Searching for a modern sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Should I buy 2 of the powered subs?
More subs = more bass you make the call on that. I will say if you run heavy enough wire for two it makes it a simple future upgrade if 1 is not enough.
Are the kick panel speakers in the way? They stick out and I've heard people saying some interfere w/ parking brake
I cut into my kick panels for a set years ago, the speakers were a little too deep to fit so I spaced them out 1". I had to shim my parking brake assembly out from the kick panel to accommodate them. Not sure about whatever ones you are looking at.

The lower front corner of the door will accommodate fairly large/deep speakers with no interference to other equipment.
Any experience with the little 1" tweeters that are built into the pillar covers?
No experience with them but at the price point of the pillars that come with tweeters built in I'd gamble that they are rather low quality. That money would be better invested in upgrading to better speakers or better amp for the four primary channels.

High end speakers and amps often times play louder, cleaner, and within their designed frequency range as opposed to systems with more speakers if they are under powered, over rated (by spec), or improperly tuned.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Get a 5 channel Amp to power amp then that leaves 4 channels left for the other speakers. If you want to tie in dash dual speaker into kick panel speakers that can be done as well. We have dual dash speaker but left option for additional door mounted speakers if this was not enough sound. I can hear this knucklehead pulling in the neighborhood, I don’t think additional speakers are needed……

Randy and E

A center channel can be a valuable addition to a well tuned system, however IMHO with the equipment you are planning on will not improve your listening experience. Stick with the four other channels and sub, maybe use the money saved on the dash speakers to upgrade one of the other sets.

Randy- the retrosound subs are powered small subs that fit under the seat and plug and play with the head unit so I don't think I will be using the the 5th channel???

Thanks Calsgt! I plan to buy all high quality speakers, don't know brand yet. I just want to do it right one time, the first time. I'll spend whatever it takes to get a quality system, not the loudest or most expensive, but good decent sound for years to come. I'm not an audiophile but want nice sound. I did lizard skin in the interior and raptor under the cab to cut down the road noise, vibrations, heat so I can focus on sound quality.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks Calsgt! I plan to buy all high quality speakers, don't know brand yet. I just want to do it right one time, the first time. I'll spend whatever it takes to get a quality system, not the loudest or most expensive, but good decent sound for years to come. I'm not an audiophile but want nice sound. I did lizard skin in the interior and raptor under the cab to cut down the road noise, vibrations, heat so I can focus on sound quality.
Good luck Sir... Sounds like you're on the right path. Have you considered a small subwoofer box behind the seat as opposed to the powered retrosound boxes? Nothing against the powered setup but it does open your options up significantly.

Don't use me as a good example for what it takes to get great sound, it can be done for far less. So far I've spent about $5K on the set up for my square all quality stuff from reputable brands but none of it is "top of the line" except maybe the subwoofer. I could have easily spent several thousand more on audiophile level stuff. Of my $20K build budget half of it has gone inside the cab towards creature comforts and tech. I'm a stereo geek & this build is getting blamed on mid life crisis (along with my last few projects).

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Did you put the carpet on the speaker adapters? All the ones in my Google search are just a plate.
Also, does the sub amp offer power for the other speakers?
1- no got a rest over carpet from back side cab isolation
2-hummm not shure got to search for sound orderner sub ;)

Attachments

• _DSC5326.jpg
    _DSC5326.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 42

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD