Whats a 350 carb engine block worth that needs rebuilt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Whats a 350 carb engine block worth that needs rebuilt?

As stated in a few a other my 96 vortec block in my 90 C2500 needs rebuilt due 3-4 more rod knocks. I have no idea on the condition of crank and cam til I tear it apart. This vortec block was well worked over and abused from lack of care of PO's.

I have thought to find a 350 carb block that needs rebuilt and build that up for more power and torque on both top and bottom. I would reuse the TBI heads and intake on carb block. The 2500 would used for as much as heavy duty hauling and towing. Maybe even have registered at dmv for 10,000lb.

I would keep the 96 vortec block and see if I could rebuild later to fit in my 97 when needed.

But meanwhile I would the engine in 88 parts truck til I find and rebuild a 350 carb block.

So how much is too much to pay for a 350 carb block that needs rebuilt?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'd say $50 if it needs rebuilt. If it's already rebuilt and just ready to drop in then $350 or so.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
A running 350 is usually a dollar per CID, and comes with the disclaimer "needs rebuilt" meaning it might smoke, timing chain might rattle a little, cam might have a few flat lobes, who knows what all. It's when people start putting performance parts on it or try to claim its a "fairly new" crate engine when they want more and more for them.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
agreed it's usually $350 or so per cubic inch, however my buddies dad bought a 4.3 running complete vortec for $500.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I was looking something without the heads and intake. Possibly somewhat that someone couldn't afford to finish etc.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's what I lucked into years ago, I bought a 77 C-10 for $200 that was pretty much junk except a fender and the cab, and the guy had the motor all apart and labeled, block had been dipped and heads reworked. Me and dad checked the out-of-round/out-of-taper specs to make sure we could just re-ring it, then rebuilt it with a few performance parts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've never heard that $1 per Cu In. You guys must sell motors like kids at the high school sell prescription drugs. :happy175:
Price depends on all that is included in my mind Dave. Guys who have a 4 bolt think they got gold, so they usually want more. :flipthebird: For a 100% complete 350 4 bolt with all bracketry, carb, oil pan, intake flywheel and balancer, ususally $150 isn't bad around here for a core. If its 2 bolt, about $125, if just a long block $100, and if short block about $50. Now if you are talking a 305, offer to haul it off for them. They get given away all the time here. Then there is a rebuilt ready to install and drive a 283 w/Powerglide for $1000. So I really don't use that $1 per cube theory. All depends on what it is. Last complete rebuildable 350 I bought, was long block with manifolds, said to run with a little smoke at start up. I got it for $100. My bro is putting his intake and headers on it, and using it for a loaner motor now, since I bought that 350 4 bolt crate long block $100, that I am freshening up with rings and bearings since the dipshit left it i the rain for 2 days and it got a little surface rust in it. So I am taking it apart, honing the cylinders, new rings, bearings, timming chain and oil pump and calling it good. Also putting new valve seals on the valves and lapping the valves to clean up the seats. It was only about a 60,000 motor in good shape still showing some crosshatching in the cylinders.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I've never heard that $1 per Cu In. You guys must sell motors like kids at the high school sell prescription drugs. :happy175:
Price depends on all that is included in my mind Dave. Guys who have a 4 bolt think they got gold, so they usually want more. :flipthebird: For a 100% complete 350 4 bolt with all bracketry, carb, oil pan, intake flywheel and balancer, ususally $150 isn't bad around here for a core. If its 2 bolt, about $125, if just a long block $100, and if short block about $50. Now if you are talking a 305, offer to haul it off for them. They get given away all the time here. Then there is a rebuilt ready to install and drive a 283 w/Powerglide for $1000. So I really don't use that $1 per cube theory. All depends on what it is. Last complete rebuildable 350 I bought, was long block with manifolds, said to run with a little smoke at start up. I got it for $100. My bro is putting his intake and headers on it, and using it for a loaner motor now, since I bought that 350 4 bolt crate long block $100, that I am freshening up with rings and bearings since the dipshit left it i the rain for 2 days and it got a little surface rust in it. So I am taking it apart, honing the cylinders, new rings, bearings, timming chain and oil pump and calling it good. Also putting new valve seals on the valves and lapping the valves to clean up the seats. It was only about a 60,000 motor in good shape still showing some crosshatching in the cylinders.

Thats because you are a JEW :flipthebird: :lol: :Moon: :Sumo:

Let me get this straight though dave.
You are saying you have a VORTEC 350 Block with TBI head's???? Why the hell didnt you use the vortec heads?

You should be able to get a REBUILDABLE LONG Block Pre-87 for 50 bux because they were the 2 peice rear main seal, If you want a 1 piece main seal Motor then Probably 75-100 again for a REBUILDABLE LONG Block, But if you want to go with a Vortec REBUILDABLE LONG block then be prepaired to spend 200-300 bucks because of the Vortec heads and Roller Cam hell I have seen the vortec heads them selves go for 200-300

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You are saying you have a VORTEC 350 Block with TBI head's???? Why the hell didnt you use the vortec heads?

You should be able to get a REBUILDABLE LONG Block Pre-87 for 50 bux because they were the 2 peice rear main seal, If you want a 1 piece main seal Motor then Probably 75-100 again for a REBUILDABLE LONG Block, But if you want to go with a Vortec REBUILDABLE LONG block then be prepaired to spend 200-300 bucks because of the Vortec heads and Roller Cam hell I have seen the vortec heads them selves go for 200-300

I'm not a jew, I'm poor :flipthebird: !!! :roflbow:

Maybe I shoulda read, I didn't realzie he was talking Vortec block. No, you won't find one of those for $100-$150. I am reffering to old school carbed engines, Pre 87 2 pc rear mains.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size

Maybe I shoulda read, I didn't realzie he was talking Vortec block. No, you won't find one of those for $100-$150. I am reffering to old school carbed engines, Pre 87 2 pc rear mains.

:lmao:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

I didnt rig up the 350 the way it is. Someone else did.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

I wasnt referring to vortec block. I want a 350 block that I can build with. Not those aluminum blocks that aint worth crap to build with.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I wasnt referring to vortec block. I want a 350 block that I can build with. Not those aluminum blocks that aint worth crap to build with.

no offense Dave but it doesnt sound like you even know what you have the Vortec 5.7 Block is NOT an aluminuim

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
no offense Dave but it doesnt sound like you even know what you have the Vortec 5.7 Block is NOT an aluminuim

I was told the best 350 blocks to build with was pre 87 and cant do very much with anything newer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS