Primer Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alright guys I've gotten to the stage in my build where I start body work and paint. My truck is my daily driver and does not sit in a garage and will be out in the elements. I'm trying to do my body work panel by panel so my questions are.
1. If I sand down the paint on my truck apply my filler what comes next? Epoxy primer? Self etch primer? High build primer?
2. After I apply the primer how can I seal it and stop it from rusting? From my understanding epoxy primer seals its self so is that the way to go?
3. Would applying plasti dip over the primer seal it off so then I can primer the truck and paint it let's say a month from now?

Thank you guys for your input and help.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you just wanting to protect the metal while in between working on panels until you get them all done and then shoot the whole truck? You doing rattle can primer? If that's all you're doing, I'd just use cheap rattle can primer for now. Then when ready to shoot the whole truck, I'd wet sand the whole truck, then be more concerned of what I wanted my base primer to be. Also depends on what kind of paint or technique you intend to use. You'd only need self etching if you're taking it down to bare metal.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you just wanting to protect the metal while in between working on panels until you get them all done and then shoot the whole truck? You doing rattle can primer? If that's all you're doing, I'd just use cheap rattle can primer for now. Then when ready to shoot the whole truck, I'd wet sand the whole truck, then be more concerned of what I wanted my base primer to be. Also depends on what kind of paint or technique you intend to use. You'd only need self etching if you're taking it down to bare metal.
Yes that is exactly what I want to do! I want to be able to do the body work panel by panel and get a primer that will protect my truck while sitting out in the elements for at least a couple weeks. Then when I get the body work done I plan on spraying the whole truck with a primer.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I would use a sealer primer.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If your doing spot repairs Dupli-Color is what I used. I would use an epoxy primer for the finish primer before paint.
Would it be ideal if I used epoxy primer over my bondo work to seal it? Then put a high build primer on top to block sand it?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Would it be ideal if I used epoxy primer over my bondo work to seal it? Then put a high build primer on top to block sand it?
That's what sealer primer does.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
No problem. I'm sure you know to wet sand your primer prior to laying epoxy primer on and same before top coat of color.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No problem. I'm sure you know to wet sand your primer prior to laying epoxy primer on and same before top coat of color.
Yes I do,
1. Sand down all existing paint
2. Apply filler
3. Then apply epoxy
4. Apply hi build primer
5. Block sand

Do those sound like the correct order of steps?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yes I do,
1. Sand down all existing paint
2. Apply filler
3. Then apply epoxy
4. Apply hi build primer
5. Block sand

Do those sound like the correct order of steps?
You need some kind of sealer in the mix to block the filler otherwise after a while you will start to see where the filler is. The filler is pourice and the steel is not.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You need some kind of sealer in the mix to block the filler otherwise after a while you will start to see where the filler is. The filler is pourice and the steel is not.
If I'm not mistaken I thought the epoxy was the sealer? What would you recommend as a sealer?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If I'm not mistaken I thought the epoxy was the sealer? What would you recommend as a sealer?
I would lay a sealer primer on as you go panel by panel then when your done and ready for paint wet sand and clean everything. Then epoxy primer and wet sand again then lay on your color. Wet sand and clear,wet sand that and clear again. Then buff remember your primer color will effect your top coat color. If your going with a light top coat color use a light color primer. Cleanliness is of most importance to a good paint job.

Cameron84K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would lay a sealer primer on as you go panel by panel then when your done and ready for paint wet sand and clean everything. Then epoxy primer and wet sand again then lay on your color. Wet sand and clear,wet sand that and clear again. Then buff remember your primer color will effect your top coat color. If your going with a light top coat color use a light color primer. Cleanliness is of most importance to a good paint job.
Is it okay to do a whole panel in a rattle can sealer primer? And if so you recommend duplicolor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019