Radiator question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Did you get that rad installed this weekend??

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you get that rad installed this weekend??

no, got side tracked again, this time with granny's car, new struts, tires and wheels, and an oil change, (had to get her daily driver ready for winter)

I'm taking tomorrow off work, hopefully I'm going to get something done on the truck this time :)

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Cool. I'll try and be patient. :popcorn:

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cool. I'll try and be patient. :popcorn:

yeah, you gotta have a lot of patients with me, I'm slow, I got the day off, then got volunteered to babysit a grand kid, so I only had the last half hour or so to work on the truck today, but I did make some progress :)

I got the lower block drain ports unplugged, (they were nasty and it took a few trys with a good screw driver to get them draining) about a gallon of nasty brown crud came out, I then installed my fittings for the garden hose, now to get the garden hose hooked up, it's kinda tight under there trying to do this in a gravel driveway with a bad back, somewhat painful, but I'm getting there :)

Attachments

• 100_3141.jpg
    100_3141.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_3139.jpg
    100_3139.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_3143.jpg
    100_3143.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_3142.jpg
    100_3142.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 152

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're disconnecting your heater core hose right? I think I would. I woudn't want all that nasty funk going thru the heater core. I'd do the heater core separately. I'd run the garden hose through the outlet side aka back flush. That way anything that has been pushing into the core, can pushed back out the other direction. :shrug: Just an ideer.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
oh yeah, the heater core is completely disconnected from the engine, I'll be back flushing that separately. But using the same method.

Attachments

• 100_3112.jpg
    100_3112.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 140

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
oh yeah, the heater core is completely disconnected from the engine, I'll be back flushing that separately. But using the same method.

Back flush, forwards flush several times, until clear water runs out.
use the air hose and a good air nozzle, hold nozzle in outlet of heater core, start slowly pushing in air, after the water is clearsd out You can give it some pretty good pressure, again, back flush with the garden hose, forwards flush, repeat until clear water flows, back to the air hose again, start easy, giver the gun when water is all pushed out, repeat with back flushing, air hose until there is no more crud coming out with the water, end with blowing the water out of the core.

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I made some more progress today, not much, but now I have to go to work, so maybe I'll get a little more done tonight when I get home.

today, I got the hoses hooked up to the lower block, now I need to button up the top of the block and the hose outlets then I can start flushing, I'm thinking I might run straight water through it at first before I use any of the chemicals to get as much crud out as I can before I start recycling it into a big garbage can.

here's a picture of the "Y" adapter I'll be using, I'm also posting a picture of the battery terminal pliers I used to spread out the end of the garden hose so it would easily slip onto the barbed fittings, with those pliers, and a little WD-40 squirted into the hose ends, everything slipped together fairly easily.

I ended up butchering up one of our garden hoses for this job, (hope granny don't find out) when I'm done, we're going to have one garden hose with a few splices in it ....... if granny says anything, I'm pleading the 5th ..I don't know noth'en, I didn't do it, nobody saw me, can't prove noth'en!

Attachments

• 100_3144.jpg
    100_3144.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_3145.jpg
    100_3145.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
let the back flushing begin!!

I got busy today and got something done, I made a temporary gasket for the thermostat housing out of an old toilet paper roll innards

finished plugging up the radiator hoses and other outlets and hooked a drain hose to the intake fitting for the heater core, and turned on the water.

then all that really ugly nasty brown stuff started coming out.

I'll probably let it run for a good couple of hours tomorrow before I do the chemical in the garbage can thing.

from there, I'll do some more engine clean-up, put the new water pump on it, do a little painting, then stick it all back together :)

Attachments

• 100_3146.jpg
    100_3146.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_3148.jpg
    100_3148.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 185
  • 100_3149.jpg
    100_3149.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 166

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
wow, it's been a while since I was here, things kinda came at me at the speed of life and the truck has had to sit for the past couple of years unfinished.

a friend came over a couple of weeks ago and helped me get it put back together so I wanted to post an update to show that I did actually get the truck done.

after some additional flushing, and replacing the lower block drain plugs with marine engine petcocks, I added a tefba filter, and another filter on the heater core hose, plus a radiator cap with a temperature gauge built into it, the truck runs good now, no over heating or coolant loss issues, and the Tefba filter is picking up a lot of junk out of the system so the junk isn't being circulated through the engine, radiator or water pump.

Attachments

• DSCN0014.jpg
    DSCN0014.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN0015.jpg
    DSCN0015.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0016.jpg
    DSCN0016.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN0017.jpg
    DSCN0017.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 159

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used some Mercury marine inboard block drain petcocks on the lower block (circled in red)

and here's a picture of some of the junk that the Tefba filter has been catching and preventing from circulating through the system, I've already cleaned the filter a couple of times, and this is what's accumulated after about 30 minutes of running since the last cleaning.

Attachments

• DSCN0022.jpg
    DSCN0022.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0019.jpg
    DSCN0019.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 4530861.jpg
    4530861.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 176

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
the next step is to do something about the oil leaks, change out the oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets -

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hey, that looks familiar (BTW - when you were offline for so long I was thinking the worst. Good to see you back):
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
And something I always do to the radiator drain:

Gramps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey, that looks familiar (BTW - when you were offline for so long I was thinking the worst. Good to see you back):

nope, nothing that bad happened, I'm still above the dirt, I've had enough medical stuff to last me a while, it hasn't been fun :whymewhyme:

I like what you did with the radiator drain, I think I might do that with mine.

I was asking about dropping the oil pan over at the square body page on facebook, dropping the pan looks easy enough, but those guys said if I'm going to do the pan gasket, I should also do the rear main seal. that sounds a bit risky for a guy with my limited experience, one little slip trying to get the old seal out and I could gouge the crank, then I'd have all sorts of problems, so I'm going to think twice before I attempt that kind of repair.

I was also looking at your picture of your radiator and it looks like it's sitting flush up against the front of the radiator support (circled in red in your picture) - if you look at the picture of mine, I think I got it a little out of whack, I'm thinking I should probably try to re-set it? take a look where the arrow is pointing. it's angled out away from the radiator support at the bottom.

on a positive note, the trucks running good, no leaks, other then the oil leaks, and no major issues, (I've been driving it around the farm) it's just going to be a bunch if tinkering from here on out, just little stuff, I haven't had the truck out on the road, it's just sort of a farm queen, but I am hoping I might be able to have it road ready for camping by next summer, I have a list of things I want to do to it before I start driving it though ....

Attachments

• DSCN0034.jpg
    DSCN0034.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 159
  • drn2.jpg
    drn2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man