Radiator question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The flushing solution goes in through the bottom nipple (5/8"). Just push your normal smaller heater hose on to the nipple. Secure the open end of that hose to something. It doesn't matter what - firewall, under a wiper blade, taped to the windshield, etc. - as long as it's above the level of the upper (outlet) nipple.

Put a funnel in the open end of the hose and add the flushing stuff into the core by gravity. It will fill the core from the bottom up and purge out any air pockets as it fills the coils.

When there is a steady (air free) flow of flush stuff coming out of the top nipple, stop and walk away - you are packed and purged.

Next day, pull the hose off and let the flushing solution drain out the bottom.

Attach a garden hose to the top nipple - duct tape is good enough - and blast fresh water backwards through the coil (i.e. from the top down) for awhile.

When it looks clear, switch the garden hose to the bottom nipple and flush in normal direction.

When it runs clear, switch to top again.

Continue until satisfied that the watersides of the coils are clear.

This winter you'll have the warmest truck in Oregon!

Last edited:

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
here's a little contraption I'm going to be putting on the truck, this is a coolant filter that goes in the inlet line going to the heater core, I got the idea from the Mustang forums, it keeps all the junk particles that are floating throughout the cooling system from getting into the heater core and plugging it up.

the pictures below are of the filter I've been using in my subaru for the last 40,000 miles, I haven't cleaned it in about 25,000 miles and noticed the other night coming home from work that my heater was blowing cold air, a good indication that filter plugged up, so I pulled it out today, took a few pictures, and figured I'd show them off ...I got a pretty good pile of junk out of it (next to the penny in the picture)

that orange-ie looking stuff is actually part of the gasket seal, I trimmed it up with an exacto knife to get it better flow, the black stuff is what was plugging up the filter. it even had what looked like a couple of pine needles in it not sure how those got into the cooling system though.

Attachments

• 100_3115.jpg
    100_3115.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_3117.jpg
    100_3117.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_3116.jpg
    100_3116.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 12739.jpg
    12739.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 165

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Looks like the screens they use on washing machine fill hoses.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Looks like the screens they use on washing machine fill hoses.

Yah that exactly what it looks like that a home made setup? You got a male end on the other side of it? That seems like a pretty cool home made filter.

Anybody here ever use one of those larger coolant system filters ?

Posted From Hell

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yah that exactly what it looks like that a home made setup? You got a male end on the other side of it? That seems like a pretty cool home made filter.

Anybody here ever use one of those larger coolant system filters ?

Posted From Hell

yup, that's all it is, garden hose ends, and the filter is what you use for a washing machine supply line.

as far as the bigger filters, I use those to, I just haven't posted pictures of them yet ...there's two main manufacturers, Gano out of California, and Tefba out of Australia, I use both, the subaru has a gano filter in it, the one I have for the truck is a Tefba.

I prefer Tefba although I think they are a little high priced. (about $75 each) I got a special deal when I got mine, $30 each, I got one, and my brother took the other one to use on his Datsun 240Z with a chevy 350 conversion, that car can use all the cooling help it can get!

both filters are inline, but the tefba has a lid on it that makes cleaning it a very simple process.

the gaino I use in the Subaru I think might be a more efficient filter, but you have to pull the radiator hose apart every time you want to clean it.

the tefba has a bypass if it plugs up, the gaino doesn't, so you have to really watch them, if the normal operating temperature starts to rise, then the filter is starting to plug up, so I have to keep an eye on mine, but never have had an issue, and my subaru runs cooler than most, even when pulling a trailer, so I'm happy with the filters.

the first time I ran a tefba filter was in a jeep with a 318, it had about 90,000 miles on it when I first installed the filter, and that was right after I replaced the radiator in it and I had to clean the filter something like 3 times in a period of an hour and a half before I could even drive the jeep because of the debris in the system that was caught by the filter, and I went through the exact same thing with the subaru, but had to clean that one twice in an hour before I could drive that car.

I've had the filters in the subaru for the last 40 thousand miles and have not had any issues at all, and I do a lot of hard driving with that car.

it's my daily drive to work car (100 miles day round trip) and my weekend getaway car which can see an easy 500 miles a weekend when I'm out of town.

if you're not real vigilant about keeping an eye on those filters, you would be better of using a heater core filter only, if that plugs up, (which it will, and often at first) you only lose your heat, if the big inline filter (the Tefba or Gano) plug up and you ain't payin attention, it could cost you an engine.

when I first install the bigger filters, I watch it like a hawk for the first couple of hours before I even back out of the driveway, you will be cleaning it out no less than twice in a two hour period - guaranteed.

you would be amazed at how much debris and junk is circulating through the cooling system of your car or truck.

Attachments

• IMG_2673.jpg
    IMG_2673.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 137
  • Tefba-installation-filters.jpg
    Tefba-installation-filters.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Holy Hell !!! I never knew such a thing existed. I want those on my trucks.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
it's kind of interesting when you stop and think about it, you have filters for your fuel, you have filters for your oil, you even have a filter for the air sucked in through the intake, but no one ever thinks of a filter for the cooling system ....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
it's kind of interesting when you stop and think about it, you have filters for your fuel, you have filters for your oil, you even have a filter for the air sucked in through the intake, but no one ever thinks of a filter for the cooling system ....

Cuz it's not critical, and it's actually a sealed system. But, I'd still like to trap rust chunks, old breakaway gaskets etc. That little washing machine filter would be great for your TO heater core hose, and the big one on the radiator hose oughta do a good job at keeping crap out of your heater core and radiator tubes.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I love that clear one. I got to add this to my wish list.

Posted From Hell

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I love that clear one. I got to add this to my wish list.

Posted From Hell

me too. I like the idea of being able to see the color of my coolant too. I change every 3-4 years though anyway.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This spring I hope to get a new radiator so I will have to remember this. I'll put it in the top hose just like in that pic. The hater core line I should get done very soon. I got a gift card for Home Depot. Hell I might just run over there today and get the parts and install it. I know the heater core has been replaced in this truck so that will be great insurance. Only thing I am wary about is during the summer time and you don't use the heater it will be difficult to detect if it clogs up. I guess the truck will warm up much faster if that line is clogged so that would be the sign to look for.

Posted From Hell

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Only thing I am wary about is during the summer time and you don't use the heater it will be difficult to detect if it clogs up.

Posted From Hell

that's exactly what happened with my subaru, I ran it all summer using the AC, then one night (about a week ago) I get off work really late, close to midnight, and have my first chance at using the heater on my drive home, and when I turned it on, it was blowing cold, that's when I knew that little heater core filter had plugged up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just looked them both over, now I am liking the one with the screw on cap. This will definitely be a part of my coolant system upgrade plans in the spring.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just looked them both over, now I am liking the one with the screw on cap. This will definitely be a part of my coolant system upgrade plans in the spring.

I'd use the kind with the cap if I had one of those sealed radiators where you check your coolant at the bottle, otherwise, I like the sight glass. :hidesbehindsofa:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'd use the kind with the cap if I had one of those sealed radiators where you check your coolant at the bottle, otherwise, I like the sight glass. :hidesbehindsofa:

:love51:

Oh god I am hitting on Hotrod now. Cut my ball sack off somebody please. :Get him!:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sszcam