Well, CRAP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
So I got my 97 K1500 Burb and love driving it. We knew it had a coolant leak when we got it and suspected the front heater core. Pulled out the heater core and it looked new. Went ahead and changed it on general principle (188k worth of GP). Started nosing around under the hood and the heater hose connector coming out of the intake was looking much worse for wear so we changed that, thought we had it taken care of. Added a little water over the next couple weeks thinking that we just hadn't got it burped well.

Well, Wednesday I loaded up the burb for a long weekend of camping. Driving 200 miles out I added 3/4 gallon of water. Driving back, about 1 1/4 gallon. A quick trip underneath shows rust trails fore and aft coming out of the valley. ****!!!

Guess I'm looking at replacing the intake gaskets.

So the only other thing I noticed is that loaded down the steering gets a bit squirrelly.

So, how much of a PITA is changing the Intake gaskets? Also, any ideas on why it gets squirrelly when loaded? I was not towing a trailer but I did have a hitch carrier on.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Intake gaskets isn't really all that hard its just a lot of crap to remove and r&r when you do it.

By the way if you are going as far as the intake gaskets look into the spider injector as well.

The vortecs are notorious for them failing.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
By the way if you are going as far as the intake gaskets look into the spider injector as well.

The vortecs are notorious for them failing.

Ok, you got me. I'm checking NAPA and I don't see anything about a spider injector. I see fuel injectors (8 required) but I'm hoping you aren't talking about replacing all of those as that is an extra $250 -$300 I wasn't planning on spending.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, you got me. I'm checking NAPA and I don't see anything about a spider injector. I see fuel injectors (8 required) but I'm hoping you aren't talking about replacing all of those as that is an extra $250 -$300 I wasn't planning on spending.

You can be lucky and not have any issues with the spider injector for as long as you have the vehicle.

That is why I said take a look while your in there. This is a writeup on the spider injector:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Poor-Mans-Repair-Guide-For-ChevyGMC-Vortec-Fuel-I/

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I would check the ball joints and tie-rod ends to fix the squirrelly condition. I would bet you have some bad lower ball joints.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I would check the ball joints and tie-rod ends to fix the squirrelly condition. I would bet you have some bad lower ball joints.

PO just did a front end inspection a couple months back. I trust his judgement on that. He and I did a road trip about 4-5 years ago in it and it did the same thing pulling a trailer. I just don't know with that. Hard to imagine we had enough weight behind the rear axle to start lighten the front axle in any significant manner but that is how it feels.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454

Latest posts