1982 calif 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROYBOY

Reaction score
First Name
ROY
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454 CID
Ok I have a 1982 K30 Dually STD. cab-454-4 spd.cast iron tranny/transfer case-4.56 gears. It has the sticker on the air filter case that says A.I.R.. What I am looking for(cant seam to find) is the vac line diagram routing. Also dose any one know what the right Q-Jet carb(part #) I need or is there another brand carb I can use on it for calif.. The sticker does not say that I need a EGR on it but there is one on the manifold. Do I need it or can I block it off?(need vac diagram) Also I would like to in stall a RV cam, but can I do this with calif.smog? and if so what kind? Any help is nice.

Thanks ROYBOY

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You may have an emissions equipment sticker under the hood under some paint. if not try google images for the correct diagram. if nothing else, call the BAR or referee. I'd think they should have whatever diagram the smog shop is going by.

as far as the cam, I would try to get it running clean enough to pass smog with carb/ignition adjustments first. then go from there. depending on the condition of the engine, modifying it might be enough to put your measurements on the sniffer out of range if it's borderline.

@Craig 85 might see this. has a 454 cali truck only a few years newer.

good luck

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
The one thing you have in your favor is the K30 part. Edit....Oops...yours is 1 ton... A 3/4 ton truck has much less requirements when it comes to emissions. Not sure if yours has a catalytic converter or not, but if it doesn't that is a huge bonus. Other than that @Frankenchevy gave some sound advice/direction. My '81 3/4 ton, I can fire it up, drive it 5 minutes to the smog shop, have it tested and pass without issue. But I have all of the factory items intact so it passes visual and sniffer. Make sure you have everything connected and routed properly, and a q-jet for that specific vehicle is a plus, as well as any other factory items you still have for it. One thing that helps pass emissions is to get the thing as hot as possible by running it for 30-40 minutes, and if it will idle without overheating, let it idle as you wait your turn for the testing. When I take any of my newer vehicles in I always go for a long drive prior to having them tested and the numbers are always on the low side. When I've gone in with marginally cold engine/exhaust the numbers are substantially higher.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Welcome to the Forum. Here's some of what I know. The 79-84 454's are pretty similar with regards to equipment. There are some slight differences though. Here's my emissions diagram. Although my truck is an '85, it is an early production and has 1984 emissions. My carb number is 17084502. Here's the link to reading the carb numbers.
http://www.carburetion.com/quadnumber.htm
You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Looks exactly like the carb on my '81.

ROYBOY

Reaction score
First Name
ROY
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454 CID
I see that you have a sticker that indicates A.I.R./E.G.R.. I do not see egr on mine just air.(maybe good or a bad thing?) I came across a site called The Carburetor Doctor and it looks like I need the Q-Jet 17080512 for CAILF. So I am looking for that one. Any out there???? Plan on getting this BEAST up and running soon. Got this truck for free from wife's fam and has sat from 1994. Has only 64,800 mi on it. Do a tear down mic it out and go from there. Had a holly carb on it.

ROYBOY

Reaction score
First Name
ROY
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454 CID
SO DoubleDingo you say I should just keep it stock. Noting that I need cats looks like just air. Its got the rad 4 row

ROYBOY

Reaction score
First Name
ROY
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454 CID
And yes I have almost all the stock parts for smog

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I wonder if @Quadrajet Power has one laying around. The number on mine is: 17080513.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I would keep it stock. Especially if you have to smog the thing. Unless you enjoy switching things over every two years. Personally I don't like doing that, so I leave my stuff unmolested so there is less worries. If I lived a smog-free county I may consider modifying stuff, but keeping all of the smog equipment.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Since it's been sitting so long, it probably wouldn't hurt to do a complete cooling sytem flush if you haven't already done so, and take the radiator to reputable radiator shop and have them clean and pressure test it.

ROYBOY

Reaction score
First Name
ROY
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454 CID
so when i get ready to work on the engine is there a set of heads i should be looking for? I will soon post pics of the this beast getting reworked. I think i will keep in pretty much stock. It will be hard finding the carb for this year. The only performance i will add is headers. Any thoughts on lockers DANA 60 ft DANA 70 rear? And yes i will get the tank tested.

Slick_james187

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban c10
Engine Size
454, 7.4L
I live in california, and I have a 77 suburban with a 454. My truck has air injection, egr, and a charcoal canister, factory duals no cats. Not sure what may have changed by 83

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486