1973-1987 Ground Straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
New to the forum and I would appreciate any and all assistance.

I picked up a new set of ground straps for my 1981 Silverado, but when I went to the locations I thought they’d be there weren’t any. I’ve looked online, but found examples seemed more random and by personal preference. I figured 1 frame to block, 2 firewall to heads, 1 rear body to frame and 1 battery to frame by headlights. Before I start drilling, I wanted to verify these locations were correct. Part of the reason for new ground straps was my oil pressure gauge was having issues, but had the correct ohms when tested and worked properly when I used a wire as a makeshift ground from sensor directly to negative battery post.

Again, I appreciate any and all assistance and thank you in advance.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Sounds good to me.

I'll try to contribute!

Seems like it's driver cylinder head to firewall, the oil leaking hole in the front of the engine ahead of the fuel pump to adjacent frame (factory bolt) , frame here to core support, battery to passenger fender, fuel tank near filler to body near filler , license plate - mount-ish? to driver frame?

That's five? You skipped the gas tank to body.
Have no fear, one of my associates will be along shortly but my list is kind of great. *blush* :oops:

You must be registered for see images attach

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome aboard.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome to GMSB. Unless your doing a concourse restoration it really doesn’t matter. I did battery to frame to block. Cab to frame in several locations. Rear harness to frame. Gas tank to frame. Bed to frame. Fuel filler to bed. You can’t have to many grounds.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Very cool. Thank you, everyone for your replies. I appreciate y’alls guidance and welcome to the forum.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Continuing to consider this thread, I have a need to revise or alter some of my previous statements regarding.

The passenger side engine to frame ground comes FACTORY installed on that cylinder head, behind the alternator or on the bracket.

I am almost certain that grounds are required on both cylinder heads. Previously I made mention of the "oil leaking hole ahead of the fuel pump" or something.
Best I recall, there IS a FACTORY stud down there, but i'm not sure what it's for.
Maybe to secure transmission cooler lines..
There are two threaded holes in the block there but only one of them (the top one) passes through an oil passage of some sort. Not major, it seeps at best. Must have something to do with timing chain lubrication?

Regardless : the point of this "correction" is to force the point that both cylinder heads must have their own ground.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB. Unless your doing a concourse restoration it really doesn’t matter. I did battery to frame to block. Cab to frame in several locations. Rear harness to frame. Gas tank to frame. Bed to frame. Fuel filler to bed. You can’t have to many grounds.

You can say that again!
The only time you can have too much ground is when you're trying to fly.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
One important ground that causes all kinds of problems is the instrument panel ground up under the dash. The black panel ground wire is connected to a stud on the emergency brake mechanism on earlier trucks, and on later trucks they apparently installed a grounding block (I've never actually seen what what was used).

Many folks find that their instruments are really screwed up or don't work, or the blinker indicator light turns steady when they turn the headlights on, and they are ready to rewire the truck to fix it. However, once you reconnect the panel ground, all of a sudden most of the problems are fixed.

Bottom line recommendation - If you are having electrical problems of any type, the very first step is to fix and reconnedt all the grounds. Sand or grind the connection point down to bare metal, and reconnect. Its always okay to use a larger ground wire than what is already there, such as the braided ground straps, and it will never hurt to add an additional ground.

Another product I've used is called DeOxit, which is designed to remove oxidation from electrical connections. It works to clean smaller, hard to reach electrical connections that cause problems. For example, the contacts on sliding switches (the switch for light on the back of the cab), rheostats (headlight dimmer and volume control), etc.

Bruce

Last edited:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Continuing to consider this thread, I have a need to revise or alter some of my previous statements regarding.

The passenger side engine to frame ground comes FACTORY installed on that cylinder head, behind the alternator or on the bracket.

I am almost certain that grounds are required on both cylinder heads. Previously I made mention of the "oil leaking hole ahead of the fuel pump" or something.
Best I recall, there IS a FACTORY stud down there, but i'm not sure what it's for.
Maybe to secure transmission cooler lines..
There are two threaded holes in the block there but only one of them (the top one) passes through an oil passage of some sort. Not major, it seeps at best. Must have something to do with timing chain lubrication?

Regardless : the point of this "correction" is to force the point that both cylinder heads must have their own ground.

They are not really required on both heads. Through the process of the bolts connecting through the block connecting to one is as good as connecting to the other, but having said that, there is no harm in using each head to ground to a different point (i.e. one head to chassis ground and the other head to the body ground. I usually go ahead and ground the battery to the motor and the chassis as well but I usually use the braided ground straps on the engine in order to to stay safe around hot components like headers and such.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I try to tie the major chunks of the whole rig together to slow down corrosion.

The battery to the alternator mount and the rad support. The rad support is not stock. I tie the Diesels battery grounds direct to the frame rails and depend on the Frame-to-Block straps to carry the starter current. Hasn't let me down yet.
I usually ground the block to each frame rail near the motor mounts. I think at least one of these is stock.
I also ground the RH cylinder head to the cab near the heater box. I believe that's stock.
The rad support to the frame on both sides.
The inner fender and outer fender to the rad support. None of these are stock.
The fender to the hood along the hinge on both sides.
The rear frame rails to the bed on both sides. I believe at least one frame rail strapped to the bed was stock.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
@hatzie says it well, and reiterates the point that you can't have too many grounds.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I try to tie the major chunks of the whole rig together to slow down corrosion.

The battery to the alternator mount and the rad support. The rad support is not stock. I tie the Diesels battery grounds direct to the frame rails and depend on the Frame-to-Block straps to carry the starter current. Hasn't let me down yet.
I usually ground the block to each frame rail near the motor mounts. I think at least one of these is stock.
I also ground the RH cylinder head to the cab near the heater box. I believe that's stock.
The rad support to the frame on both sides.
The inner fender and outer fender to the rad support. None of these are stock.
The fender to the hood along the hinge on both sides.
The rear frame rails to the bed on both sides. I believe at least one frame rail strapped to the bed was stock.
This user may not be present anymore, this forum old, but does anyone have a reason for wanting to add so many grounds? Im not sure I understand exaclty what having so many does vs the necessary ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019