Whats a 350 carb engine block worth that needs rebuilt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
So why not just rebuild what you got? I thought you bought that 88 pick up for the motor to put in the 2500 to be a towing and hauling rig? Wasn't that a newer motor and petered out cuz of bad 700r4?

Cause now I'm sure its 350 or 305 low mileage motor. The truck vin states "H" which is 305. But whatever it is its going in anyway for now/temp. I wanna be working on to build something better later on though.

So there could be senerios on the newer engine.

1- The PO didnt know he 305 in it and bought 350 for it.

2- I got took on this deal

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Cause now I'm sure its 350 or 305 low mileage motor. The truck vin states "H" which is 305. But whatever it is its going in anyway for now/temp. I wanna be working on to build something better later on though.

So there could be senerios on the newer engine.

1- The PO didnt know he 305 in it and bought 350 for it.

2- I got took on this deal

I'd say he bought a 350 and knew he was getting a 350 and replaced the 305. Cuz you said its a Heche en Mexico crate motor right? Then its a 350 cuz they didn't make 305's. 350 small blocks and 454 big blocks only.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Dave you got me so ******* confused now.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:lol: I thought I was the only one!

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Dave seriously. Do you remember what my signature was at the other site?
"count to 10 before you post"

I know I am gonna regret this but what the hell.
What are you needing a tow haul truck for now?
Last I knew was you only pull a trailer with lawn mowers to repair. Dude how much power you need to pull a little ole lawn mower? Seriously My Blazer will pull what you need to pull, (it has many times). Havent we been down this road before?

Another question i know I am gonna regret but again what the hell.

Why would you want a GEN I 2 piece rear main seal block to build? There known for leaking. The GEN II Block is the same but it has a 1 piece rear main seal, The GEN III (Vortec Block) IS NOT ALUMINUIM the only difference in it is is is casted for the roller lifers? Why not just Rebuild the Vortec Block you already have, Then Find you a set of Vortec Heads and a Vortec TBI intake if your still running the TBI.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Dave seriously. Do you remember what my signature was at the other site?
"count to 10 before you post"

I know I am gonna regret this but what the hell.
What are you needing a tow haul truck for now?
Last I knew was you only pull a trailer with lawn mowers to repair. Dude how much power you need to pull a little ole lawn mower? Seriously My Blazer will pull what you need to pull, (it has many times). Havent we been down this road before?

Another question i know I am gonna regret but again what the hell.

Why would you want a GEN I 2 piece rear main seal block to build? There known for leaking. The GEN II Block is the same but it has a 1 piece rear main seal, The GEN III (Vortec Block) IS NOT ALUMINUIM the only difference in it is is is casted for the roller lifers? Why not just Rebuild the Vortec Block you already have, Then Find you a set of Vortec Heads and a Vortec TBI intake if your still running the TBI.

I didnt confuse anyone.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
That's right !!! Probably a 305, and it wasn't nothing more special than any other 305 as far as the block. Just a BS RPO code IMO, maybe a little bigger cam, or TPI, but still a wee o five nontheless. Its not worth $50 if its a 305.

Check those engine serial numbers before you buy! The only "High-Output" smallblock Chevy I ever heard of was the 305 H.O. found in mid/late 80s camaros and montes.

Ok I questioned that high output and here's what the guy said.

high outputs can be on anysize motor . go to google and look up engine id numbers and look at all the diffrent out puts and this block says 350 stamped right on it. and i would think its the compents that make a motor high output .so if its a bare block like i have .its just going to be a bare 350 block ill send the numbers in a few.its raining here and the block is outside

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I personally think the guy if full of :poop: . But did you ask him for the cast # on the back left of the block where the driver side head surface would end? If so, what's the #'s? We can tell you what the #'s are , then all you have to do is very the # is correct with what he told you. And to make sure he didnt grind or add to the #'s to make sure it was something else.

Real common in Olds, an F head is very rare and expensive, so some will take an E head, grind off the bottom leg of the E and make it look like an F and sell a $100 set of heads for $600-$1000. Got be smarter than the crooks Dave, we're just watching your back.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I personally think the guy if full of :poop: . But did you ask him for the cast # on the back left of the block where the driver side head surface would end? If so, what's the #'s? We can tell you what the #'s are , then all you have to do is very the # is correct with what he told you. And to make sure he didnt grind or add to the #'s to make sure it was something else.

Real common in Olds, an F head is very rare and expensive, so some will take an E head, grind off the bottom leg of the E and make it look like an F and sell a $100 set of heads for $600-$1000. Got be smarter than the crooks Dave, we're just watching your back.

He's getting those numbers and pictures of the bare block right now.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's the numbers 3970010. He looked them at smallblockchevyid.com

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's the numbers 3970010. He looked them at smallblockchevyid.com

That is the most common 350 cast code, so its a 2pc rear main seal and can be either 2 or 4 bolt main. I don't even have to lool that one up. Also used for large journal 327. But yes, its a 350 block. 3970014 is also a 350 block and I am about 100% positive, the 3970014 block is 4 bolt main. But the 10 block can be either.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's the engine code k0614drb

This means the block was cast in Canada on June 16th. Also means its a 79 350 170hp 4bbl carb, Auto Trans from a full size vehicle, maybe a truck which would make it a 4bolt main.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man