Different approach for dash pad resto. Opinions please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I know there are a million threads out there on how to restore a dash pad, however I haven't found any that fiber-glassed their dash pads. I build/refinish wood boats on the side occasionally and have copious amounts of top quality marine resins, cloths, and fillers at my disposal and am having a hard time finding a reason why this method would not look right or last.
I'm thinking of prepping my dash pad the same as everyone else; cut away all dry cracked areas, clean well, fill voids with expanding foam and smooth. At this point I would lay down a layer of epoxy and cloth, sand it smooth and lay down a layer of thin filler, sand it smooth and paint to my liking.
Does anyone see a problem/downside to this??? I don't really and that is maybe whats got me gun shy, and the fact that I haven't really found others doing it this way. Only downside I'm seeing is the fact that it will be more ridged and that could pose to be a problem when reinstalling it in the truck, fiberglass flexes though and it should go back in.
Can anyone see find a reason not to go this route lol???

Thanks in advanced!

Sammy

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Only problem that I forsee....the dashpad needs to remain flexible enough to install onto the metal frame in the cab. It would be a tight fit once done with the process that you are thinking of, but it could be a challenge to re install it once done. I would like to see the end result though. The aftermarket dashes fit like crap (and they are all flexible). The only way that I could see a full custom and rigid replacement dash be installed is to have the windshield out since that opening is wider than installing through the cab.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Don't see any reason it shouldn't work, some people just use Bondo to fill the voids and paint them and they don't have problems, I would think this would be stronger.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Using a thin layer should allow it to flex enough I would think???.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd buy a new one from cheyennepickup.com for the $330 or whatever they sell at-great price imo!

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Have a friend help you put it in or you'll have more cracks to deal with. I bondoed one and it looked great sitting on the work bench. When I went to put it in it cracked in 4 places due to the flexing of installing it.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
The flexing was indeed my main concern. But I will be using marine epoxy with 1/2 maybe 1oz cloth not polyester (bondo) filler. Flexing should be tolerable in my opinion.
I think I'm gonna get after it. I'll keep yall posted!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Having body work in my background and having worked on several glass bodies on some race machines. I think your idea is very valid. I have entertained this idea as well. Using a good gelcoat should allow for some flexing during the install. Get R Done!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The flexing was indeed my main concern. But I will be using marine epoxy with 1/2 maybe 1oz cloth not polyester (bondo) filler. Flexing should be tolerable in my opinion.
I think I'm gonna get after it. I'll keep yall posted!
Please do, very interested in a write up on this..

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that happens alot, in the car custom or minitruck, sub woofer etc. I don't see why it wouldn't work, however I think they might rip their vinyl off and/or foam and then do the entire thing. I know I've seen alot of s10's and such and others with all fiberglassed door panels or dashes.

I really don't know how well fiberglass would be over top of foam and vinyl that can flex yet the fiberglass can't flex that much, seems like itd pop free over time or maybe even crack, even more so if something hit the dash hard. Guys do it all the time though, just unsure if they have anything soft under it I'd bet they rip it down to metal then glass it. That may be what you wanna do for best results strip to metal and then glass.

If not since you can get materials, try it, if it works then it's an option for everyone, if it fails strip it to metal and redo.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
This just popped into my head but wouldn't carbon fiber look sweet!

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you live where temps can freeze-forget about it. The foam will expand and crack your bodywork. Imagine a 10 degree morning and you get into and slam your door shut-bam...there's a crack...etc. If you live in warm climates, not nearly as much worry.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I hope it works. Mine was completely junk with a cover over it. The cover was cracked in places where the underside dash was so bad. I just got through doing that to mine today. I had put foam, expandable, on it once and trimmed and sanded and put it on the second time. Went out last night and trimmed it off again. Sanded it back down today and coated it with resin using glass mat in really bad places. I figure if it don't work, a cover will fit much nicer.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Forgot how hard this stuff is to sand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics