NP203, NP205, NP208 Differentiating Power to front and rear axles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd go with a 205 since you already need to replace the front driveline anyway. You're just looking at the additional expense of having the rear shaft made the correct length.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
The 203 has a differential in it so I dont think that will help. Maybe lock the hubs, take out the rear driveshaft, put the t-case in the position you normally would with the part time kit, fire it up/put it in gear and see if the truck will move. If it does, it dont have the part time kit.

both cases are sittinh on the garage floor... i have another drive shaft for the 203, question at this point is old 203 or untested 203?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Rotate the input shaft of the old 203 and just make sure there's not any weird noises, excessive slack, wiggle the input shaft and make sure there's no slack in the bearings, push in and out on it and make sure there's not much end play. Do the same with the front output flange and if everything sounds ok I would rock it. Otherwise you could swap the part time kit from the old into the new.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Rotate the input shaft of the old 203 and just make sure there's not any weird noises, excessive slack, wiggle the input shaft and make sure there's no slack in the bearings, push in and out on it and make sure there's not much end play. Do the same with the front output flange and if everything sounds ok I would rock it. Otherwise you could swap the part time kit from the old into the new.

oh ok, i didnt know it was that easy, Ill test that out today.
thanks

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
so I got the cross member bolted back up... what a pita! the crossmember is a little bit bent and also it looks like the frame where it bolts up was slightly bent by the drive shaft yoke coming apart and smashing into the frame. solved the problem by using the drop spacers to lower the cross member down and using air tools, bolted the adapter plate to the cross member, jacked it all up, kicked the hell out of it and buzzed all the nuts on. im pretty sure i should pull em off one at a time and use all new bolts and washers, im not sure i trust the old bolts. (probably a given)
fuel line that was smashed was pulled out all the way, looking back i regret it because i ended up cutting all the smashed line out, sticking the good part back in and using rubber fuel hose for the 2 ft i needed to replace.
why is it such a pita to hook up the fuel pump? theres no room for hands in there! im gonna hook up the fuel hose first and then hook it to the pump.
transfer case is going back in monday, i spun the shafts and it seems ok, im gonna throw the old one with the part time kit back in. then the drive shafts and im ready to see if it runs. cant wait, its been about 8 months since it ran. budget builds can sometimes be so slow

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
You must be registered for see images attach

hey, at least its under the truck. PITA and its heavy! and my jack was going up 1/2'' per pump, and i need a gasket and the parts store only sells the full kit which i dont need! anyone know a website that sells just the adapter plate gasket... im off monday so im hoping to get it in there

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I feel for ya, a complete NP203 weighs in at 195 pounds but the NP205 weighs 248 pounds! Last time I checked the local NAPA they had just the adapter plate gasket, but if you do make your own, use a beer box for God's sake man, not a cereal box!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I feel for ya, a complete NP203 weighs in at 195 pounds but the NP205 weighs 248 pounds! Last time I checked the local NAPA they had just the adapter plate gasket, but if you do make your own, use a beer box for God's sake man, not a cereal box!

evenly spread RTV works pretty good, just let it sit for about 45 minutes to an hour before you install it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
evenly spread RTV works pretty good, just let it sit for about 45 minutes to an hour before you install it.

The 205 needs the gasket for proper clearance, maybe the 203 also. The 208 and 241 can take the RTV.

...And why do people always recommend letting RTV set up before assembly? That's just a waste of time and not needed. Apply the RTV and just bolt it up, just don't put the part in use for about an hour or so, if possible.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350

lmao! ok ill check napa. thanks!

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
damn... nobody has just the gasket... i found one online for $2, but its $10 to ship!

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Might be better to make one then, unless you think you should go ahead and get all the seals that go in the adapter plate too. I think there's a seal on both sides there the coupler sleeve rides, as well as an o-ring at the back of the trans. Cheap insurance to fix while you have it all apart.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Might be better to make one then, unless you think you should go ahead and get all the seals that go in the adapter plate too. I think there's a seal on both sides there the coupler sleeve rides, as well as an o-ring at the back of the trans. Cheap insurance to fix while you have it all apart.

youre right, i usually would change the gaskets while i have it ou,t but i really dont have time to take this apart any more than i have already... lol i get asked almost daily when this "pos" will be running and out of the garage

Last edited:

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
ok, good news, i found the gasket i need for the xc, im going to give it a shoit at installing it today... question is, am i supposed to have a rubber ring gasket around the housing that slips into the adapter plate? i kind of remember pulling one off of something but cant remember if it was the tranny side only or both sides of the adapter. thanks for any info

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I dont think there's an o-ring on the t-case side but there are 2 seals where the adapter sleeve is, one on each side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek87