1985 350 ran out of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So like several trucks my gauge does not currently work. I accidently ran it out of gas. So I threw some in it and carried on my way. About 3 miles down the road it stalled. Started back up and kept driving. This happened a few more times before it decided to not start anymore. I changed the fuel filter because it needed it and still won't start. I can see fuel pump is working. My questions is, what should I check first. Heading out after work to hopefully fix this beast.

1981suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harv
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Sounds like it may need a new fuel sending unit. Also, check the lines. Some of the rubber lines will "dissolve" with the ethanol gas. I had that problem before, and it was a rubber fuel line that had disintegrated.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Sounds like it may need a new fuel sending unit. Also, check the lines. Some of the rubber lines will "dissolve" with the ethanol gas. I had that problem before, and it was a rubber fuel line that had disintegrated.

Gas is pumping to the carb though. If the sending unit was bad wouldn't it not send gas to the pump?

1981suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harv
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Gas is pumping to the carb though. If the sending unit was bad wouldn't it not send gas to the pump?

Good point. How old is the carb? A crappy carp or leaking accelerator pump would cause that problem. Assuming it is carburetor, and not a TBI.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Good point. How old is the carb? A crappy carp or leaking accelerator pump would cause that problem. Assuming it is carburetor, and not a TBI.

Carb is just over a year old. I was not able to go out yesterday but I am today after work. I'm just not sure where to even start at this point. Could the fuel pump be bad even though it still pumps fuel?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

If you have a carb then you should have a mechanical fuel pump. With a mechanical fuel pump it relies on vacuum to pull fuel and the sending unit mostly relays fuel level.

If the sending unit has broken or collapsed or something then you would get a no fuel situation.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If you have a carb then you should have a mechanical fuel pump. With a mechanical fuel pump it relies on vacuum to pull fuel and the sending unit mostly relays fuel level.

If the sending unit has broken or collapsed or something then you would get a no fuel situation.

ok, so I can rule out the sending unit as it does get fuel. Could the fuel pump be damaged and not pump enough fuel maybe?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok, so I can rule out the sending unit as it does get fuel. Could the fuel pump be damaged and not pump enough fuel maybe?

Absolutely. If it does in fact have a mechanical fuel pump they are a wear item. There are 3 parts that make a pump work and if one of those 3 things don't work you won't get fuel.

You can take the outlet to the carb off and crank the truck and see if any fuel comes out.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Absolutely. If it does in fact have a mechanical fuel pump they are a wear item. There are 3 parts that make a pump work and if one of those 3 things don't work you won't get fuel.

You can take the outlet to the carb off and crank the truck and see if any fuel comes out.

it is a mechanical fuel but fuel is still pumping. I'm trying to see if the fuel pump can be bad but still pump fuel, just maybe not enough. Or if I need to look into a different issue.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
it is a mechanical fuel but fuel is still pumping. I'm trying to see if the fuel pump can be bad but still pump fuel, just maybe not enough. Or if I need to look into a different issue.

How do you know its pumping fuel? And if this is a qudrajet carb the filter in the carb maybe plugged or damaged.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
How do you know its pumping fuel? And if this is a qudrajet carb the filter in the carb maybe plugged or damaged.

I took the line off the side of the carb to make sure fuel came out. It has a edelbrock 1406 carb.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I took the line off the side of the carb to make sure fuel came out. It has a edelbrock 1406 carb.

Ok so since your getting fuel to the carb have you checked for spark? Nothing will start if there is no spark from the ignition system.

Pull out a plug and stick it into a wire and ground it out well and try starting the truck.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok so since your getting fuel to the carb have you checked for spark? Nothing will start if there is no spark from the ignition system.

Pull out a plug and stick it into a wire and ground it out well and try starting the truck.

that's what I'm going to check after work. It had new plugs, wires and distributor put on about a year ago so I wouldn't think it would be that. But you never know until you check. So you think the fuel pump is not damaged since it still pumps? I heard it mixed emotions on it.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
that's what I'm going to check after work. It had new plugs, wires and distributor put on about a year ago so I wouldn't think it would be that. But you never know until you check. So you think the fuel pump is not damaged since it still pumps? I heard it mixed emotions on it.

Well without a fuel gauge its tough to tell as you need a certain amount of fuel pressure to properly run. If you fall below that fuel pressure it can give you issues.

But if you press on the acclerator linkage you should see fuel being squirted into the carb. If you don't see this either then something could be plugged in the carb from running low on fuel.

r.booser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well without a fuel gauge its tough to tell as you need a certain amount of fuel pressure to properly run. If you fall below that fuel pressure it can give you issues.

But if you press on the acclerator linkage you should see fuel being squirted into the carb. If you don't see this either then something could be plugged in the carb from running low on fuel.

Ok, I will make sure the jet is not clogged and we have spark first. Any ideas on how to clean that if need be?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000