Sourcing a posi unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And you know what? I totalled a car, because I ran a spool on the street. You give it any gas, on a slick surface; and you will be facing the wrong way before you know it. The OP specifically requested info on a posi unit, not an unsafe hack job. Do a Google search on it. Welded spider gears on the street are just that- unsafe...
And now I see this post. My point exactly. Yep this is what I meant about it not being safe. It's even worse on ice or snow. Just turning a corner on a slick corner, it'll spin your ass 180 or even further, hitting the brakes on ice or snow make it even worse.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's where experience and age does make a difference. Everything being said about welding up your gears by others is 100% true. It is also dangerous on the street. Do people do it? Yep, they do but it's not advice I'd give to someone looking for a street posi or locker. It also breaks parts like axles. Your situation might have been different. Maybe it was a lighter car with smaller tires. I don't suggest it in a truck. Cops give tickets too for barking tires thinking it's a burnout, so they cite you for exhibition of speed. If you want to make your suggestion to where it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, You can say, what worked for me when I was broke and didn't have alot of cash I did..... And the others can chime in and be against the suggestion as I would have been against it too. Welding spiders is for dirt trackers or off roaders. It's a cheap locker or spool but it's not good for the street for several reasons. You get that **** on some snow or ice, you could end up dead over it.

Just sayin', be willing to learn and be willing to be stand corrected without a chip on your shoulder. I'm not going to toot my horn here, but I'll say I know a ton of **** about these trucks, and it wasn't that long ago, I was corrected. Funny part was, about 20 others were right along with me, and this 1 guy pops up says and NO that's wrong. So I checked it out, and that 1 guy was right.
yeah i supposed i should of checked what the use of the locker was and what others have to say about it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah i supposed i should of checked what the use of the locker was and what others have to say about it.
There you go. Much better attitude and way to see it. It takes a bigger man to own his **** than it does to get that chip on the shoulder. Besides, them chips cause drama in your life. It's all good Dawg !!!

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There you go. Much better attitude and way to see it. It takes a bigger man to own his **** than it does to get that chip on the shoulder. Besides, them chips cause drama in your life. It's all good Dawg !!!
I just remember the good old times with my dad when we bought a mud truck and built it up and he let me weld the gears and the damn thing never broke I only sold it when he died because he was my employer and i need money till i could find a new job. I will see if i can find a pic it was a brown square k30 with a 454 and 14 bolt rear. single cab long bed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just remember the good old times with my dad when we bought a mud truck and built it up and he let me weld the gears and the damn thing never broke I only sold it when he died because he was my employer and i need money till i could find a new job. I will see if i can find a pic it was a brown square k30 with a 454 and 14 bolt rear. single cab long bed.
That's a perfect candidate for welding spiders. Sucks to have gotten rid of that one. Not only a K30, but a truck you and your dad built together.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's a perfect candidate for welding spiders. Sucks to have gotten rid of that one. Not only a K30, but a truck you and your dad built together.
my mom hated it sitting in the driveway also all i would hear is bitching about it so i sold it hell the extra money help with the funeral anyways

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
you know what all i know is that when i welded a differential it acts just like my friends truck with a locker. So if you are gonna keep nitpicking **** it. I was just trying to put the cheapest way to lock a diff that has seemed to work well for me.

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone!!
Does is it ever. And then it lingers even worse when you break that carrier or gear and need to pull it apart. You pay dearly for the so called Lincoln Locker trying to get that crossbar and the spiders out of the carrier.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
You need to use common sense with posi.
I use my 73 El Camino as a yard mule..To move my projects around the yard.
Would be impossible without posi.
I'd just dig a nice hole in the grass.
You can feel the extra bite the posi gives you.
Who drives in the rain or snow?
If you get caught in a thunderstorm..slow down..especially around corners.
Common sense.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I like the true Trac install.
No removing the current carrier.
About $500 for the unit.
Looks like an easy install.
My next project!

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Yes, it'll be a 14 bolt full floater with 10.25 inch ring gear. That's a 2pc carrier so whatever you get will require splitting the carrier and resetting up the Ring and Pinion lash. You can go with a Spartan Locker, Richmond Powertraxx Lock Right, Detroit Locker or I think Grizzly makes a locker too. If you get limited slip, then it'll require complete carrier replacement.

Isn't a FF 14 bolt a 10.5" ring gear?

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I like the true Trac install.
No removing the current carrier.
About $500 for the unit.
Looks like an easy install.
My next project!

Unless I'm misunderstanding the product you would still have to remove the carrier. Pretty sure the truetrac replaces your old carrier and the ring gear bolts directly to it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Its funny this disscussion popped up bc ive found my g80 gov bomb is exploded and im also looking for a good behaving posi to put in mine. Ill be looking in to a true trac also. Or i may just buy a 10 bolt from @Honky Kong jr and do a quick swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500