Etch primer and sun baked 'surface rust'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ospho is great stuff,I use it a lot. The thing about ospho,you can let it dry and it will protect metal and turn rust into iron phosphate,just like the rust converters. But if you want to shoot epoxy over it, you have to rewet it with more ospho and while it's wet you need to wash it off with water. The reason I said shoot epoxy then primer surfaces was to extend your topcoat time,most sealers and epoxies have a prime to paint window of 7 days. If you epoxy prime then shoot primer surfacer,you extend your topcoat window indefinitely,making your life easier when you are ready to paint.gritdog brought up a great point,last time I worked in a body shop was 20 years ago,there be new better stuff. Something I did read about was real deal,roll on/brush on Automotive primers and rollers etc. for body shops to save time and money,the article I read was pretty interesting. I'll see if I can find it have a great day.
Found that article,take a look.

Last edited:

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Ospho is great stuff,I use it a lot. The thing about ospho,you can let it dry and it will protect metal and turn rust into iron phosphate,just like the rust converters. But if you want to shoot epoxy over it, you have to rewet it with more ospho and while it's wet you need to wash it off with water. The reason I said shoot epoxy then primer surfaces was to extend your topcoat time,most sealers and epoxies have a prime to paint window of 7 days. If you epoxy prime then shoot primer surfacer,you extend your topcoat window indefinitely,making your life easier when you are ready to paint.gritdog brought up a great point,last time I worked in a body shop was 20 years ago,there be new better stuff. Something I did read about was real deal,roll on/brush on Automotive primers and rollers etc. for body shops to save time and money,the article I read was pretty interesting. I'll see if I can find it have a great day.
I did this exact thing to some floor patches on my 91 blazer. I'll post some pics as its been awhile since I've returned to the project.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
For the 2004 Tahoe with the worldwide famous crappy GM paint peeling issue that seems to be worst in the White color, I had rusting on the top and I used KleenStrip Phosphorus Prep & Etch after wire wheeling the rust, little scuffing with sand paper, then Rustoleum Automotive rattle can Primer and some kind of white enamel I had laying around. Its holding on the roof for about 2 years now. Pics coming later....The hood is the worst for paint being MIA but the grey primer is holding and not rusting yet. The doors are losing alot of paint under the windows and all of the paint is krackily frackily looking.

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
Found that article,take a look
Had a read through this, pretty interesting. My brief bodyshop stint was more than a decade ago, the guy I worked for had just switched to water based paint, and that was impressive stuff, didn't know about the roll on primer though - seems like there would be fewer variables to manage.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I did this exact thing to some floor patches on my 91 blazer. I'll post some pics as its been awhile since I've returned to the project.
As promised, here's some pics. This was wiped down after applying the Etch and Prep....it's been a couple +years since I patched it and took the picture yday.

You must be registered for see images attach

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Some more, but I did not wash off the Etch and Prep on this side so it's gone chalky looking. The same time scenario.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
And just for no reason, here's some I put nothing on...same time scenario.

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
And just for no reason, here's some I put nothing on...same time scenario.
Thanks for taking the time to snap these, really illustrates things quite well. I see the kleen strip and ospho brands for sale, I think I'll definitely be using some inside the truck, there's a few spots that next to impossible to sand, complex shapes and so on. After doing the test patch on the roof, that stuff came of fairly quickly with the DA.

Next up I get to re-teach myself welding and replace the rear rockers. This'll be interesting... haven't done any welding since college.

Maknwine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
No problem. I welded my blazer using a Lincoln Weld Pak 100 with gas bottle. It does sheet metal perfectly IMO. I've used flux core on a larger Lincoln and the extra cost of the gas/bottle will pay you back with the ease of use
I've welded up mower decks with my Lincoln ac/dc tombstone and very thin rod, it's doable but never again. Also, invest in a really good helmet auto darkening of course. Good luck with your welding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag