Sourcing a posi unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Isn't a FF 14 bolt a 10.5" ring gear?
Yes, and I know that. Thanks for the corrections. Mighta been the meds that day. :lol:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You need to use common sense with posi.
I use my 73 El Camino as a yard mule..To move my projects around the yard.
Would be impossible without posi.
I'd just dig a nice hole in the grass.
You can feel the extra bite the posi gives you.
Who drives in the rain or snow?
If you get caught in a thunderstorm..slow down..especially around corners.
Common sense.

Huh??? Common sense??? They're not any fun if you practice common sense. I loved being every which way but straight !!! Lockers are even more fun yet. :waytogo:

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Huh??? Common sense??? They're not any fun if you practice common sense. I loved being every which way but straight !!! Lockers are even more fun yet. :waytogo:
After a night of drinking wild turkey 101,I found myself taking out a mailbox,and driving through a corn field...thank God for posi!!!!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Nobody mentions the absolute best locker the ARB air locker. THE strongest, THE best, THE most expensive...
oh and you will need a compressor... but every true off roader has one of those anyway. I like to run a tank so the compressor
doesn't need to keep running while you're locked up.
Mind you, the compressor is a good reminder you are in fact locked up.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nobody mentions the absolute best locker the ARB air locker. THE strongest, THE best, THE most expensive...
oh and you will need a compressor... but every true off roader has one of those anyway. I like to run a tank so the compressor
Unnn huhhh !!! See what's going in my K10/20 with 4.10's. Just add air !!!
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I am going to be running a Detroit Locker in the rear, and then the air locker up front. This way I don't have to worry about torque steer and when I need locked up in the front, I'll hit the air switch and lock it up. Also plan on having a 3 gallon air tank on board full of air with a regulator to run air tools and air up and air down tires. it don't take much air to bust 8 lug nuts with an impact, by the time I get the wheel off and the spare on, the air will have been built back up to tighten 8 lugs. Also going to have air horns. That's the plans anyway. I have the air tank from a cheap compessor that went bad.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

You will be so impressed with this system. After a while you will realize money well spent. But you'll be spoiled too.
Every other truck will seem lame.

So you're running a 205 no doubt? With twin sticks...
I mean why wouldn't you at this point?
FWD anyone? That F doesn't mean Four btw..

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I am going to be running a Detroit Locker in the rear, and then the air locker up front. This way I don't have to worry about torque steer and when I need locked up in the front, I'll hit the air switch and lock it up. Also plan on having a 3 gallon air tank on board full of air with a regulator to run air tools and air up and air down tires. it don't take much air to bust 8 lug nuts with an impact, by the time I get the wheel off and the spare on, the air will have been built back up to tighten 8 lugs. Also going to have air horns. That's the plans anyway. I have the air tank from a cheap compressor that went bad.

So really? A 3 gallon tank is enough for air and tires? I've been wondering about this very subject regarding my build. Glad you
mentioned it.
And how much air pump do we need?

When I bought my lockers a few years ago ARB offered a free high output pump, the ckma 12. SO I'm sitting here looking at
and it says at 29 PSI it does 2.34 cf per minute. I think that would be too slow for tires, at least bigger ones. Maybe I should just
another pump and have both on board. I do like a certain sense of redundancy to sleep good when out and about with the sasquatch.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Have you ever drove with front end locked up? (not a trick question)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
It's a freaking party...

Something you wouldn't leave in the hands of mere mortals unless you like carnage and drama.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you ever drove with front end locked up? (not a trick question)
Yes, it's not the greatest, and it's a real bitch to make a turn if you're on any kind of hard surface where the front wheels have some traction. That's why I want the air locker. If I don't need it locked it, I don't want it locked up. It'll only be locked up as needed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So really? A 3 gallon tank is enough for air and tires? I've been wondering about this very subject regarding my build. Glad you
mentioned it.
And how much air pump do we need?

When I bought my lockers a few years ago ARB offered a free high output pump, the ckma 12. SO I'm sitting here looking at
and it says at 29 PSI it does 2.34 cf per minute. I think that would be too slow for tires, at least bigger ones. Maybe I should just
another pump and have both on board. I do like a certain sense of redundancy to sleep good when out and about with the sasquatch.
Good questions here. It's my understanding, it doesn't need to be making constant air to operate the locker. If it's not leaking the air out while locked up, then you just need the air to hold it there. So if I have 100psi in an air tank and hit the switch and the ARB is in good shape then the air shouldn't leak out to damn fast and it hold good and the compressor only come on periodically. For tires, if you have 3 gallons of air at 100psi to get you a head start, then the compressor comes back on at 80lbs, I'm hoping with the 3 gallons of air in reserve at 80lbs is enough that the compressor can keep up at least until I get to 50lbs in the tire.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

I don't question it's greatness, but it isn't 100 % the strongest. It's just the strongest you can get with a unlock feature. The strongest hands down is a full Detroit Locker, but the downside is it doesn't unlock of course.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I don't question it's greatness, but it isn't 100 % the strongest. It's just the strongest you can get with a unlock feature. The strongest hands down is a full Detroit Locker, but the downside is it doesn't unlock of course.

Um doesnt the Detroit locker unlock around corners and why its a called a locker and not a spool? That explains all the clinking and banging you hear instead of the tires squealing around a turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat