The wisest way to modernize a C20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Camar068 & the other folk interested here are the pics of the dump bed. This is going to take multiple posts, While I doubt this is a modernization modification it is certainly the best modification on the truck.

Ok so lets start with just looking at the truck.
Looks pretty normal no? BTW that softopper is the second best modification!

You must be registered for see images attach

Cab to bed gap. I think it's an inch or so wider than factory. There is another square in the shop currently I should measure and see.

Even if there is a slightly wider gap it's hard to tell from the outside.

Below: The ram and hinge setup

Below: the lower mount

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hinge / Ram top mount to bed. Notice how it mounts to a box frame which puts the upward pressure on two of the beds cross members.

Bed hinge LR

Bed hinge RR

Pump and tank unit. This unit started out on the outside of the frame. When I got the truck and started running it around doing feed run for the farm and such the range of one tank was not enough for me, so when I added the second tank I had to move the pump to the inside of the frame as seen in the picture. Let me tell you that was a real lou lou, none of the bracketry would fit since it's the inside of the channel, and once I'd found some metal in my scrap pile I could make into a mount, I mounted it to high and the bed would hit it, so I had to move it down a bit. Anyhow got it sorted out and mounted good and strong.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Then I had to go and put dual exhaust on the truck.
As you'll see in a moment the passenger side muffler is just a few inches below the tank and pump assembly, so I had to put a heat shield in there.

As a side benefit exhaust differential and fuel tank work is super easy. I can pop a my sending units out in just a few minutes!

Of course the filler necks no longer go to the factory fill point, instead they are rerouted to in the fender well.

The passenger side filler is pictured above. It's easy to fill tanks even with the bed closed, but with a load on the drivers side can be tricky, so when I added the second tank I made my own mount for the filler neck, which is of course nothing more than a piece of metal with a 90 degree bend but it orients the filler a little different.

The truck has one of those typical chrome step bumpers, but in order for the bed to dump without it running into the bumper the bumper is mounted to the bed instead of the frame, this is done with a simple bracket you might be able to see in the hinge pictures. The bumper will hit the receiver hitch, most kits (if this was in fact a kit) instruct you either to not have a hitch or mount it further forward on the frame and use an extension for towing. That's how the PO had it setup, and that's fine for a small utility trailer, but wasn't going to work for me with my trailer. So I bought a heavy duty, hitch, mounted it where it should be and cut the bottom part of the bumper out, below the license plate. The result is I have a proper hitch, and a bumper that looks right.

I'll never have another pickup without a dump kit on it, unless of course I was using it for a slide in camper or 5th wheel ect.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Not sure it's considered modern, but I installed a hanging tool pouch/organizer behind the seat, and have drawers under the seat for tool and misc. stuff that I figure may be needed while out driving. Storage is for sure a priority for me in a single cab, so I try as many smart solutions as possible. I don't require too many modern comforts, although a working ac unit would be nice, and a sound system will get put in when budget allows.
Any pics of the drawers under your seat? I'm looking at something like that as well as a behind the seat organizer that sits on the floor

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@SirRobyn0 "As a side benefit exhaust differential and fuel tank work is super easy. I can pop a my sending units out in just a few minutes!"

Thats why I'm interested in it. Would be great for keeping it clean under there as well.
Thanks for the pics.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@SirRobyn0 another thing is I've got wasted space in the saddle tank area as I've done the 'burb tank upgrade. I couldn't do it like your's, but if it could be done...tool boxes, water tanks, side winch....it's just wasted space currently.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 another thing is I've got wasted space in the saddle tank area as I've done the 'burb tank upgrade. I couldn't do it like your's, but if it could be done...tool boxes, water tanks, side winch....it's just wasted space currently.
Ya, I thought about doing the rear tank thing before I installed the second saddle. I thought it would have been cool to mount tool boxes to the frame, cut the bed so you'd have access to the boxes even with the bed closed, but I'd never be able to do the cut the bed part and make it look good and professional. But it would be neat. Right now my space tire space is wasted as you can't have a spare there with the dump bed, or at least it's not easy to reconfigure that space to accept a spare, especially with the heavy duty hitch back there.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Well I quite agree and I wouldn't call all of my modifications modern. Like the running boards I intentionally searched out a pair of running boards that were old so they'd look correct. My homemade shelf. Here it is right after installation. Sure is nice to have that bit of space to put my crap in the small cab of the square. Also that is a lighted rearview mirror, though ya can't tell. It looks original. The map lights are great to just flip on and really help the dome light out when the doors are open.

Need a light?

Yup that's right, a maglite mounted on a charging base and wired into the truck. Charging cradle is between the seat and cup holder. Which by the way the cheap cup holders that just set on the floor have worked out well for me as I've always got something to drink with me. And yes that's a massive set of channel locks tucked up close to the drivers seat.
I do have a softopper now, but not sure it falls within what you are asking about, but I love the chit out of it. The bed stays dry but I can fold the thing down in a minute or so.

And the dump bed. I really should take some pictures of the workings of the dump bed one of these days, but this is actually me loading a 600LB food prep table on the truck which is on the farm now and has been repurpose for chicken stuff, but anyhow you can see the bed dumped and my setup to pull that table up and in.
KOOL!

J.B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Great additions! That dump bed is hecka kool! When I saw "moderize", I thought that would mean LS engines, computers, etc., and was wondering, "why"? Why add everything bad about today's vehicles to a perfectly good truck?

J.B.

Orion

Reaction score
First Name
Orion
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
Small Block 350
I made a steel rack for my stereo amps, etc that bolts to the cab behind the seat. Rather than putting multiple screws for each amp thru the cab, the amps (and everything else) attaches to the rack. The rack bolts to the cab with Four 1/4 bolts. And the best part is I used aluminum nutserts in the cab. No rust. Don't want the holes if you remove the rack, just put in some 1/4" x1/4" bolts and forget about it. I LOVE nutserts. I put that S!!T on everything!
Pictures?

Oldbear42

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 LWB Scottsdale
Engine Size
Not sure it's considered modern, but I installed a hanging tool pouch/organizer behind the seat, and have drawers under the seat for tool and misc. stuff that I figure may be needed while out driving. Storage is for sure a priority for me in a single cab, so I try as many smart solutions as possible. I don't require too many modern comforts, although a working ac unit would be nice, and a sound system will get put in when budget allows.
And now I need to find some vinyl that matches the interior and take a bottle of whisky to my upholstery friend.

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Is the back cab wall double-walled? Just wondering if some short screws can go into in without coming out the other side!
yes - enuf to get the job done - more clearance is "up high below the glass" - did it in my '84 about 25 yrs ago

emoze

Reaction score
First Name
lary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
the dump bed. I really should take some pictures of the workings of the dump bed one of these days, but this is actually me loading a 600LB food prep table on the truck which is on the farm now and has been repurpose for chicken stuff, but anyhow you can see the bed dumped and my setup to pull that table up and in.
NICE - always wanted to do that - kits were too much $$$$ tho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1