1985 El Camino SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't know if it is a true SS.

By that time SS pretty much only meant SS badges, where it used to mean a big block and other heavy duty options.

Mopar did the same thing with RT in the 80s.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
By that time SS pretty much only meant SS badges, where it used to mean a big block and other heavy duty options.

Mopar did the same thing with RT in the 80s.

It's funny you mention that, as it's the general thought, but it's also completely wrong. Off the top of my head, the only Super Sports that included a standard big block were '66-'70 Chevelles and also '70 Monte Carlos. Oh, and '69 Impalas since the standard SS was gone and left only the specific SS 427 model.

But the only thing that held true for all the other SS models, including many 60's versions was that "SS" meant badging and a HD suspension. Some were standard with a V8, some were not. Some were standard with a bucket seat interior while others were not. Some were standard with a full gauge package while some were not, etc. Everyone just remembers the big block cars the most.

However, I thought even the final El Camino SS's got a big Super Sport decal on the doors and also a front air damn. That car doesn't have those.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Before the LS was a thing, I gave serious consideration to installing a BB in one of those. At the time there was a kit made that modified the heater box so a BB would fit. That would be my idea of an SS Elcamino.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's funny you mention that, as it's the general thought, but it's also completely wrong. Off the top of my head, the only Super Sports that included a standard big block were '66-'70 Chevelles and also '70 Monte Carlos. Oh, and '69 Impalas since the standard SS was gone and left only the specific SS 427 model.

But the only thing that held true for all the other SS models, including many 60's versions was that "SS" meant badging and a HD suspension. Some were standard with a V8, some were not. Some were standard with a bucket seat interior while others were not. Some were standard with a full gauge package while some were not, etc. Everyone just remembers the big block cars the most.

However, I thought even the final El Camino SS's got a big Super Sport decal on the doors and also a front air damn. That car doesn't have those.
Yeah you're right. I was mainly thinkin of Chevelles, since it was an El Camino posted. Plum forgot that I've seen SS 350 Camaros and Novas. Plus, my buddy had a 65 SS Chevelle with a 327 in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad