Strange stereo problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
All things said, any large subwoofers should be providing bass below 120 hz, unless they are just loudspeakers, so there ends the lesson in whatever you are calling your speakers If you have them running from an amp, and your stereo is turning off when the "bass" hits then you either have something wired wrong that is shorting your stereo or a loose connection in your setup that is affecting power to either your radio or amp, most likely. If you have anything larger than a 6 x 9 running off your head unit that might also be the problem because it may be a subwoofer with a different ohm load that is causing your stereo amp to overheat (or perhaps under perform) and then shut off.

It sounds like you are running 4 speakers off the head unit, and then some RCA lines out to an amp?? I'd check for loose connections on your power and ground first, then the speaker connections, especially if it is installed with butt connectors (or anything worse) and see what that nets you first.

JVC's are not total junk, but they are kinda built as a budget stereo (to that means like a starter radio to be replaced later, lol). As they age the internal amp on the stereo might be crapping out and it's time to look at a new head unit. Cheap doesn't always last forever and cheap electronics do have a tendency to degrade over time.
Correct I am running 4 speakers off the head unit but no amp or sub. This head unit is probably over 5 years old so it could be going bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clovis_ca

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
If your power leads, fusing and ground are verified good, I would look at either an impedance mismatch or stereo is starting to fail. Since you are running 4 speakers into the stereo you may be inadvertently over loading it. Four - 4 ohm speakers into a stereo will drop the impedance to 2 ohms at the stereo amplifier section. This will cause too much heat in the stereo and cause it to possibly shut down to prevent damage and then turn back on when cooled down. To check this, disconnect 1 pair of your speakers for awhile and run the system. If your troubles go away, I would look at that as the cause. You could change 1 pair to 8 ohm then and your loading would go up to 3.2 ohms and most stereos will run with that. Be aware some manufacturers now build their speakers with 3 or 2 ohm ratings. If your speakers are 3 ohm, your four speakers will look like a 1.5 ohm load and the stereo WILL shut down. Four - 2 ohm speakers will look like a 1 ohm load...BAD for stock stereos. I doubt you are there since it ran in the past. If it still happens after running just 1 pair, start looking for for a new stereo....it's on the way to failure.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
If your power leads, fusing and ground are verified good, I would look at either an impedance mismatch or stereo is starting to fail. Since you are running 4 speakers into the stereo you may be inadvertently over loading it. Four - 4 ohm speakers into a stereo will drop the impedance to 2 ohms at the stereo amplifier section. This will cause too much heat in the stereo and cause it to possibly shut down to prevent damage and then turn back on when cooled down. To check this, disconnect 1 pair of your speakers for awhile and run the system. If your troubles go away, I would look at that as the cause. You could change 1 pair to 8 ohm then and your loading would go up to 3.2 ohms and most stereos will run with that. Be aware some manufacturers now build their speakers with 3 or 2 ohm ratings. If your speakers are 3 ohm, your four speakers will look like a 1.5 ohm load and the stereo WILL shut down. Four - 2 ohm speakers will look like a 1 ohm load...BAD for stock stereos. I doubt you are there since it ran in the past. If it still happens after running just 1 pair, start looking for for a new stereo....it's on the way to failure.

Ok so I figured out this is the specs on my speakers.
You must be registered for see images

And these are the specs on my head unit

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Other members make all good points for you to check. But from what I gather, and from other issues I've seen, the output transistors (or chips) may not be cooling as designed due to the heat sink grease being so aged. If the outputs cannot cool properly then they are going into thermal overload and shutting down until they cool off again. May I suggest that you check your head unit. If the outputs are in fact heat sinked and you can remove the screw that holds it (them) to the heat sink and you find that the factory installed grease is dry or flaky then that may be your problem. If that is the case, clean off the old grease using alcohol and a Q-Tip and use some high quality heat sink grease to replace it. Hope this helps.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
stuff a bigger cam in the engine, ditch the stereo and enjoy the sweet, sweet harmony of a V8!

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
In all seriousness though, back in my day when I had big stereos and such if I overloaded them they would shut themselves down in a protection mode. I remember I had a brand new Rockford Fosgate amp and I had the sub leads bridged to up the amp and it would be fine allllll day at volume level 27 on the head unit, but if I went to 28... Shut down city! lol Had to power it off and back on for the amp to reset itself, could be the same theory..

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Ok so I figured out this is the specs on my speakers.

And these are the specs on my head unit

Your speakers each have their own channel from the head unit, so the stereo sees 4 ohms on each one. The only way the impedance would change is if the speakers were wired in parallel or series, which unless you wired more than one per channel, they are not. Disconnecting a pair of speakers will change nothing.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Your speakers each have their own channel from the head unit, so the stereo sees 4 ohms on each one. The only way the impedance would change is if the speakers were wired in parallel or series, which unless you wired more than one per channel, they are not. Disconnecting a pair of speakers will change nothing.
They are each wired to their own channel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg