Connect phone to factory AM radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a deal in my 77 Cadillac that plugs in between the radio and antenna cable, and then there is a box under the dash. You can select AM or FM and the station. Has a 3/8" cord off of it. Came from Radioishack years ago when they still had brick and mortor stores. You might be able to do a websearch and find something similar.

The other option is a transmitter of some sort.

Probably a Realistic brand?

I miss all the cool (and very handy) aftermarket items that used to be available.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Probably a Realistic brand?

I miss all the cool (and very handy) aftermarket items that used to be available.
I very much agree. I remember being able to get aftermarket delay wiper boxes, you probably remember them JC Whitney and a few others use to carry them. Yea, mounted it under the dash, wired it in and just turned the knob for the amount of delay desired. Last time I looked for one for a customer the few I could still find being made were in the $90 range! JC Whitney use to carry door storage pockets, that you could mount to the door and it was a vinyl pocket, with a stretchy top. I have a set in my now seldom used Dodge pickup, but they started out in a Buick in the mid-90's, then I put them in Oldsmobile I had after that, and finally into the Dodge. They are still in great shape. Would love to have a pair for the Square, but none seem to make them any more...

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I very much agree. I remember being able to get aftermarket delay wiper boxes, you probably remember them JC Whitney and a few others use to carry them. Yea, mounted it under the dash, wired it in and just turned the knob for the amount of delay desired. Last time I looked for one for a customer the few I could still find being made were in the $90 range! JC Whitney use to carry door storage pockets, that you could mount to the door and it was a vinyl pocket, with a stretchy top. I have a set in my now seldom used Dodge pickup, but they started out in a Buick in the mid-90's, then I put them in Oldsmobile I had after that, and finally into the Dodge. They are still in great shape. Would love to have a pair for the Square, but none seem to make them any more...
My dad put in a jc pulse wiper box and added it to his Pontiac T1000 when I was a kid. I remember thinking how cool that was.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ya, but Mike those aren't road directions she's spewing....
100% of the time she says take this exit 100 feet beyond the offramp. I used to argue but in my older age I just do whatever she says knowing it's wrong. Three exits later while we're backtracking you would think she would apologize....nope. You would think she would learn the next time....nope. The key to survival is having some snacks (jerky, candy bar, etc.) hidden to prevent getting "hangry" for you, NOT her. You gotta be discreet! A hungry woman tends to cooperate more than a non-hungry woman.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yep! The old JC Whitney catalogs were great. Several years ago, I installed an NOS aftermarket delay wiper box in my Suburban. I had that delay box (and another one too) since the late 90's and I finally got to use it, lol.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My trucks cig lighter has been transformed to a 12V power source so you can, plug in to use power from the battery(tire inflator), charge stuff(cell phone), or I have a cheap Bluetooth insert from Wally World(Wal Mart) that I plug in to listen to personal music with through my phone. When you connect to it from your phone the Bluetooth will put all incoming calls though your speakers like your trucks audio is your phone. It is connected to Bluetooth through an FM channel though... There are some guys on here that do this too right? Help me out.
My ash tray is no longer an ash tray. The factory outlet / lighter is power all the time, and is the factory wiring. Then I added two power outlets where the ash tray use to be, that is wired to key on source. I use a standalone (garmin) GPS and having a power source that turns on and off with the key is a huge plus.
My dad put in a jc pulse wiper box and added it to his Pontiac T1000 when I was a kid. I remember thinking how cool that was.

Yep! The old JC Whitney catalogs were great. Several years ago, I installed an NOS aftermarket delay wiper box in my Suburban. I had that delay box (and another one too) since the late 90's and I finally got to use it, lol.
My square. The PO was really into electronics, and I don't mean computers, I mean like building things. For example my truck has what I believe to be a home brew wiper delay. So there is a black radioshack type project box under the dash. In side it is a circuit board, it is wired to a toggle switch on the dash. You flip the switch on and the wipers on delay. There is no way to vary the amount of delay from the dash controls, but there is a dashpot on the circuit board that I can turn with a screw driver to change it, and I'm glad I figured that out as it will gradually creep, so the delay gets longer and longer. I think I adjust it about once a year.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is pretty much where I was too. Bluetooth boombox on the dash or earbuds. Thanks for all the other ideas though. I wanted to make sure someone hadn’t found an obvious answer I’d overlooked.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just converted the factory AM radio in my 70 C10 to Bluetooth using a $20 Amazon Amp. I gutted the old radio and mounted the Amp so the original on/off/volume rheostat would control it. Someone else had the idea you could just wire the Amp to the power wire for the radio so it would come on any time the ignition was on and then control the volume with your phone. I wired it to a battery and some old speakers and the volume and sound quality sounded good to me.

Attachments

• 20240215_120815.jpg
    20240215_120815.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240215_160217.jpg
    IMG_20240215_160217.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240215_151417.jpg
    20240215_151417.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads