‘75 C30 Fuel Tank Selector Knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luvrv8

Reaction score
First Name
karl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
interesting. any pic of the "switcher" that the cable operates?
Didn’t take one. I believe it’s 6 ports and the cable operates it. It’s on the right hand inner frame rail, no electrical as the fuel gauge sending units are wired to a switch behind the dash that is triggered by the cable.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Didn’t take one. I believe it’s 6 ports and the cable operates it. It’s on the right hand inner frame rail, no electrical as the fuel gauge sending units are wired to a switch behind the dash that is triggered by the cable.
if you can ever take a pic of the actual unit that would be appreciated, no rush tho. Just curious myself.

Did this truck use leaded gas originally? Im just wondering why its a mechanical valve and not a electrical like the trucks

Luvrv8

Reaction score
First Name
karl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
if you can ever take a pic of the actual unit that would be appreciated, no rush tho. Just curious myself.

Did this truck use leaded gas originally? Im just wondering why its a mechanical valve and not a electrical like the trucks
California banned leaded gas in the early 90’s. As far as the switching unit being cable, no idea. I have seen where some mentioned in ‘75 it only came in Cab and Chassis with a Big Block. I haven’t found anything to confirm this. I’ve also seen that many have been swapped to electric due to parts not being available

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And I know it came off as rash, I am sorry for that and not the way I wanted to start as a newbie.
You didn't, and it didn't come off that way. Cheers!
That's a pretty clean truck based off the business end pictures.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
California banned leaded gas in the early 90’s. As far as the switching unit being cable, no idea. I have seen where some mentioned in ‘75 it only came in Cab and Chassis with a Big Block. I haven’t found anything to confirm this. I’ve also seen that many have been swapped to electric due to parts not being available
Obviously it has nothing to do with leaded gas, but I've been wondering the same.
If I had to guess, the electronic tank switching solenoid was "new" to GM pickups in what? '74? (I know 74 had dual electric switch tanks and thought I read no dual tanks offered on first year models in 73?)
Either way, I'd hazard a guess that the C&C may have received the dual tank feature in a more utilitarian way (possibly thought or advertised to be more "reliable") vs pickups with greater "creature comforts."

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I had a 74 C20 and it had the normal electric switching dual tank setup. I had read somewhere about a few years using that cable version, but I'm not sure what the specifics are

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Obviously it has nothing to do with leaded gas, but I've been wondering the same.
If I had to guess, the electronic tank switching solenoid was "new" to GM pickups in what? '74? (I know 74 had dual electric switch tanks and thought I read no dual tanks offered on first year models in 73?)
Either way, I'd hazard a guess that the C&C may have received the dual tank feature in a more utilitarian way (possibly thought or advertised to be more "reliable") vs pickups with greater "creature comforts."
this would make sense. akin to getting a hand throttle to operate a pto easier too like was possible.

Luvrv8

Reaction score
First Name
karl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I’ll guess since the majority of cab and chassis were being sold to fleets GM put the cheaper of the 2 on.

Luvrv8

Reaction score
First Name
karl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
A quick set of pictures I got while crawling around on the concrete of the switcher valve. The one wire you see cut, that’s a crazy story. The fuel gauge would only work when the e brake was at a certain spot. I did check the pressure differential switch, electrical wasn’t mixed up. I did ohm checks on the printed circuit board, it wasn’t the issue as I thought maybe it bled over to the fuel gauge. I checked the sending units, ohms checked out. That wire is going to the engine compartment and then returns to the spot you see, honestly I didn’t spend time seeing where it went I just bypassed it and the fuel gauges worked since. It’s on the list of a couple other items to figure out.

Attachments

• D0C84B2B-C60E-46F9-A226-B25AC5421114.jpeg
    D0C84B2B-C60E-46F9-A226-B25AC5421114.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 3874D782-9AA6-4EFB-B9AA-88149C456567.jpeg
    3874D782-9AA6-4EFB-B9AA-88149C456567.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
A quick set of pictures I got while crawling around on the concrete of the switcher valve. The one wire you see cut, that’s a crazy story. The fuel gauge would only work when the e brake was at a certain spot. I did check the pressure differential switch, electrical wasn’t mixed up. I did ohm checks on the printed circuit board, it wasn’t the issue as I thought maybe it bled over to the fuel gauge. I checked the sending units, ohms checked out. That wire is going to the engine compartment and then returns to the spot you see, honestly I didn’t spend time seeing where it went I just bypassed it and the fuel gauges worked since. It’s on the list of a couple other items to figure out.
thank you thats cool!

Luvrv8

Reaction score
First Name
karl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Not sure it’s the factory knob but it works. Hopefully some day in my travels I’ll find a GM parts manual to see exactly what was there. Who knows, when I pull the seat to repair the slides it could be under there. Wanted to make sure I did show the knob on, it might help someone search for this down the road.

Attachments

• AB39D7A9-B7B2-4309-9A1F-18A7262C8EC4.jpeg
    AB39D7A9-B7B2-4309-9A1F-18A7262C8EC4.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512