Strange stereo problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
So my head unit randomly shuts off then turns its self right back on. It seems to be correlated with the amount of base in the song and the volume of the music. What should I do to fix this. I have a JVC head unit powering 4 JVC 6.5” speakers. It hasn’t always done this. It used to not care and I could turn it all the way up with the bass all the way up if I wanted. It just started one day and is pretty annoying. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Sounds like its going into protection mode. Model number of the head unit and speakers would help a bit.

Are the speakers wired directly to the head unit or did you connect them to the factory wiring? Are any speakers piggy backed or wired to each other instead of to its own channel?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Got any loose power wires, and are you sure your power wires are up to the requirements of the unit?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Check the ground...

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So my head unit randomly shuts off then turns its self right back on. It seems to be correlated with the amount of base in the song and the volume of the music. What should I do to fix this. I have a JVC head unit powering 4 JVC 6.5” speakers. It hasn’t always done this. It used to not care and I could turn it all the way up with the bass all the way up if I wanted. It just started one day and is pretty annoying. Any suggestions?

Change the radio fuse and get a better ground

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Put a capacitor on the amp if you got one. Your overloading the circuit

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I've never had a stereo go into any type of protection mode. I'd be looking at all the wiring and checking the 12v power leads and the ground. My money is on the ground.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Sounds like its going into protection mode. Model number of the head unit and speakers would help a bit.

Are the speakers wired directly to the head unit or did you connect them to the factory wiring? Are any speakers piggy backed or wired to each other instead of to its own channel?
The speakers have their own wires to the head unit that are not the factory ones. Each one is on its own output of the head unit. I have no clue what that speaker or head unit model numbers are.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Got any loose power wires, and are you sure your power wires are up to the requirements of the unit?
All of my power wires are bigger than the ones in the plug.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've never had a stereo go into any type of protection mode. I'd be looking at all the wiring and checking the 12v power leads and the ground. My money is on the ground.
I have lol but when your running a 15” sub and 12s for midrange bass it ain’t hard lol if he has his speaker leads reversed it will act ***** under load as well or if the ohms of the speakers don’t match it will mess with stuff too.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
When I had this same head unit in another truck it would shut off and say check wiring and I figured out the plug on the back was bad so when I put it in this one I got a new plug. Ground and power look good. And there isn’t any loose connections that I’ve found.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
When I had this same head unit in another truck it would shut off and say check wiring and I figured out the plug on the back was bad so when I put it in this one I got a new plug. Ground and power look good. And there isn’t any loose connections that I’ve found.

Did you check the ground all the way to the battery? Sometimes its a ground downstream. Just a thought.

I had some gauges doing funky **** one time, back when I had my '84 K20. I had tapped the fuse block for power and was grounded to the ground block behind the dash. Gauges would do all sorts of weird ****, bounce around, shut off, etc. I ended up running a power line directly to the positive terminal and a ground straight to the negative terminal. Problem solved.

Maybe when the bass is up it starts pulling enough juice that the voltage drops from wherever you are tapped for power?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
All things said, any large subwoofers should be providing bass below 120 hz, unless they are just loudspeakers, so there ends the lesson in whatever you are calling your speakers If you have them running from an amp, and your stereo is turning off when the "bass" hits then you either have something wired wrong that is shorting your stereo or a loose connection in your setup that is affecting power to either your radio or amp, most likely. If you have anything larger than a 6 x 9 running off your head unit that might also be the problem because it may be a subwoofer with a different ohm load that is causing your stereo amp to overheat (or perhaps under perform) and then shut off.

It sounds like you are running 4 speakers off the head unit, and then some RCA lines out to an amp?? I'd check for loose connections on your power and ground first, then the speaker connections, especially if it is installed with butt connectors (or anything worse) and see what that nets you first.

JVC's are not total junk, but they are kinda built as a budget stereo (to that means like a starter radio to be replaced later, lol). As they age the internal amp on the stereo might be crapping out and it's time to look at a new head unit. Cheap doesn't always last forever and cheap electronics do have a tendency to degrade over time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224