Tailgate Shakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
She closes all the way right in the middle of the strikers. I just put new bedsides on her and the tailgate opened and closed ok before the beside replacement. Are the latches junk? Both at the same time? I am worried about the tailgate glass with a wiggley tailgate. Before I take out the latches tomorrow I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. I am going to see if I can "fix" the old latches after removing them. Maybey there is a bad spring or a worn out tooth on the latch or....? Does anyone know of a good tailge latch replacement? LMC truck has only the latches up until '77 which I am buying (they are only $10 each) and k5 is an '84 . The latch I am buying is in the '73 to '91 section so hopefully the older ones work with the "newer" body style. They look the same in the picture on LMC truck as what is on my truck even tough the years might not line up exactly....

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
She closes all the way right in the middle of the strikers. I just put new bedsides on her and the tailgate opened and closed ok before the beside replacement. Are the latches junk? Both at the same time? I am worried about the tailgate glass with a wiggley tailgate. Before I take out the latches tomorrow I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this. I am going to see if I can "fix" the old latches after removing them. Maybey there is a bad spring or a worn out tooth on the latch or....? Does anyone know of a good tailge latch replacement? LMC truck has only the latches up until '77 which I am buying (they are only $10 each) and k5 is an '84 . The latch I am buying is in the '73 to '91 section so hopefully the older ones work with the "newer" body style. They look the same in the picture on LMC truck as what is on my truck even tough the years might not line up exactly....
Do you have the rubber tailgate bumpers installed on the bedsides?

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
She only had weather stripping along the "C" pillar where the steel alignment tab on the tailgate slides into. I suppose it could have acted like a bumper. I could probably install some weather stripping there and see if that helps.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
Do you have the rubber tailgate bumpers installed on the bedsides?
Do you have a photo of the location of the tailgate bumper? There is a small hole right below the guide slot... She still isnt staying tight. No amount of weather stripping along the "C" pillar will "bump" into the tailgate as it shuts.... Weather stripping this tailgate is going to be a nightmare. I wonder if the bedsides I bought suck or if it is me. I have moved the hinges a couple of times to get as much out of the bolt holes as I can. She lines up nice on the jambs inside but is out at least a quater inch on the outside. Makes the tailgate look like its not really on there which it isn't.

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Do you have a photo of the location of the tailgate bumper? There is a small hole right below the guide slot... She still isnt staying tight. No amount of weather stripping along the "C" pillar will "bump" into the tailgate as it shuts.... Weather stripping this tailgate is going to be a nightmare. I wonder if the bedsides I bought suck or if it is me. I have moved the hinges a couple of times to get as much out of the bolt holes as I can. She lines up nice on the jambs inside but is out at least a quater inch on the outside. Makes the tailgate look like its not really on there which it isn't.
There are for sure two maybe three, on each side. I didn't have the right pic in my phone.
You must be registered for see images attach

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I would be curious if the rear wheels are out of true or tire imbalance is causing the vibration to begin with.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
There are for sure two maybe three, on each side. I didn't have the right pic in my phone.

That is the older style tailgate. I have an '84 with the removable hard top, glass and manual crank. LMC does not sell bumpers for the '84 nor do they appear on the schematic. I have yet to drive her since instslling the new bedsides so wheele rattle issues may still be to come!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
That is the older style tailgate. I have an '84 with the removable hard top, glass and manual crank. LMC does not sell bumpers for the '84 nor do they appear on the schematic. I have yet to drive her since instslling the new bedsides so wheele rattle issues may still be to come!
I'm not well versed in blazers. My 84 suburban has a bumper or two, then there's some kind of plastic "alignment" plate. Haven't paid attention to it in a long while, but regardless I'm sure it's different than a blazer.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

these are from a TSB about window closing poorly. Do you have the rubber wedge, and do you see the other thing it talks about
Me thinks you have a rattling window

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe