Connect phone to factory AM radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi guys! I would like some opinions on the best way to connect my phone to the factory am radio in my truck.

I’m planning on running the tailgate tour and power tour both this year and would like to explore options on having my phone play music or turn by turn directions from the factory speakers.

I know there are options out there to replace the head unit with a radio that does this but my factory stereo is fine and original. I’ve tried fm transmitters in the past without a ton of luck but this is am only. Has anyone done this and were you successful at all?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I used to use transmitters back in the day. Thats about the only option. If your radio has a cassette player you can get a cassette with an aux cord. That works the best but you have to have an aux port on your phone and a cassette player.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You're going to need to buy or build an A.M transmitter with Bluetooth or or Audio input jack.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
How handy are you with electronics? This might be an option, assuming the AM and AM/FM radios aren't too different internally?

My other thought would be getting a second/standalone stereo system or a small amplifier that has bluetooth compatibility. Get something like this if you don't need it too loud and want an easy install, or go on up to a 500w+ 2 or 4 channel and pick your speakers for either.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
This is really interesting. Never thought or had any idea I could modify our stock radios to do more.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Hi guys! I would like some opinions on the best way to connect my phone to the factory am radio in my truck.

I’m planning on running the tailgate tour and power tour both this year and would like to explore options on having my phone play music or turn by turn directions from the factory speakers.

I know there are options out there to replace the head unit with a radio that does this but my factory stereo is fine and original. I’ve tried fm transmitters in the past without a ton of luck but this is am only. Has anyone done this and were you successful at all?
I've been thinking about using am transmitters, but there aren't many options it seems.
This one is currently at the top of my list:

silverbackreef

Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Or use bone conduction headphones like these

Ears are open so you have situational awareness, sound is good, mic has good noise cancellation.

Work well for me. Good in the shop too....

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The transmitters are always "meh" for me, quality wise. IMO I'd just pony up the money for a RetroSound or similar headunit with bluetooth capability and keeping the stock look

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
Or just throw a bluetooth speaker up on the dash
this is what I do currently since the PO pulled all audio components out. It was really nice of him to cut 6x9 holes in the door panels though! The nice big holes can hold my thermos in there. :rolleyes:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Great idea but seems like an effort in futility. IMO, if you don’t want to upgrade the stereo, (and the original factory speakers sound like an old phonograph anyways) just use a Bluetooth speaker and make sure your cig lighter works to keep it charged all day.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a deal in my 77 Cadillac that plugs in between the radio and antenna cable, and then there is a box under the dash. You can select AM or FM and the station. Has a 3/8" cord off of it. Came from Radioishack years ago when they still had brick and mortor stores. You might be able to do a websearch and find something similar.

The other option is a transmitter of some sort.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
in a pinch I'd just do a bluetooth speaker until you know exactly what you want to do. Then once you've got the truck sound fixed, you've got a BT speaker for the garage. No money wasted.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
My trucks cig lighter has been transformed to a 12V power source so you can, plug in to use power from the battery(tire inflator), charge stuff(cell phone), or I have a cheap Bluetooth insert from Wally World(Wal Mart) that I plug in to listen to personal music with through my phone. When you connect to it from your phone the Bluetooth will put all incoming calls though your speakers like your trucks audio is your phone. It is connected to Bluetooth through an FM channel though... There are some guys on here that do this too right? Help me out.