Sourcing a posi unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
It does in that regard but it doesn't unlock in the sense of "freewheeling"

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
It does in that regard but it doesn't unlock in the sense of "freewheeling"

The only posis I know that are the ones that are always broken like the gov bomb and the posis from the 80s. THe eaton we put in my friends car, the Auburn in the 97 Z28 I had and whatever is inthe Vette all acted like a locker but without the clink, bang sounds but there was no freewheel. Isnt the ARB and Eloc the only ones that freewheel?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
So turning wise the Detroit will work as well as a limited slip other than it clunks?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Um doesnt the Detroit locker unlock around corners and why its a called a locker and not a spool? That explains all the clinking and banging you hear instead of the tires squealing around a turn.
It MIGHT unlock as it supposed to. There will be the times it's a bit late to unlock and you can still have the wheel hop. There is never no freewheeling if that's what you're referring to as being a peg legger or one wheel drive. It's my understanding, Lockers STAY LOCKED until they feel the need to unlock like turning a corner when one wheel is trying to turn faster than the other.

Then posi, aka limited slip is supposed to be a 1 legged diff until it detects a little slip then it grabs the other axle to also drive the other wheel also.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So turning wise the Detroit will work as well as a limited slip other than it clunks?
The detroit locker actually works better. Traction to both tires is guarenteed since it's locked up. But for it to unlock going around a corner is NOT guarenteed and you might bark tires.

On a limited slip, Traction to both tires is NOT gaurenteed. If it's working properly it will grab the other wheel.

It's JMO, a great off-road truck will have a locker in the rear, and a limited slip in the front. You don't want both wheel locked up in your font axle until it's needed like maybe in mud or sand. Even hard dirt trails are a bitch to steer and you can't make tight turns with both wheels locked up in front.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
That was my original plan

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Nobody mentions the absolute best locker the ARB air locker. THE strongest, THE best, THE most expensive...
oh and you will need a compressor... but every true off roader has one of those anyway. I like to run a tank so the compressor
doesn't need to keep running while you're locked up.
Mind you, the compressor is a good reminder you are in fact locked up.

My complete inability to turn with them on is a great reminder as well lol.

Depends on how tight the turn is. If the input torque is high enough, ie, you're pushing the gas enough, it will stay locked. If you're coating, it will unlock. I usually have the most weirdness on a long sweeping turn, like on a two lane highway. I just adapter to turning actual corners and coast through them.

BTW, I would argue a full spool is the strongest, there's nothing to break, it's a solid piece of machined steel.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Then posi, aka limited slip is supposed to be a 1 legged diff until it detects a little slip then it grabs the other axle to also drive the other wheel also.

Thats the way it used to work back in the day, my Z28 with a factory posi both tires spun at the same time. Rear end in the air tranny in neutral rotate ps tire in forward direction ds followed the same direction. Rear still in the air turn driveshaft both tires rotate same direction

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Even hard dirt trails are a bitch to steer and you can't make tight turns with both wheels locked up in front.

I always just unlock a hub, but the lack of selectable hubs on my FJ is the reason for the ARB's on it.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
BTW, I would argue a full spool is the strongest, there's nothing to break, it's a solid piece of machined steel.

Agreed but didnt mention it because its not a locker or LS.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Agreed but didnt mention it because its not a locker or LS.

Agreed, and 17 other thing's will break before you break a full cased locker in a 14b anyway lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I always just unlock a hub, but the lack of selectable hubs on my FJ is the reason for the ARB's on it.
Yep, that's one good option if you have a locker up front. What makes that another advantage, is if you do have a locker up front, you can jump out and just have to lock in the driver side hub and back in the truck without running around to the passenger side. Then you still have passenger side hub to lock in the event you get into a situation and need it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Agreed, and 17 other thing's will break before you break a full cased locker in a 14b anyway lol.

This is why I like the Detroit Locker or any locker for that matter, Even a Lock Right or Spartan for the 14b Full Float and why I don't want anything but an open diff 14b FF. If you get a 14b FF with a G80, then you have to change to an open carrier to install a locker, or buy a full carrier LSD. 14B FF and open diff make adding a locker fairly cheap and they're practically bullet proof. Even if you're barking biggo tires, the odds of you snapping one of those biggo axles is still and even if you do, they're dime a dozen and a 5 minute job to change if you can get the broke piece out with a strong magnet on a pole.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I remember the day I bought my 64 GMC with a Dana 60 rear axle. The kid I bought it from says, oh it's a posi rear end, and I thought yeah right, every kid thinks they have a posi. A few days later, I was putting brakes on the rear and floor jacked it in the center to put it up and jack stands. I had a woody for a week when I noticed I spun a wheel they both spun the same direction. The kid wasn't lying.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics