strange noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Today I had my monthly doctor's appointment and I was running a little late. I have routes established where there aren't any lights and very little to no traffic to get to my doctor's office. When I'm trying to beat the clock, I hate being late for my appointments, I will "road rally" to get there on time. That means taking turns onto side streets as fast as is safe but I'm not sparing the rubber, let's say. On a turn to get out from behind a truck in front of me that was going just way to slow, compared to me, I whipped onto a side street and I heard a noise I'd not heard before. In analyzing the sound in my head while wheeling down that street I narrowed it down to two things, 1) some kind of tire slipping on something on the street corner back there, or something I've only heard one other time and that is, 2) a motor mount letting the engine lift for a second.

Would a hard turn cause the engine to lift like that? It made a "moaning" noise for a second. When I got to the doctor's I looked underneath the truck at the transmission, drive shaft universal joints, trans. cross member, then opened the hood and looked at the motor mounts, and everything in the engine compartment appeared to be okay.

Any guesses anyone?

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I've had a similar sound when driving just like you said, but it was the power steering pump making the moaning or groaning sound. Even with reservoir full and everything else normal, when pushing into sharp turns (especially if you switch directions quickly and are stepping on it a bit), it's like the power steering pump gulps some air and starts complaining for a short period of time... it usually shuts up again after you make a couple more turns at regular speed and everything goes back to normal. If this is happening and you keep flogging it, about the only other thing that happens is that you briefly lose assist as you're switching directions. That's my only guess, as it's happened to me in both of my trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64