What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Done. Last pic is a piece that hasn't been through the straightener, and one that has. Does it do as good of a job as the $200 straightener? Nope, but for $35 or so, I'm pleased with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Done. Last pic is a piece that hasn't been through the straightener, and one that has.

You must be registered for see images

Cannot see these files :(

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah they're good now :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Done. Last pic is a piece that hasn't been through the straightener, and one that has. Does it do as good of a job as the $200 straightener? Nope, but for $35 or so, I'm pleased with it.

That worked out well !!! :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice job Foamy

Posted From Hell

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
What have I done to the square lately...

Bent a rod! :Grenade:

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Connecting rod

Tennager came out in me again... We got 2.8 inches of rain in 20 minutes and came to a parking lot with about a foot of standing water. Well... I modocked through it and the engine died... Never to be started again. After pouring the water off the intake, I realized the engine took a large gulp of water. I removed the glow plugs right there in the parking lot and it still didn't crank. I had a buddy pull me around the lot and tried pull-starting it... It locked up all 4 back tires and didn't budge the engine an inch. Its toast.

I thought about an LS swap buuut the engines coming out of my 96 Ford Powerstroke because of a scratched up piston/cylinder (forgot the technical name). Yay me

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohhh well you did more than bend a con rod then. That's one thing people forget, water DOES NOT compress. and yep, that is the most common way of twisting a con rod. I once point it out to guy. He was replacing his head gaskets cuz he blew one on a short overheat. He had the heads off and at the machine shop to checked for cracks and a valve job since they were off. I was telling him, you prolly ought to just do the whole motor since the valve job and head resurface is likely to raise the compression ratio and in no time, be burning oil from tired rings that couldn't handle the raise in compression. He didn't want to. So I said, let me see your cylinder walls and that is a good indication of how worn the cylinders and rings are. The cylinders actually looked ok. Not alot of glaze and still have a bit of crosshatching pattern left and no fingernail drag at the ridges except one cylinder had a little. What he didn't notice was the little mark on the piston that points to the front of the motor on 1 piston was at about 3:15-3:30pm instead of 3:00 pm straight forward. I pointed it out to him that it was in a different position than the rest. He had no clue what that meant. I told him the bad news. It means you have a bent con rod on that cylinder. And he then asked HTF did this happen? I asked him if that was the cylinder where the head gasket blew. He didn't know. Couldn't tell it on the block side, so I asked if he had the head gaskets and he did. I showed him where the head gasket blew on the head side. He had gotten water in that cylinder when it came up on compression stroke. Water does not compress, so something has to give. In this case it happen to be the rod twisted. Needless to say, Yep, he ended up with a Re Rung motor. I gave him a used 5.7 rod and had the same piston pressed on it. Then we weighed the rod and piston assemblies and ended up taking off like 4 grams of weight off that bastard rod, re re rung it, new bearings, along with the fresh valve job, so it was like a new motor when we got done with it.

So, with that long story, point is, it is easy to overlook little things like that if you don't know what to be looking for.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Yup I hadn't a clue what happened when it did. I called up a buddy of mine who happens to be a diesel mechanic. The very first question he asked was "How hard did you hit the water". I said I was haulin balls when I hit it. There was a silence at the other end of the line lol. Then he said start by taking out the glow plugs, I "may" be lucky lol. I wasn't...

Even after he said I sucked some water into the cylinder it didn't dawn on me "how" it happened. Then he finally explained exacly what you just said: Sucked water in on the intake stroke then tried to compress it. Water don't compres lol.

Lucky for me, he just happens to have a 6.2 laying around he is willing to give me. He is one hell of a friend lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup I hadn't a clue what happened when it did. I called up a buddy of mine who happens to be a diesel mechanic. The very first question he asked was "How hard did you hit the water". I said I was haulin balls when I hit it. There was a silence at the other end of the line lol. Then he said start by taking out the glow plugs, I "may" be lucky lol. I wasn't...

Even after he said I sucked some water into the cylinder it didn't dawn on me "how" it happened. Then he finally explained exacly what you just said: Sucked water in on the intake stroke then tried to compress it. Water don't compres lol.

Lucky for me, he just happens to have a 6.2 laying around he is willing to give me. He is one hell of a friend lol.

:rofl: Now you know why you see those trucks with those stupid ass looking snorkels. .:happy175:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear

Saw one at a local pull it today to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06