1982 Master Cylinder Plumbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayd_68

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm converting a 1968 C10 to Disc and 5 lug using 1982 C10 parts, got a proportioning valve on order for GM Disc/Drum. The donor truck was missing the master cylinder/proportioning valve and I don't know which port is front or rear.

Chevy's I've owned the front port was front axle and the port next to the firewall was rear axle. The 1982 is a step style master and the fittings are the same as the 1968 master, 9/16-18 and 1/2-20 but the positions are swapped and I can only assume the rear port is for the Front axle.

Does anyone know which port is front and rear?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Are
The resivoirs the same size?

jayd_68

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It has a plastic reservoir thats irregulary shaped due to the stepped bore, you would have to fill each side and measure the difference if any.

They just listed another 1982 C10 at the local u-pull salvage, I'll check it tomorrow to see if the brake system is intact.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
It has a plastic reservoir thats irregulary shaped due to the stepped bore, you would have to fill each side and measure the difference if any.

They just listed another 1982 C10 at the local u-pull salvage, I'll check it tomorrow to see if the brake system is intact.

The port adjacent to the large portion of the reservoir is for the front disks; the smaller reservoir is for the drums.

If yours is like mine then front goes to the front; rear goes to the rear.

K

Attachments

• DSC00315.jpg
    DSC00315.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 111

jayd_68

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The one in the salvage is the opposite of yours, the rear port goes to the front and the front port goes to the rear. I checked a couple of other GM's with the same master and they all were plumbed the same way.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The one in the salvage is the opposite of yours, the rear port goes to the front and the front port goes to the rear. I checked a couple of other GM's with the same master and they all were plumbed the same way.

The port adjacent to the large portion of the reservoir is for the front disks; the smaller reservoir is for the drums.

Nonetheless, this is still true no matter what.

The disks need the added volume to replenish the fluid due to wear, because of the size of the pistons (compared to the size of a wheel cylinder).

Port placement can be dictated by underhood clearance (moving the smaller reservoir to the front helps clear a highly sloping hood, like Astro/Safari van) or by features in the master cylinder, like quick take up or lack thereof.

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB