Hello all from Bakersfield.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tennessee bound

Reaction score
First Name
christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 73 C20 that i"m getting out of mothballs. I have had the truck since the 90s and going through it pretty extensively. The original T gate is beat to hell and i am replacing it with a newer one, not sure what year but guessing it's an 81-87? The new one has the different latch configuration, and Hinge/Trunnion configuration. I just purchased a "Tailgate Component Kit" from LMC,81-87.It comes with Trunnion's, Hinges, Latch assembly's, Latch Rod set, Tailgate Handle, and Link assembly set. Does anyone Here have any experience on if this will work? I found this chatroom on researching to see if this retrofit is possible. Thanks in advance for any input, Christian...

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Welcome!

Your truck originally had the "wedge plate" style tailgate to coincide with the "wedge hole" style bedsides:
You must be registered for see images attach

I have not tried the conversion myself but I do know the trunnions, links and latches are all different. I believe, just by looking at my '85 vs our '76 shop truck, that it'll work. I think all the bolt holes are the same for all the hardware. You'll just have the unused "wedge holes" in the stake pockets

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi! Tennesse bound! Say, did I buy the bed from a black '73 from you, oh was it two years ago now?

If so, I've been meaning to send you some ratchet straps... I tried but the vendor wouldn't ship to a 3rd party, then... um, I forgot.

Let me know!

Tennessee bound

Reaction score
First Name
christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Welcome!

Your truck originally had the "wedge plate" style tailgate to coincide with the "wedge hole" style bedsides:
You must be registered for see images attach

I have not tried the conversion myself but I do know the trunnions, links and latches are all different. I believe, just by looking at my '85 vs our '76 shop truck, that it'll work. I think all the bolt holes are the same for all the hardware. You'll just have the unused "wedge holes" in the stake pockets
Hey Thank you! I Do believe it WILL work. My 73 is up in Weldon, near Lake Isabella and the tail gate is down here in Bakersfield with me. I went up last week to do some chores and had a look see at it and I believe you're correct! I plan on getting it down here next week to give it some much needed Love. I changed all the new hardware onto the Tgate a few months ago and I'm an old bodyman, I'll make it happen even if I have to coax it. Pictures to come, eventually!

Tennessee bound

Reaction score
First Name
christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hi! Tennesse bound! Say, did I buy the bed from a black '73 from you, oh was it two years ago now?

If so, I've been meaning to send you some ratchet straps... I tried but the vendor wouldn't ship to a 3rd party, then... um, I forgot.

Let me know!
No sir, it was not me. I sold a stripped body to a fella from Santa Barbara a few months ago.

Tennessee bound

Reaction score
First Name
christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Welcome aboard from East Tennessee.
Our property is in the Calhoun area, Mcminn County approx. 40 miles North of Chattanooga. The wife & I are going out for ten days early December. My 73 C20 is going to be my Ranch truck out there, Soon to be taken out there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod