1982 Tailgate Stuck Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waynexx

Reaction score
First Name
Hank
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
This is my first post. My vehicle is a 1982 GMC Suburban 2WD, 6.2L Diesel. I am original owner. 300,000 plus miles on engine.

My electric tailgate glass is stuck down for good this time, in the past it would eventually come back up. Both the tailgate key switch and the dashboard switch do not energize the window motor. The motor worked three days ago going down from the rear switch, but not up now.

I have a service manual for the vehicle. Figure 8C-71-CK series wiring diagram (page 8C-79) indicates a cutout switch as well as two circuit breakers in the electrical circuit for the tailgate window. I do have a cutout switch on the passenger side midway on the side of the tailgate. I checked one circuit breaker and had electrical continuity.

The tailgate trim and access plate have been removed. The window glass being down precludes access to any of the window mechanism or cutout switch.

I need to move the glass up or out to fix this problem. How can this possibly be done short of breaking the rear glass? Is there a solution to this problem? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would say it's the cutoff switch on the passenger side. You should be able to jump that switch, otherwise I don't know of anyway to get that apart without it working. Would be helpful info.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Unscrew the cable from the motor in the tailgate. Get a drill and and put the square tip of the cable in the drill. Becareful not to over tighten the square tip in the chuck of your drill. Slowly pull the trigger on the drill. Pay attention to which way the glass moves. You can manually roll your window up or down this way.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Unscrew the cable from the motor in the tailgate. Get a drill and and put the square tip of the cable in the drill. Becareful not to over tighten the square tip in the chuck of your drill. Slowly pull the trigger on the drill. Pay attention to which way the glass moves. You can manually roll your window up or down this way.
I don't believe suburbans have a cable like the blazer? Ive never owned a blazer, but I'm pretty certain my suburban has no cable.

waynexx

Reaction score
First Name
Hank
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
My suburban does not have a cable. The problem is the glass is blocking access to the mechanisms, wiring and cutoff switch. I need a way to move the glass up or out in order to fix the issue short of breaking the glass. See my first post. I would jump the cutout switch if I could get to the wiring. Any additional thought would be appreciated. I can not be the first one to experience this issue. I am scratching my head on this one; I am stumped!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
My suburban does not have a cable. The problem is the glass is blocking access to the mechanisms, wiring and cutoff switch. I need a way to move the glass up or out in order to fix the issue short of breaking the glass. See my first post. I would jump the cutout switch if I could get to the wiring. Any additional thought would be appreciated. I can not be the first one to experience this issue. I am scratching my head on this one; I am stumped!

can you flip the latch to trick the mechanism in the switch to think it is closed?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
section 10A5 of the service manual (at least for my 1990) covers all things end gate. seems like it is possible to break it down with the window down. I'd check out the 1982 service manual and see what you can find out. in the Reference Library if this forum.

waynexx

Reaction score
First Name
Hank
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
I have the 1982 service manual and do not find any discussion of breaking the tailgate components down with the glass stuck down. There are instructions for tailgate disassembly assuming the glass is movable up and down.

That is a good thought on tricking the latch; but does the latch actuate the cutoff switch? I am not sure how the cutoff switch works.

Still stumped!!!

waynexx

Reaction score
First Name
Hank
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C1500
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Here is my solution to tailgate glass stuck down issue.

I drilled 1 inch access holes into tailgate above the four 7/16 inch bolts holding the glass to the regulator arms. I used a carbide bit with cutting oil. See photo. This procedure has been posted on other GM tailgate threads. I used a 7/16 inch socket to remove the bolts with a magnet attached so the bolts would not fall into the tailgate. (Some folks have been able to remove these four bolts without drilling holes; I did not want to fight that battle)

I removed the outer window seal which was bad using tools shown in order to remove the glass. This was sort of hard to do.

I removed the glass, which provided access to the internal window mechanisms.

I disconnected the wires to the cutout switch (safety switch) located on passenger side inside the tailgate. Then I used a short piece of insulated copper wire (same gauge as the existing blue wire) formed into a U shape and pushed the wire ends into the connector which connected the two blue wires together. I think the blue wire is basically the motor ground wire which the safety switch interrupts when the tailgate is in the down position.

When I tried to use the tailgate window key, the window glass regulator moved up and down. So my issue was a failed safety switch, which is no longer available. I have left the safety switch bypassed.

I lubed the regulator mechanism, reinstalled the window glass and installed a new outer seal purchased from Auto Metal Direct, part number 661-4273-2. See photo. This installation was a bear, really hard to do, especially with the glass installed.

My issue was a simple one. If there had been other failures like the motor or the external window key or bad wiring this procedure at least provides access. IMHO the OEM tailgate should have had access holes from the beginning to work on this type issue.

Thanks for the input from other members!! :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef