Prep/paint metal dash recommendations???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
‘83 K5 Blazer: seeking best practices on prepping/ priming/ painting metal dash. My windshield is out, all dash metal is exposed, the exterior is primed and ready for paint, the floor has been coated with Lizard Skin. The dash metal currently has old paint on it. Just wanting to know if I should scuff/sand the dash metal and spray the high fill primer that I used on the body but would have to sand down or use a rattle can primer that lays down thin and flat that would not need sanding. I purchased three different types of rattle can primer to try (see photos). Recommendations would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8439.jpeg
    IMG_8439.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8438.jpeg
    IMG_8438.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8440.jpeg
    IMG_8440.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8441.jpeg
    IMG_8441.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 27

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm kind of at the same spot but my dash is totally removed. The plan is (at this point) to sand and paint it just like the body, but only wet sanding (maybe) and buffing the bottom half thats seen. From the looks of things the factory sprayed it like they did everything else, while it was in the cab and with alot of missed/bare areas underneath.

Same thing with the inside of the cab. With trims and headliners, seats, carpet, etc....not much left to see - but what is, is pretty noticeable.

Thats my plans anyways.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I sprayed mine with 2K surfacer and sanded

I'd bet that 2 of the rattle cans you chose will go down like surfacer and need to be sanded, the only "thin" one is the duplicolor

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I went ahead and sprayed the dash and cab with the same 2K primer surfacer that I used on the body. It went on pretty flat and will only require buffing with grey or red scotchbrite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod