14 Bolt Full Float Detroit Locker/ Gov Lock Picture ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I"ll have to edit this thread when I find those pics of a 14B FF Gov Lock that we have on here. But for purpose of being able to pull a rear cover and tell which carrier and/or Locker unit you might have in your 14 bolt Full Float Rear Axle, here we'll put some pics up for inspection comparison.

If you know Full Floater carriers, they are not very open for identification. You have to inspect through the little tiny small windows in the carrier. But what you see in the small windows, you can identify what you have.

These pics here are an Open Carrier without a locker. This will be a standard non locking, non limited slip single wheel differential.

Notice this type of carrier, and in the small windows you can see the spider gear.
attachment.php

attachment.php

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Eaton No Spin Detroit Locker

The Eaton No Spin better well know as Detroit Locker in the 14 bolt Full Float 10.5 GM rear axle is actully NOT it's own carrier. It is a spider gear replacement system. So the outside carrier itself, will look just like the standard open differential carrier as pictured above. The difference you'll look for is the outer spring that looks like a wire in the small windows. Depending where the spring is, you can even see 2 wires. What you will NOT see is a spider gear. So if it's NOT spider gear and you see wire, then it's more than likely a Detroit Locker unit. Yukon Grizzly also makes a very similar system and it could be that too, but Yukon Grizzly never came in the 14B Full Float as a factory option and would have to be aftermarket. The Detroit Locker did come factory in CUCV GM Military Trucks, and will also be 4.56 gear ratio if it's all unmolested OEM.

Here are pics of what the wire will look like in the small windows. Notice NO Spider gears visible.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Detroit Locker cont.

Here are 2 better pics for the Eaton No Spin aka Detroit Locker. This is more like the angle you'd see in the small carrier windows if it were installed in your axle housing.

Again, you'll see the wire spring instead of spider gear teeth.

attachment.php

attachment.php

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
G80 Locking Differential Eaton Gov-Lok

This is a pic of a G80 Gov-Lok Carrier for 14b Full Float Axle removed from the axle housing. Notice, no small windows to see inside the carrier. Easily identified by 3 sets of 2 bolts that hold the carrier together.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
I just picked up a 3.73 gov-lock, and will take some pics of the carrier windows ASAP.

Cameron Covington

Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I just picked up a 3.73 gov-lock, and will take some pics of the carrier windows ASAP.
I hate to respond to a 7 year old thread but I’m about to pull the diff cover off of my K30 this week and see if I have the gov-lock or the Detroit. It kinda has a weird spot when you jack the truck up and spin both wheels. Kinda hard to explain. It’s like there’s a tight spot and it’s hard to spin and then the wheel you’re spinning will break free and then about a half revolution later the other wheel will spin. Makes me feel like teeth are missing off the ring gear but fingers crossed that they aren’t, I’m trying to keep this truck a cheap beater. My coworker who I got the truck from said it made a noise in corners from new when he had it so I’m assuming it’s a gov lock. Will post some pics when I do it. Hope it’s not a gov lock and I hope my issue is something simple like the bearing on the pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
G80 Locking Differential Eaton Gov-Lok

This is a pic of a G80 Gov-Lok Carrier for 14b Full Float Axle removed from the axle housing. Notice, no small windows to see inside the carrier. Easily identified by 3 sets of 2 bolts that hold the carrier together.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Hopefully this version is much tougher than the wimpy one in my 1995 subs rear axle.
I have this in my truck according to the glove box info tag.

Cameron Covington

Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hopefully this version is much tougher than the wimpy one in my 1995 subs rear axle.
I have this in my truck according to the glove box info tag.
From everything I’ve read it’s hit and miss, I know there’s a version in the ZR2 S10’s and Blazers (obviously not a 14 bolt) but same design, and I’ve known three people that had them 2 of them moderately wheeled there rigs and the other was just a daily and they all three had to have the rear ends rebuilt multiple times. I’m hoping and praying mine is not a gov lock but if so I guess I’ll regear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have blown the crappy one up in the Sub twice.
The second time I went with an Auburn LSD and will never have to deal with it again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can only think of 1 good use for A Gov Lok. That's pulling a boat out of the water up a wet boat dock. I bought an 80 truck once for cheap. I was shocked that it had a Gov Lok in it and it still worked. I don't think that axle had ever been opened up. An old man owned the truck so I'm asuming he was never aggresive with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84