1967 C20 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
RecklessWOT to bad you are not closer. I am getting rid of those turbine rims to clear out some space. I just can't seem to channel my '80s vibe and they need to go.
I agree, they do look out of place on a '67. I love the way they look on a post-80 squarebody though. The '84 Blazer I briefly owned when I was all of 18 years old had a set of hurricane/turbine/whatever the proper term is (I always forget the difference) wheels on it and I sold them for a couple hundred bucks (with a set of old school mudders too), haven't come across another set since. They'd probably look dumb on the 'burb, but I still want them.

I literally would have driven out to Iowa to pick them up (or make my old man pick them up next time he drives back east for a visit) if I could use them, but the only 8 lug vehicle I currently own is a newer truck and I doubt they would clear the brakes. Damn shame

Truck's looking good overall though! That's a lot of red lead on the bedside, was that a ton of little dings, or just filling in deep scratches/chips and stuff?

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Red lead, that is a new one for me.
It was actually a ton of deep scratches and chips. Initially I was trying to save the original paint but it was a losing battle. The body is pretty straight for a 55 year old work truck. Sitting at Dad's for 20 years kept it from getting banged up. Neighbor kid was pestering him for years to just give him the truck, glad he never gave in to him.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Slowly moving the ball forward....

You must be registered for see images attach

Ordered some vinyl letters for the tailgate yesterday. I thought about trying to mask and spray it white but I took the easy way out.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Unfortunately I had to halt work on this for likely the year. I may be able to do a bit of mechanical work but the bodywork will definitely have to wait until spring. My dad has ended up back in skilled nursing so my weekends are taken up with tending to his needs and taking care of his place. After that hunting season starts so I hope to get out a few times this year. Between that and prepping the fleet/farm equipment for winter project work will take a back seat. Hope to start posting more updates in the spring. For now the ole girl has a cover on her and has been pushed over to open the shop back up. Life often gets in the way......

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Quick update. The weather has been mild the past couple weeks so I did get the radiator pulled. I dropped it at a local shop for a new core. Should have it back in a couple weeks. If the mild temps hold I am going to try and rebuild the brake system; wheel cylinders, soft lines, master cylinder.
I also have a line on a rebuilt 327 out of a '67 passenger car. Should be able to get it for a decent price as it belongs to my FIL and is at his friend's shop. He bought it years ago and had it rebuilt for his '67 Chevelle. He does not drive that one enough to warrant replacing it's motor so he offered it up to me. I will keep the current 327 and rebuilt it as time permits so I have the original motor as well if I ever want to put it back in the truck.
Hope to get some pics up over the next couple of weeks.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got the radiator back from the shop. They saved the side tanks and tags when they replaced the core. Even shot a coat of paint on it.

Upper and lower hoses also arrived. Along with with the wheel cylinders, master cylinder and soft lines. Of course it is now in the single digits so I am not motivated to do brake work. I did pick up a can of brake gray so I can give them a quick coat and maybe stay ahead of the surface rust.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Weather has finally turned it seems and my time has somewhat been freed up a bit. I pushed the truck back over in the shop a couple weeks ago so work can resume on it. Got some sanding done on the rain gutters and A pillars along with the hood. Next I am going to spot putty the dents/dings/scratches and get a first guide coat of primer on it. Over the winter I bought several boxes worth of parts for it and will slowly start to install them after I get the bodywork done. It will get a complete brake job; wheel cylinders, hoses, master cylinder. I have all the parts and painted the cylinders and master with Eastwood Brake Grey as the weather was nice. I figure I will focus on finishing the rest of the bodywork so that is all out of the way. I did end up buying that 327 from my FIL. Motor has been in a climate controlled shop for 10+ years and has a fresh rebuild with a 0.030" over bore. Looks like it came out of a 1966 something. Motor is correct and will look great installed (will get some pics of it, it is still over in the shop). I will likely get a set of tube headers for in in place of the stock logs. I did put a bore scope down all the cylinders and turned it over; everything checked out.
More pics to come as work progresses.....

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Quick update. Finally got to spend more than 30 minutes on the truck this past weekend. Wife had her knee replaced so I was kinda busy with other things the past 2-3 weeks.
Got the hood stripped and primed. Ready for final sanding and topcoat. Only had one small rock ding to fill otherwise was really straight once I removed several coats of paint.
I also got the new heater core install (wanted that done while the hood was off as you have to remove the right hood hinge). Vacuumed and blew out a lot of leaves, dust, and mouse tracks from the heater box.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got the hood painted over the long weekend. I also got the truck masked off and the cab primed. Did a lot of spot putty work on it and will hopefully get it sanded this week. Pretty sure I have a few more spots to correct before I color it. Making progress. Will be glad when the bodywork is done and I can move on to the mechanical bits.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Got the back of the cab sprayed. Doors are the last item on the list, they have been stripped and primed so I just have to wet sand and spray them and much of the bodywork will be done. It is not perfect but I have to keep moving so I do not lose motivation. This was never intended to be a restoration, more of a resurrection. After I get the doors sprayed I can wet sand and clear the truck. Getting close to the point of project turnaround where I can start assembling.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Was over at the shop where the new motor is sitting and got a picture of it. Not the best shot. Happened to be over there as the FIL's '66 Chevelle is getting some carb work done. So we were having a "safety" meeting after work on Friday.

In other news the truck is now 100% light green finally. I am in the process of clearing it now. Will try and post up a couple pics. Bodywork is coming to a close.

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Latest pics of the progress over the weekend.

Also got the two front power windows replaced in my daily driver.
Was a good weekend in the shop.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Latest pics of the progress over the weekend.

Also got the two front power windows replaced in my daily driver.
Was a good weekend in the shop.
Is that the turquoise with a little bit of green in it, that was such a popular color for these trucks? It looks good, no matter what it's called!
Many years ago, the guy who owned the auto parts store my dad worked in (and we bought in '78) had one of these for a shop truck, in that color. I think it was a '69 or '70. I remember seeing many of them as a kid and teenager. Now most of the Action Line trucks are at shows.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84