“Barn” find 57 Chevy revival

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
What's interesting about 1957, is that if you wanted a Chevy, you got a full size car. You could have had a two-door or four-door,station wagon, Nomad, sedan or hardtop. The only other option was a Corvette or a pickup or a dump truck. It wasn't until 1960 that Chevrolet introduced the Corvair, and then a 1962 Chevy II, and then '64 the Chevelle. Things sure did change from 1957 to 1967, with the Camaro, and 1971 the Vega. You think about it for a minute, things were crazy in those years... if I were in your neighborhood, I'd be the first one to help you get that 327 running. I think it's imperative that you get a scrap distributor, doesn't matter if it's a points or HEI style, strip out the junk on the top, chuck a 1/2" drill onto it and get the oil pressure in that motor up and running for a minute or two, rotate the motor a few degrees a number of times, you definitely can't overdo it using this procedure. By the way, the distributor spins clockwise, the same direction as your drill. Reinstalling the distributor is a little tricky, and you'll need a long screwdriver to index the oil pump drive way down at the bottom a few degrees off due to the rotation of the distributor on the cam gear. I'm sure there are many videos on YouTube that describe it very clearly.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
By the way, tell us more about this 57. And the 327 was quite the hot rod motor of the day, I had a 283, with three two barrels, and boy could that baby scream, but it was still a tiny 283 in a '67 Parisienne convert...

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
What's interesting about 1957, is that if you wanted a Chevy, you got a full size car. You could have had a two-door or four-door,station wagon, Nomad, sedan or hardtop. The only other option was a Corvette or a pickup or a dump truck. It wasn't until 1960 that Chevrolet introduced the Corvair, and then a 1962 Chevy II, and then '64 the Chevelle. Things sure did change from 1957 to 1967, with the Camaro, and 1971 the Vega. You think about it for a minute, things were crazy in those years... if I were in your neighborhood, I'd be the first one to help you get that 327 running. I think it's imperative that you get a scrap distributor, doesn't matter if it's a points or HEI style, strip out the junk on the top, chuck a 1/2" drill onto it and get the oil pressure in that motor up and running for a minute or two, rotate the motor a few degrees a number of times, you definitely can't overdo it using this procedure. By the way, the distributor spins clockwise, the same direction as your drill. Reinstalling the distributor is a little tricky, and you'll need a long screwdriver to index the oil pump drive way down at the bottom a few degrees off due to the rotation of the distributor on the cam gear. I'm sure there are many videos on YouTube that describe it very clearly.

Fortunately I’m pretty well versed in distributor installs from working on my c10, but thanks. I’ll defiantly be priming the motor before starting it, but I’m still hesitant about the break in

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Trying to revive my thread, haven’t been able to go back over since because of school. Finally got around to wiring it and got it cranking. Once I get a radiator and alternator put in it I’ll do the break in, and start thinking about the th350 and breaks. But I finally got pics of the vin, and of an old v8 in his yard... if it’s the original motor it’ll defiantly get rebuilt and put in.

Also he’s got a some auto trannys just laying around, some look like power glieds, and since the column in the 57 is for an automatic, fingers crossed I can rebuild an original drivetrain for this thing. A numbers matching rust free 57 bel air would be a jackpot, even if it’s a 4 door..

Here’s the vin and engine casting number, if anyone knows how to tell if they match I’d greatly appreciate it, thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMblood