Ticking/slapping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sound like it could be a exh leak too.
Ya there is definitely an exhaust leak. I replaced a section of the exhaust because it was rusted out so there is a little bit of a ticking noise from taht but that’s a hole different tick. I’m not to sure how to fix that, I have tightened the crap out of it so I just deal with it

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Ya there is definitely an exhaust leak. I replaced a section of the exhaust because it was rusted out so there is a little bit of a ticking noise from taht but that’s a hole different tick. I’m not to sure how to fix that, I have tightened the crap out of it so I just deal with it
How do You know EXH leak hasn't gotten worse or change sounds?

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How do You know EXH leak hasn't gotten worse or change sounds?
Because I can hear two different ticking noises. Also when driving down the road you can hear the exhaust pipe ticking away

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Because I can hear two different ticking noises. Also when driving down the road you can hear the exhaust pipe ticking away
I would fix the EXH ticking n go from there. Before Ya know it Yoll all have 3 slapping ya and ticking ya off.

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I heard an exhaust leak too?
What are you guys hearing that is the exhaust leak? I don’t really know what the exhaust leak sounds like. I just see black marks on my exhaust where it’s leaking

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
What are you guys hearing that is the exhaust leak?
The prominent "ticking" in your video sounds like an exhaust leak to most/all of us who've watched your video. Anyone who's owned a street car with headers has heard that sound before.

If you've replaced a "section of exhaust", where was that section? I'm guessing it was after the y-pipe (the pipe that bolts to your exhaust manifolds). Even if that part of the repaired exhaust has some visible carbon at a leaking spot, that's not the noise in your video. It will also sound different because it's farther downstream in the exhaust system.

Your noise is probably an exhaust leak up near the block. Could be any of the following: burnt out donut gasket between the manifold and the y-pipe (can be caused by broken hardware at the donut gasket), cracked exhaust manifold, leaking/broken AIR injection line (not applicable on your '77), or maybe even a leak between the manifold and the block but I think that's much less likely.

Give that manifold and y-pipe connection a really good visual check. Starting the truck cold and watching for hot exhaust escaping can sometimes be helpful too. Good luck!

kenneth1669

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kenneth
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The prominent "ticking" in your video sounds like an exhaust leak to most/all of us who've watched your video. Anyone who's owned a street car with headers has heard that sound before.

If you've replaced a "section of exhaust", where was that section? I'm guessing it was after the y-pipe (the pipe that bolts to your exhaust manifolds). Even if that part of the repaired exhaust has some visible carbon at a leaking spot, that's not the noise in your video. It will also sound different because it's farther downstream in the exhaust system.

Your noise is probably an exhaust leak up near the block. Could be any of the following: burnt out donut gasket between the manifold and the y-pipe (can be caused by broken hardware at the donut gasket), cracked exhaust manifold, leaking/broken AIR injection line (not applicable on your '77), or maybe even a leak between the manifold and the block but I think that's much less likely.

Give that manifold and y-pipe connection a really good visual check. Starting the truck cold and watching for hot exhaust escaping can sometimes be helpful too. Good luck!
Oh ok sweet. I’ll do that. Thanks for all the help from everyone

Steelers82

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
Definitely sound like exhaust leak. Mine would get louder as I put my foot in the accelerator. Just ordered stage 8 locking bolts and replaced this weekend. Ticking is gone. Mine is a ls 5.3 tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe