Unusual radio issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The radio and amps are completely unplugged. The tiny amount of voltage is still there, it’s not coming from the radio.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Crud - I really thought it was going to be the radio..

Since I don't know how you disconnected the radio, I'll mention my next idea. Did you check the connectors. The red & yellow wires are next to each other. If they were touching that would allow constant power to bleed over to accessory. - Just a long shot.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    10 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.png
    2.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 23

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Some if us are so old we don’t recall particulars. But, the thing that popped into my head was an alternator issue causing this. Bad blocking diode and battery is feeding the radio thru charging circuit. Next time the radio stays on unplug the alt. See if that kills the radio.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I see Zener Diode's and resistors, installed on all your switches and relay circuits, in your future...
What do I know?

Search my post for Fly-Back isolation or search the internet.
Most of the links you find on your first page of results, will waste your time. You'll need to deep dive.
3-4 hours of searches, is what will bring you the actual way to isolate fly-back.

Idiots making bad things get censored from the search engines, so I hope you do not pop up on the radar, as one of them...
Everything matters, all the time.

Fly-Back is no joke. Buying the parts, is no joke. Activating an account at an electrical engineering supply company, is no joke.
Your underwear had better be very clean.

That capacitor, required for overloading the electrical system, had better be a quality unit within 4 years of manufacturing, or it will kill your system.

A 1 micro-farad cap is only rated for 2-3 years of use. It is a disposable item and requires excellent ground fault protection.

Installing audio systems into a vehicle is high science. Learn or get screwed by a shop with bad manners.

When you burn up the diode in the cluster, installing a radio with high power amp and cap, you'll create a volatge drain in the cluster which you you cannot repair. It will kill your battery. every day you charge, it will die in three days, untill you replace the damaged cluster.

It's only $350 plus shipping plus a core charge for a repaired cluster from R/A.

I wonder what they put in there?

Last edited:

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Back in the day when I was really into car audio, Pioneer was the only systems I would run. That being said, yellow wire was ALWAYS illumination. You'd hook it up to the headlight switch and the unit would illuminate when the lights were on, and also you could dim the unit with the instrument lighting, so the stereo wasn't obnoxiously bright.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
The problem is with the modern electrical system wiring from GM, anything you tap into the gauge or OEM Stereo wiring, (instead of home run to the battery with fuse); causes feedback through the ground system diodes and burns up the cluster diode.

Bet me.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Interesting reading. I have the same problem with my Retro sound radio. Not every time but say once a week the radio display don't shut down, but there is no sound and you cant turn the radio off by pressing the left hand button. The only way is to pull the fuse. And if you don't, and the truck stands in the garage for say 3-4 days the battery is drain. So its really annoying.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thinking about this for a day, here is what might happen. In my 2006 GMT800, when you turn off the key, the radio stays on until you open the door. Many newer vehicles are that way. If you don't open the door, the radio will turn off after 5 or 10 minutes.

So a newer radio, like a Retro Sound may have that feature. In the aftermarket radio wiring diagram, does the radio have a wire that is supposed to connect to the door dome light?
RAP
Retained Accessory Power

Showed up in the 90s in gm high end cars , filtered down over time to most models :)

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
RAP
Retained Accessory Power

Showed up in the 90s in gm high end cars , filtered down over time to most models :)

Retained accessory power was still a few years away when this truck was built.

Been dealing with the flu, haven’t really had much motivation to dig deeper into this problem. Hopefully the weekend cooperates.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Retained accessory power was still a few years away when this truck was built.

Been dealing with the flu, haven’t really had much motivation to dig deeper into this problem. Hopefully the weekend cooperates.
be greatful they gave you the feature! just wish you knew how lol jk

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Great big steaming piles of horse excrement!!

Took apart and cleaned the bulkhead connector, didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Tidied up some wiring under the dash, didn’t really change anything other than routing to make service easier.

Reassembled everything, and now everything works as expected.

Wonder for how long???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef