original - OEM with brass tanks and copper tubes. They were beautiful - had no leaks and the fins were all there. Looked great from the outside.

But inside was another story, the tube ends (where they are soldered to the tanks) were so fouled that flow was being restricted. The watersides of the tanks were heavily encrusted with deposits as well (so the assumption was that the inner walls of the cross tubes were in similar condition).

There are no more radiator shops around here, so I decided to "boil" them out myself. I figured I had nothing to lose; because otherwise, they would have just been junked.

I have only done this with the radiator out of the truck and lying flat (outside and on a wooden picnic table) with the inlet/outlet nipples open and pointing up. Radiator cap is on and the small connection to the expansion tank is capped.

Pour a whole quart of CLR into the radiator (use either the inlet or outlet nipple - it doesn't matter) and top off with city water. Actually, I use the ZEP brand - it has a much higher concentration of acid (hydrochloric & sulfamic) than the big name brand. If using Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) mix half a can of powder into warm water and stir until you have a solution that can be poured.

Let it sit for hours. When you want to check the progress, dump the acid/water out (save it in a bucket - it will have plenty of life remaining). Using a garden hose at full flow, flush the waterside out. Go in both directions. Lift and shake a couple of times. When no more deposits are getting flushed out, pour the acid back into the radiator. It helps if you filter the re-used solution through a piece of window screen or similar.

With several applications (dump and flush with clean water between) the deposits will be gone and the copper and brass will be a bright gold color.

When satisfied that you have clean surfaces and will get good heat transfer/coolant flow, do a final long flush to get any remaining acid out. If it makes you feel better, you can use baking soda to neutralize. Reinstall the radiator (maybe flush the rest of the coolant system with Prestone II as well) and run on city water for a while. Dump that city water (it will be filthy) and refill the system with the normal 50/50 mix.

The drop in engine operating temperature will be remarkable.

Bob Igram

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I will have to look over closely the entire radiator, inside and out.......I dont recall seeing the typical metal tag that many radiator shops put on a replacement, and as i suspect the vehicle sat for periods of time, the radiator could be pretty old........I drove it yesterday, to town and back, 15 miles each way at speeds up to 60mph, and pulling some grades, popped the hood when i got home, and while idling was able to( Cautiously) open the radiator cap, no steam and coolant was touchable without burning my finger.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamenobueno