Getting quotes for paint/body work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Just shooting this out there to get some ideas on what to expect when talking to the body shop. Getting my K25 ready for paint and minor body work for a shop to spray it. I replaced the passenger bedside, door and hood.

My question is how much should I be expecting to pay for a full repaint as well as some minor body filler on the remaining original body panels? I’m looking to have the jambs painted as well to help mask the color change.

I’m in Prescott,AZ. If any locals know of a reputable shop to help me out thy would be awesome.

,Morgan

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Just got mom and dad's 1993 extended cab S10 quoted. No real body work. Surface rust on hood and roof. My long time guy (shop has been in business 50+ years) quoted 5kish but is 6 months out. Another local person with a good rep quoted my mom 10k for the same job. Full outside paint.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Holy smokes. Would it matter to them (the body shop) if I told them it would be used in the woods and for cruising around town?

I know things are getting more expensive but 10k seems really steep. I wouldn’t want to pay more than 5k for what the truck is being used for. Other option is to paint it myself I guess.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
No better time to learn to do it yourself.
Paint work is quite expensive now a days.

If I want to paint one of mine, I will probably go the DIY route to see how it turns out.
I also know a couple of my sons friends work in auto body places now and they will do the work for the experience and Taco Bell.
I just have to foot the bill for the materials.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Also check with the local colleges that have auto body programs to see if they would be interested in doing the work.
You pay for materials and perhaps they learn on your truck.
If they have mistakes, they get to learn the right way to fix them too.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yep, just like everything else in the work, body and paint work has gone through the roof the last few years. Guy at work just had his '03 done at Maaco for $1500. It'd be fine for a woods truck/idgaf truck but I couldn't live with it. I'd expect 5-8k for a halfway decent job and 10k+ for something you can be proud of and show off.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Also check with the local colleges that have auto body programs to see if they would be interested in doing the work.
You pay for materials and perhaps they learn on your truck.
If they have mistakes, they get to learn the right way to fix them too.
that’s a great idea, I may call the community college and see what they would be willing to do.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Yep, just like everything else in the work, body and paint work has gone through the roof the last few years. Guy at work just had his '03 done at Maaco for $1500. It'd be fine for a woods truck/idgaf truck but I couldn't live with it. I'd expect 5-8k for a halfway decent job and 10k+ for something you can be proud of and show off.
My buddy had his XJ done at the local Maaco and it’s a good 20 footer. It was done a couple years ago and still looks as “good” as it did when it came out.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If a body shop accepts the work would be surprised. Around here all are months behind.
It will always be more work that you expect. Might need stripping, unseen body work re-repaired, rust, ect. Materials are horribly expensive. I did a SB last year. outside only, not the bed inside. A friend sprayed it. Body work was done and primed, all trim off, he had to do was tape and spray, cost 5k. A complete 20k wouldn't shock me.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Another big issue with body shops nowadays is they'd rather do insurance repairs, the money is guaranteed and quality control is easier on partial paint jobs than all over since they don't have to be responsible for the entire vehicle. Many shops in my area don't want all over paint jobs.

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
If a body shop accepts the work would be surprised. Around here all are months behind.
It will always be more work that you expect. Might need stripping, unseen body work re-repaired, rust, ect. Materials are horribly expensive. I did a SB last year. outside only, not the bed inside. A friend sprayed it. Body work was done and primed, all trim off, he had to do was tape and spray, cost 5k. A complete 20k wouldn't shock me.
I have the trim and everything off. I have the trim holes welded shut and smoothed. I was hoping to have the bulk of the body work done to where they had to prep and tape off the glass and jambs. Hoping to save costs that way.

This thread is starting to make me want to just do it myself and be more proud of doing it myself than paying for it and still finding things I’m not happy with after the fact.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I ran a body shop for a while. There is much more money in insurance work. When the shop installs a part they make at least 20%. When you're talking $1500 for a Ford truck taillight, they just made $300 for 5 minutes plus .2 labor time. There a few parts used in a complete. It is just an economic decision.

There is a lot to know before doing an overall paint job. If planning to do it, get to know a paint shop counter person who can advise you.

If the environment is not controlled plan on a clear coat. Many imperfections can be sanded out.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
I will second the reply that shops stray away from full paint like the plague. Insurance work pays better. If you find a " resto shop " that will take it, be careful. 3 shops that do custom work and resto work have opened in my area in the last year serving people with more money than good sense. We have told people that it is a place to take your project to die a humiliating death and never get finished. Sad, but true.
Eric

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Brutal! Since my truck is parked and always will be parked outside, I’ve decided to not throw hard earned money away on expensive materials and skilled labor. I’m going the multi coat enamel primitive DIY route, in another 50 years it will be the highly sought after Pantene version. I already purchased the rustoleum and tractor paint and primer from HD, also some looks wet enamel hardener from Amazon, $300. I vowed I wouldn’t try it again after the Chevelle debacle BUT, I believe this will be different since I am two toning it and I will be painting panels one at a time. I believe my compressor will be okay if I take my time. I keep reminding myself I’m not building a show truck winner. I just about finished sanding the cab interior and hope to do entire cab paint before it gets too cold, if the weather cooperates maybe the doors and fenders too. My truck is a Frankenstein and planning to keep that identity.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpeg
    IMG_0192.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
A couple years ago I was quoted $10-12K to do my '82 one ton, and the body shop said that was basically the 20 footer price. If I wanted it to be flawless while up close and personal it would be $15-18K. Back in '03-04 it cost me almost $7K to paint my '80 Z28 and it was near flawless when done. So 20 years worth of labor increases and material price increases tells me those numbers probably aren't too far off the mark in todays world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad