Rust Attack Part II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zaar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zaar
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20/30
Engine Size
square dom and a good welder. i think i may have some square stock hanging around.
regardless ill be going through the same crap for the bed on my truck the body mounts on the bed are going thru the mounting points on the rail plus my floorboards are shot beyond belief. and the cab mounts are gone so my square is rocking around corners and lets try not to articulate the body in any way cause there is one hellacious creek and grind.

looks like ill be adding to your thread 89.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I got some steel channel at work I can rig up some brackets for it. I might even see if there is a channel here I can run across right over the old one. Just that there is a heat shield welded over the channel for the tail pipe I don't feel like dealing with. I will figure something out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
got this fixed yet? :popcorn:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:eek:

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Thoughts burbs had a little beefier supports... Cancer took out the whole rear half of my bed, too bad cause the whole front half is perfect.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
Seeing that makes me glad that we do not have any vehicle inspection law in my state. AND the fact that we have so little snow that salt is NEVER put on the road. That truck would be a perfect candidate for frame-off restoration.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Seeing that makes me glad that we do not have any vehicle inspection law in my state. AND the fact that we have so little snow that salt is NEVER put on the road. That truck would be a perfect candidate for frame-off restoration.

If he had a new body for it. I think he's got more of a FrankenTruck than you do. He keeps a box of self tappers under the driver seat so as he sees stuff falling off in the mirror, he can pull over and add another screw. :sad72: :console:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If he had a new body for it. I think he's got more of a FrankenTruck than you do. He keeps a box of self tappers under the driver seat so as he sees stuff falling off in the mirror, he can pull over and add another screw. :sad72: :console:

So true...

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One of these days, you'll get you a 95% rust free body Burb, and clean it underneath and coat the hell out of it with POR15 or other protectant and it will be able to live forever in PA.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One thing I always did on my trucks, even though we don't use much salt here, 1 because we rarely have weather that requires it, maybe once a year sometimes twice, but even then, they use alot more sand with a little salt added, but in bad weather like that, if I drove my new trucks, and I always did, the first day of dry roads I put my rain bird water sprinkler under my truck in the front 1/3 and let it rip full blast for about 10 minutes, then the back 1/3 for about 10 minutes. Then took it to the brushless car wash, then home for a 2 bucket with bucket grid wash.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size

We used to have vehicle inspection laws here but they were repealed back in 1994. I was glad because those lecherous vultures that did the inspections went from simply rubber-stamping the certificates to being the most anal-retentive picky pains in the BUTT. This happened the last 3 years before that law was repealed. They would purposefully find ANYTHING to make you pay them to fix before they would give you a sticker certificate (our inspection stations were also mechanic shops). But there was NO law about the body having to be rust-free. One of my ex-girlfriends was from WV and she introduced me to that concept because that rust-free requirement existed there too. What is the prupose of this rust-free requirement? I fail to see how a few rust holes could damage a vehicle so as to make it unsafe. It is not as if parts are falling off all over the highway or anything. I would shape a temporary piece of metal and self tap screw it underneath so as to hide it for the inspection. I would be willing to bet that the screws are not allowed to be visible, right? Best of luck with this.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
They haven't said anything about screws, I don't think they can either. Technically it's a fastener and part of the structure. They don't want to see rusted body mounts for structure integrity and rust holes in the body for carbon monoxide I guess. Keep in mind this inspection shop in particular is in my pocket because of all the work I throw at them from my job. If I had to get it inspected at another place I don't think It would still be on the road.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm sure some inspectors could be real pricks, but if the purpose for the inspection of rust is met, as in, the truck isn't going to fall to pieces going down the road, then I'm sure they can overlook somethings. Falling thru the floorboard I guess could be a hazard too, but it's covered up then so be it. The hazard is remedied.

Some guys like to be pricks, just because they have little dicks and get laid in a morgue, so it makes them feel powerful to be pricks. Kinda like some cops. Rather then be reasonable, they play powertrip cuz they can.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
They haven't said anything about screws, I don't think they can either. Technically it's a fastener and part of the structure. They don't want to see rusted body mounts for structure integrity and rust holes in the body for carbon monoxide I guess. Keep in mind this inspection shop in particular is in my pocket because of all the work I throw at them from my job. If I had to get it inspected at another place I don't think It would still be on the road.

Before this law repeal during those 3 HELL years I had the WORST luck with my motorcycle being inspected. Since you mentioned fasteners I will share this story. My cycle was pre-owned and had been dropped on BOTH sides effectively snapping the rear turn signals mounts loose right in their center. NOTHING except well-tightened hose clamps would properly hold them upright, and these clamps worked GREAT. In fact they made them even stronger than before they were broken. But these picky fussy little Napoleons that worked in the shop would create "laws" to try to screw me out of money. They would say that the clamps counted as defective and that the clamps had to be removed to pass inspection. Removing them only made them broken again and would STILL fail the inspection. Eventually I replaced the mounts, but by then the inspection law had gone the way of the dodo bird. Another time they tried to say that my brake lights were non-functional which was NOT true. One of my brake switches was bad, but the lights came on when I applied the brake because I always applied BOTH at the same time. They were just being overly difficult. Glad to hear that you know the inspector! Good luck and let us know how this goes. I know how it feels to dread vehicle inspection even though I have not felt it in years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes