15" rims on a k20 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powderbullet

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
I recently bought a set of 15" buckshot q mud grips that are mounted on 5 x 5.5 rims. My K20 has an eight lug hub on 6.5-in spacing. What's the best way to get them together? I don't use this vehicle on the road - it is strictly a hunting truck. Apparently no one makes an adapter to go from an 8 lug hub to a 5 hole rim. I don't think anyone makes an eight lug 15-in rim either. Is my only option to custom build a rim? If I do will I have issues fitting 15-in rims over my hub and calipers? I wouldn't make such a big deal about it but they quit making these tires about 10 or 15 years ago and I consider myself lucky to have found them in any size. Just hope I can make them work!

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
My understanding is there will be some fitment issue on the front brakes because the k20 front brake calipers are slightly larger diameter than the 6 lug counterpart. I think you can shave the brake calipers and then have the 15 inch wheels fit (and there are reportedly no ill effects).

Powderbullet

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Okay I love this forum already. Thanks for that! I have spent a good bit of time looking for exactly that but evidently I'm not as good at it as you are.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Probably would need to do something to this affect. Thats on a dana 60.

You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Probably would need to do something to this affect. Thats on a dana 60.

Is that ground for clearance? Hah, I love it

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Is that ground for clearance? Hah, I love it

Yes but keep in mind the front on a k20 is still the corporate 10 bolt usually but the calipers are mounted to a backing plate that still has a larger diameter. I'm not sure why they do that but the difference is 11.86" vs 12.5" inches. Not sure how much of that turns into the grind on the calipers but it might be dependent on the wheel too. I'd say a steel stock, Wagon or D hole type wheel may be thinner than a spun or forged aluminum so that may be the difference. I've kind of been wondering my own self what would need to be done overall.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I mean, *i* wouldnt do that ****...
I have 16.5" rims on my dana 60 lol

are 16.5's the ones that for the factory steel wheels they didn't have the safety bead for keeping the tire from debeading?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
are 16.5's the ones that for the factory steel wheels they didn't have the safety bead for keeping the tire from debeading?

Correct. I had a valve stem crack on me and the tire deflated. The outer bead slid right off. Luckily the truck was parted when it happened. Here's what the bead looks like on a 16.5" wheel.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Correct. I had a valve stem crack on me and the tire deflated. The outer bead slid right off. Luckily the truck was parted when it happened. Here's what the bead looks like on a 16.5" wheel.

Yeah I had a chance to set up a set of mint polshed 5 slots (like the MT challengers) but they were in 16.5 and I decided it was not worth it in my world. I have some old aluminum wheels from the 80's era on there now and I'm probably just going to powder coat them something dark, if I choose not to go with stealth black.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
OK I will ask. WHY? highdesertranger

Running a 15" wheel gives you more sidewall and better tire deflection over terrain when aired down.

There are companies that make 15" 8 lug wheels, Bart being one of them. Grinding down the caliper on a D60 you need to remove 1/2" of material from the front half of the top of the caliper. This is no way compromises the integrity of the caliper. No idea why they made them so thick but I've never heard of one failing that was ground down but I'm sure you wouldn't be able to use them for a core in the future, lol. I'm not sure if you have to do the same on a 3/4 ton axle. Check FB Marketplace also. I've seen a few sets in the Midwest for sale.

Kiely

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
454-4bbl
There are companies the make adapters. The thumbnail below showed one such company

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne