Paint Booth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have a decent compressor with a spray gun and some Rustoleum quart cans so I thought I would try my hand at painting my '79 Ramp Truck. Since it is mainly for utility, I am not going to be too worried about it being a high quality paint job. With that said, I am attempting it on this first with the interest of possibly moving to other vehicles where I do care more about the paint work. As such, I still want to give it my best effort and do it right.

I have been keeping an eye out for ideas on a DIY spray booth with some 2x4s and plastic sheeting (or something along those lines). Unfortunately the ramp truck will not fit in my garage so I would be looking for some way to make it 'temporary' and able to set-up in my driveway. Has anyone done something like this? Pictures for inspiration? Any tips for what to do and what not to do?

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Being in Everett, what is the typical outside humidity like? I did something like that before with ropes and clear plastic, duct taped the corners and got two big box fans, one as intake with a good air filter and the other as exhaust to get rid of overspray. Need a good half-mask with dual level cartridges, a good water trap for the air and I like to use a little regulator at my belt to feed the gun. Also, as much light as possible so you can see what your laying down.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One guy had told me the best tip to give anyone trying to paint on their own on a make shift paint booth or your driveway, whatever the case may be, and it will make a huge difference and it's cheap and easy to do. I've found he is correct so I always pass it on. Where ever your painting, even on a calm wind day, ALWAYS get out the garden hose and wet the ground around, under and near where you're painting. The dust and bugs it keeps down will save you alot of headache.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I just spray in the driveway and sand the bugs out.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
When my dad his paint business, he always sprayed the floor. I think he even sprayed the hell out of the booth and just ran the fans to dry it once a week.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
While not related to the paint booth aspect of this thread, this is the end result of my "$50 Rustoleum job". Sprayed with the $10 harbor freight hvlp gun. So yours should turn out pretty good.
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
While not related to the paint booth aspect of this thread, this is the end result of my "$50 Rustoleum job". Sprayed with the $10 harbor freight hvlp gun. So yours should turn out pretty good.

It's funny, that HF spray gun is kinda a hidden gem for them. One of the few things they sell that most people end up being surprised by. I used one years ago when I repainted a jeep I had, all my intent was to get some color on it so it didn't rust. It was built to go through the woods. I even used tractor paint from TSC. For a $10 gun, and $30 a gallon paint, it turned out better than it had any right to. Especially considering the fact that I'd never actually shot a color coat before.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I sprayed outside in the open many times. Always wished I had a booth due to bugs and cotton wood tree cotton. Wetting the ground helps a lot. Stringing ropes, weighing the edges with bricks or blocks and using box fans for ventilation will work nicely. I would set up two fans pushing air in and let it vent out down low.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you paint the whole truck or just the hood? Them $50 paint jobs aren't so bad. They're not car show quality or Barrett Jackson Auto quality but for our squares to have a nice clean sanitary look they're great. I've even heard if you keep them waxed once or twice a year with some cheap KIT wax the paint holds up very well.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Did you paint the whole truck or just the hood? Them $50 paint jobs aren't so bad. They're not car show quality or Barrett Jackson Auto quality but for our squares to have a nice clean sanitary look they're great. I've even heard if you keep them waxed once or twice a year with some cheap KIT wax the paint holds up very well.

I did the whole truck, both the primary and secondary color.
If you want to see all of that here is the thread: Build Thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb