The wisest way to modernize a C20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Anyone else’s square have some genius modernized upgrades that keep the truck original as possible?
Those things take more effort, but are so valuable to those of us dealing with them decades later.
The old man who owned this one knew wisdom while still wanting modern capabilities.
You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well I quite agree and I wouldn't call all of my modifications modern. Like the running boards I intentionally searched out a pair of running boards that were old so they'd look correct. My homemade shelf. Here it is right after installation. Sure is nice to have that bit of space to put my crap in the small cab of the square. Also that is a lighted rearview mirror, though ya can't tell. It looks original. The map lights are great to just flip on and really help the dome light out when the doors are open.

Need a light?

Yup that's right, a maglite mounted on a charging base and wired into the truck. Charging cradle is between the seat and cup holder. Which by the way the cheap cup holders that just set on the floor have worked out well for me as I've always got something to drink with me. And yes that's a massive set of channel locks tucked up close to the drivers seat.
I do have a softopper now, but not sure it falls within what you are asking about, but I love the chit out of it. The bed stays dry but I can fold the thing down in a minute or so.

And the dump bed. I really should take some pictures of the workings of the dump bed one of these days, but this is actually me loading a 600LB food prep table on the truck which is on the farm now and has been repurpose for chicken stuff, but anyhow you can see the bed dumped and my setup to pull that table up and in.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
Not sure it's considered modern, but I installed a hanging tool pouch/organizer behind the seat, and have drawers under the seat for tool and misc. stuff that I figure may be needed while out driving. Storage is for sure a priority for me in a single cab, so I try as many smart solutions as possible. I don't require too many modern comforts, although a working ac unit would be nice, and a sound system will get put in when budget allows.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Not sure it's considered modern, but I installed a hanging tool pouch/organizer behind the seat, and have drawers under the seat for tool and misc. stuff that I figure may be needed while out driving. Storage is for sure a priority for me in a single cab, so I try as many smart solutions as possible. I don't require too many modern comforts, although a working ac unit would be nice, and a sound system will get put in when budget allows.
I have one of those pouches but do not want to punch any holes in the cab. I'm thinking industrial magnets with hooks maybe? Not like it'll be used for much in my rig anyways.

perky

Reaction score
First Name
Perky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
V8
I have one of those pouches but do not want to punch any holes in the cab. I'm thinking industrial magnets with hooks maybe? Not like it'll be used for much in my rig anyways.
I think you probably could use magnets to hold it up if it doesn't get as much use as mine lol. Mine has all my tools and a rifle pouch. The cab is double walled, so if you drill into it, it's not going to go all the way through. It kinda hurt my heart to drill on it, but in the end it was simple and fits well, so I'd try to steer you that way.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well I quite agree and I wouldn't call all of my modifications modern. Like the running boards I intentionally searched out a pair of running boards that were old so they'd look correct. My homemade shelf. Here it is right after installation. Sure is nice to have that bit of space to put my crap in the small cab of the square. Also that is a lighted rearview mirror, though ya can't tell. It looks original. The map lights are great to just flip on and really help the dome light out when the doors are open.

Need a light?

Yup that's right, a maglite mounted on a charging base and wired into the truck. Charging cradle is between the seat and cup holder. Which by the way the cheap cup holders that just set on the floor have worked out well for me as I've always got something to drink with me. And yes that's a massive set of channel locks tucked up close to the drivers seat.
I do have a softopper now, but not sure it falls within what you are asking about, but I love the chit out of it. The bed stays dry but I can fold the thing down in a minute or so.

And the dump bed. I really should take some pictures of the workings of the dump bed one of these days, but this is actually me loading a 600LB food prep table on the truck which is on the farm now and has been repurpose for chicken stuff, but anyhow you can see the bed dumped and my setup to pull that table up and in.
It's like a "Mullet" truck,! Picnic on the inside, dump truck on the outside.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Earth Magnets!
I made a steel rack for my stereo amps, etc that bolts to the cab behind the seat. Rather than putting multiple screws for each amp thru the cab, the amps (and everything else) attaches to the rack. The rack bolts to the cab with Four 1/4 bolts. And the best part is I used aluminum nutserts in the cab. No rust. Don't want the holes if you remove the rack, just put in some 1/4" x1/4" bolts and forget about it. I LOVE nutserts. I put that S!!T on everything!

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Is the back cab wall double-walled? Just wondering if some short screws can go into in without coming out the other side!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

Need a light?

yes please with the pics on the dump bed

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Camar068 These are the existing pictures I have. If I think of it and get a chance I'll grab some better ones that show the workings of it better. In the below picture you can kind of see the hinge and the ram under there.

And here you can see the bottom part of the hinge and the ram.

Here you can see the pump. It use to be mounted on the outside of the frame before I installed that second tank which at the time of the picture had just been installed. Now I've got dual exhaust on the truck so checking the fluid which needs to be done with the bed closed is quite a bit harder but it's my own damn fault lol.

I'll really try to take some on purpose pictures of the dump works in the next few days.

What I know, is that the bed sits perfectly level with the cab, but is spaced back about an inch, it really looks quite normal with the bed shut. This was installed by my friend who was the PO in the mid-90's. I know that the hinge and the ram were made by Pierce arrow. However the pump and reservoir were made by another manufacture and was designed to be on a liftgate truck. So I don't know if the pump failed at some point and he just found a liftgate pump, or if he cobbled the thing together, but I'll tell you it works well! I've been inadvertently loaded with 1.5 tons of gravel at the local material yard, and it will push that up. No kidding and the bed doesn't even twitch.

Attachments

• 1708575961537.png
    1708575961537.png
    933.4 KB · Views: 17

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@Camar068 These are the existing pictures I have. If I think of it and get a chance I'll grab some better ones that show the workings of it better. In the below picture you can kind of see the hinge and the ram under there.

And here you can see the bottom part of the hinge and the ram.

Here you can see the pump. It use to be mounted on the outside of the frame before I installed that second tank which at the time of the picture had just been installed. Now I've got dual exhaust on the truck so checking the fluid which needs to be done with the bed closed is quite a bit harder but it's my own damn fault lol.

I'll really try to take some on purpose pictures of the dump works in the next few days.

What I know, is that the bed sits perfectly level with the cab, but is spaced back about an inch, it really looks quite normal with the bed shut. This was installed by my friend who was the PO in the mid-90's. I know that the hinge and the ram were made by Pierce arrow. However the pump and reservoir were made by another manufacture and was designed to be on a liftgate truck. So I don't know if the pump failed at some point and he just found a liftgate pump, or if he cobbled the thing together, but I'll tell you it works well! I've been inadvertently loaded with 1.5 tons of gravel at the local material yard, and it will push that up. No kidding and the bed doesn't even twitch.
looking forward to the pics :)