1979 K20 5.3 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I've read the same thing all over the web as well. I've always wondered why folks waste their money on short tube headers over stock.

The primary reason is because the stock headers do not drop in with many installs, where as a specific short tube swap header generally will. The reason is the odd or passenger side exhaust triangle often contacts the frame rail on the c/k truck models. Some folks will cut the flange off and weld it on reclocked, but for 180 bucks you can get a set of stainless headers from Speed Engineering that actually look great (and will continue to do so for several years

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I've read the same thing all over the web as well. I've always wondered why folks waste their money on short tube headers over stock.

The primary reason is because the stock headers do not drop in with many installs, where as a specific short tube swap header generally will. The reason is the odd or passenger side exhaust triangle often contacts the frame rail on the c/k truck models. Some folks will cut the flange off and weld it on reclocked, but for 180 bucks you can get a set of stainless headers from Speed Engineering that actually look great (and will continue to do so for several years

^^^ This is why, a sane person isn't so quick to cut a notch in their frame, and most manifolds that will fit, like the Trailblazer SS and GTO, if you're buying new, cost about 2/3 as much as a Speed Engineering header that fits.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^^^ This is why, a sane person isn't so quick to cut a notch in their frame, and most manifolds that will fit, like the Trailblazer SS and GTO, if you're buying new, cost about 2/3 as much as a Speed Engineering header that fits.

Yep for the $160 shorties with the Vband and clockable O2 sensor location they’re hard to beat. Would’ve gone with those if they weren’t out of stock but for $100 more I got Long tubes quick and they should give some good torque gains down low which shouldn’t suck.

Unrelated, but whoever suggested that Facebook group for 73-87 LS swaps on this thread a while ago - you are an angel. So much good info and help on stuff QUICK. I still like the forums for build threads and such but damn there’s a lot of good info in that FB group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yep for the $160 shorties with the Vband and clockable O2 sensor location they’re hard to beat. Would’ve gone with those if they weren’t out of stock but for $100 more I got Long tubes quick and they should give some good torque gains down low which shouldn’t suck.

Unrelated, but whoever suggested that Facebook group for 73-87 LS swaps on this thread a while ago - you are an angel. So much good info and help on stuff QUICK. I still like the forums for build threads and such but damn there’s a lot of good info in that FB group.

That was me lol. There is a ton of info pinned there in their files. Some of the guy's are a little high on their horses, but overall, it's a good group.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That was me lol. There is a ton of info pinned there in their files. Some of the guy's are a little high on their horses, but overall, it's a good group.

Thank you sir!! I see you posting on there all the time lol I agree there are some characters but overall so helpful. Wish I’d have known about it sooner and done more research, could have save a ton of money.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

I'm no angel, just love me some squarebodies. It's the truck I grew up with in the family and nothing deserves to be cared for more than the squares than with some lovely LS sweetness. ;o)

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

We probably both recomended it, lol!!

Biggin0822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
FWIW I did the speed engineering long tubes for $269 and I thought it was a steal for the quality and fit. There is one “ear” on the passenger side bell housing on my 4l80e that had to be massaged with a “death wheel” but other than that they are great.
You must be registered for see images attach

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
FWIW I did the speed engineering long tubes for $269 and I thought it was a steal for the quality and fit. There is one “ear” on the passenger side bell housing on my 4l80e that had to be massaged with a “death wheel” but other than that they are great.

Nice!! I agree for $269 shipped they’re a steal. Sold my old camaro headers for $110 on Fleabay and shipping was $80...

The difference between the 2010 camaro headers and the speed engineering ones was astounding to me. Literally took me 30 minutes to install the Speed Engineering Long tubes.

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Haven’t updated in a while but long story short the truck is 99% road worthy it just needs an exhaust.

Last edited:

smurfasaur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
New 33’s and wheels

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

got a photo of each side looking down at frame clearance? May add these to the list at that price and fit. Nice work and thanks for the info.

Biggin0822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I don’t have a pic looking down but they clear the frame perfectly. There is only one “ear” on the bell housing that needs to be removed. Death wheel and 2 minutes is all you need

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In case anyone in here is interested. Life events force the sale of this guy

https://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/d/1979-chevy-k20-4x4-ls-swap/6628411194.html

What a shame !!! Post it in the Classifieds here in the For Sale Section. You should come up with a real price though. Noone likes to make offers and I can promise, no one who does make an offer, isn't going to offer to much so come up with something you can live with and go from there. Better chance of at least getting someone into negotiations if you list a price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK