Grinding Noise While Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This could go in the braking or driveline section, but not sure so putting it here.

82 K10 - Grinding or growling noise when stopping but mostly when almost to a complete stop and not while moving faster.

2 of us think it sounds like the front, 1 says the back.

Have recently replaced front rotors and brake pads. Bearings looked good and were timken. Previous owner had 4.10’s put in and not sure if just gears or swapped full axels. I have not pulled or worked on the rear brakes yet.

Replaced rear output shaft seal that was leaking recently and transfer case was somewhat low (topped it off). There is a slight driveline shake at highway speed when on the throttle (one second on one second off repetitive, will get driveshaft balanced). Not driven enough on the highway to tell if it was there before or after I pulled the rear drive shaft for swapping the seal. I’m not positive but think the sound I’m trying to locate was there before pulling the shaft, but not positive.

I put the front on jack stands and does not seem to be any lateral movement 12 and 6 o’clock. When spinning the wheels and applying the brakes all seems smooth. outboard sides of the rotors look perfect. Front locking hubs are working as normal when checked on the jack stands.

Anything else to check, thinking;

Jack up the back on stands and spin the wheels while applying the brakes and listen and feel for roughness.

Use camera or pull the front wheels and see how inboard rotors and pads look.

I don’t think it’s the unjoints, and will pull shaft and get balanced and new u joints but want to narrow down the noise first.

I was under there awhile back and motor mounts don’t seem to be bad, but I will check the fan shroud just for good measure (non factory 454 installed).

It does not sound like when rotors and pads get worn and it isn’t a squeal or high pitched.

Any thoughts or areas to look into?

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have put on miles since doing the front rotors and pads and didn’t have the noise for awhile.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Were rear return springs replaced, weak springs can cause noise.

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I haven’t done the rears yet. I’ll put the rears on jack stand tonight and see if it pin points it to there. It sounds plausible.

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Put the rear up and could tell anything obvious with sound. And drive around and no noise. Will wait for it to pop up again.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Very odd. Is it like a squeek squeek squeek squeek squeek squeek that changes with vehicle speed? I know you said grinding noise tho. Did you take drums off to see what it looked like?

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It’s a lower groan or grind, and usually just at the end of a stop, like at a stop sign.

Almost like when there is more weight transfer.

It doesn’t go or change with speed or acceleration.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've had rear brakes sound like that. Just grind squeeky gravely. And one time I had a brake spring pop off and make noise.

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Oddly enough, it’s mostly gone away.

I had someone ride in the bed to see if the sound was coming from the front or rear.

With the 4:10 gears and our driveway, I don’t ever think I brake much in reverse. It’s possible it self adjusted. I’ll see if it resurfaces or when I get a chance I’ll pull the back drums, but for now seems good.

85 Squarebody76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
Sounds like the carrier bearing rubber cushion in the drive shaft squeaking

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Don't go anywhere you have to stop or use the brakes.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The carrier bearing would only be on a 2 piece driveshaft right?

The truck has a 1 piece.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag