Th400/NP208 to 700R4/NP208 Conversion V2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

v2500burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
350ci
Guess I'll just need to get use to driving a bit slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Guess I'll just need to get use to driving a bit slower.

Why? Those high speeds won't hurt it a bit. Just keep up on your oil changes, but you are supposed to do that anyway.

v2500burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
350ci
I religiously check and change ALL fluids
Borderline OCD
HA HA
here is a new question
Contemplating changing transmission fluid pan to a larger pan (extra 1.5 quarts) with a drain plug
Any suggestions on if that's worth it???
And how can I pull the old pan without getting covered in fluid??

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I religiously check and change ALL fluids
Borderline OCD
HA HA
here is a new question
Contemplating changing transmission fluid pan to a larger pan (extra 1.5 quarts) with a drain plug
Any suggestions on if that's worth it???
And how can I pull the old pan without getting covered in fluid??

I used the b&m pan for my 700r4 it was $50 or close to. It came with the filter extension and retainer spring for the filter. It is also nice because the inside of the pan is not chromed so you don't need to worry about that stuff flaking off inside your transmission unlike some of the other pans that are chromed inside and cost just as much with out an extension. FYI you can not run a deep pan with out the extension.

As for the benefits. Increased fluid capacity will prevent temperature extremes. It is much more difficult or in other words it takes longer to over heat larger quantities of fluid.

There is still no substitute for a good external transmission cooler hooked in line with the rad. In to the rad then through the cooler and back to the tranny. This way the rad gets the fluid up to temp and the cooler keeps it from getting to hot.

A cooler with a deep sump pan will greatly lengthen the life of a transmission barring other factors that contribute to transmission failure like super big tires with tall gearing or improperly adjusted TV cables etc....

When dropping the pan loosen all the bolts but do not remove the ones facing the front of vehicle. Remove all the other bolts and then slowly loosen the remaining side so that the pan slowly lowers and drains out the opposite side. Its still a crap shoot when it comes to making a mess. That's why even if you don't get a deep pan it is still nice to replace the stock one with one that has a drain bung. You could also install one in your stock pan on the cheap.

You can also get the pans in finned cast aluminum which will disperse heat on top of everything else. And if your really extreme you can get pans with tubes inserted in the bottom of the pans to allow air flow through.

On the flip side of all that you can get external transmission coolers with a mounted electric fan and temp sensor, which would really ensure that the heat is kept in check but they are pricy too.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I used the b&m pan for my 700r4 it was $50 or close to. It came with the filter extension and retainer spring for the filter. It is also nice because the inside of the pan is not chromed so you don't need to worry about that stuff flaking off inside your transmission unlike some of the other pans that are chromed inside and cost just as much with out an extension. FYI you can not run a deep pan with out the extension.

As for the benefits. Increased fluid capacity will prevent temperature extremes. It is much more difficult or in other words it takes longer to over heat larger quantities of fluid.

There is still no substitute for a good external transmission cooler hooked in line with the rad. In to the rad then through the cooler and back to the tranny. This way the rad gets the fluid up to temp and the cooler keeps it from getting to hot.

A cooler with a deep sump pan will greatly lengthen the life of a transmission barring other factors that contribute to transmission failure like super big tires with tall gearing or improperly adjusted TV cables etc....

When dropping the pan loosen all the bolts but do not remove the ones facing the front of vehicle. Remove all the other bolts and then slowly loosen the remaining side so that the pan slowly lowers and drains out the opposite side. Its still a crap shoot when it comes to making a mess. That's why even if you don't get a deep pan it is still nice to replace the stock one with one that has a drain bung. You could also install one in your stock pan on the cheap.

You can also get the pans in finned cast aluminum which will disperse heat on top of everything else. And if your really extreme you can get pans with tubes inserted in the bottom of the pans to allow air flow through.

On the flip side of all that you can get external transmission coolers with a mounted electric fan and temp sensor, which would really ensure that the heat is kept in check but they are pricy too.
Good info! Where did you get that b&m pan from? I'm Kinda wanting a different pan.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I used 70289

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks!

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Your welcome

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I personally like the shorty headers. They dump in the stock location and use the factory style connection to the exhaust. Edelbrock sells a y pipe for 4x4 applications to go with their shorties but they want a fortune!

You would be better off with long tube headers for all out power gains but you also get extreme under hood temps to deal with as well. That's why I like the shorties for a 4x4 rig. Im still using cast iron w manifolds but with 2 1/2 dual exhaust exactly for that reason.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I personally like the shorty headers. They dump in the stock location and use the factory style connection to the exhaust. Edelbrock sells a y pipe for 4x4 applications to go with their shorties but they want a fortune!

Didn't Edelbrock get out of the header business? I have their 68643 shorty set that I bought a few years ago, which would be the correct set for the op, but headers aren't even listed in their catalog anymore.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh could be, its been a few years since I looked at those edelbrock headers. I have seen other companies making pretty much the same thing lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris