NP203, NP205, NP208 Differentiating Power to front and rear axles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
yes it did, the hole right side of my body from my waste to my arm pit was hamburger from the gravel. You could also see the tread from the sport king tires across my back for several weeks.

Damn dude. My dad had his 69 c-20 pop out of gear and roll over his leg, that was not a good day. It wasn;t just a pickup either, he had a loaded utility bed on the back of it, he was real lucky that his leg got saved.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Damn dude. My dad had his 69 c-20 pop out of gear and roll over his leg, that was not a good day. It wasn;t just a pickup either, he had a loaded utility bed on the back of it, he was real lucky that his leg got saved.

I can certainly sympothize wtih him

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes it did.

I was in a huryy one day to go fishing, well my front driveshaft had alot of vibration it it. So i was gonna have my dad re weld the yoke on before I went. I pulled up to the shop door, truck was parked on a hill didnt think to block the wheels, jumped under the truck and started pulling the bolts out of the front drive shaft. i got 3 bolts out and was taking the fourth out when I had about 3 threads left it broke. I was laying behind the FR Tire. I heard the pop sound and the next thing I know I am trapped under the front right tire. But instead of just going over top of me my body was like a wheel chock and the truck just kept rolling down the gravel driveway with me under the tire. I am not really sure how far exactly it slid me but when it finally went over me I was roughly 60-70 feet from the shop.

i can remeber getting up and trying to holler for help and I couldnt speak. I staggered up and tried to walk back to the house, when my uncle drove up circled around the circle driveway drove right past me and just kept going. When he went past me I collapsed and couldnt make it any farther. I later woke up with my dad over top of me and I could hear the sirens getting closer, then once in the ambulance i could hear them say something about life flight and thats all I could remeber after that.

So is this the story where the name comes from? OneLuckyPops?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E

not sad, Theres not a day go buy I dont remeber what happened and thank god for another chance. My wife was 9 months Pregnant with my daughter when it happened. I had complications a few weeks later and ended up going to another hospital which just happened to be the same hospital my daughter was born in. i was admitted in 1 room and my wife was on another floor.

I was able to be in there when the baby was born though so I didnt miss that.

1987chevybad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Both my chevy k30s have the np203 4hi or 4 low acts like a car awd system. Meaning the front axle doesnt have to turn when the back does. The Np203 is considered to be center differential, ie it does the same thing for your front and rear axle as your diff does for your front and left tires. The when indestructible Np205 or Np208is in 4l or 4 hi both axles are locked together and both must spin. Np203s are cool in 4hi when the back tires are on ice and you punch it the front tires grab with almost no slippage

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
so heres a question I hope someone can answer. Ive got a np203 with a conversion done, so I have something like 4 low loc 4 low n 2hi 4hi loc... actually I have 2 questions , i have a locking front hub...
should I look for a np205 instead while i have the case out anyway?
if i put in another 203 with no conversion and i drive around with the front hubs unlocked, would it trash my front hubs?

and yes i agree, the np203 weighs a ton!

thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No, it won't hurt the hubs at all, but you will have to drive it in the 'loc' position. What's wrong with your 203, why are you thinking of replacing it with another one?

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
No, it won't hurt the hubs at all, but you will have to drive it in the 'loc' position. What's wrong with your 203, why are you thinking of replacing it with another one?

haha funny story, goes like this...

so there i was, minding my own buisness, doing 75 on the freeway , when all of a sudden i felt a bad shake... i slowed down just enough to not die when the yoke on the front side of my transfer case gave out. The drive shaft slung around , cracked my tranny case, smashed all the fuel lines that run up the right side frame rail,along with the brake line dented my cross member (which wont go back on now)...
I pulled it all out, got a rebuilt tranny back in and thats where im stuck at the moment, tranny bolted to the block and sitting on a jack.

Im wondering if the xcase is messed up and thats why the yoke broke, or if i had the hubs locked because i sometimes hit the dirt when the urge hits had anything to do with it. so my options are putting the old one back in, putting in a different np203 that i have kicking around (no clue on history or if it has a conversion done) or getting a 205 case from the picknpull...

what do you think?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Probably a neglected u-joint was the culprit. The t-case may be unharmed. But at this point if I were you I would go after the NP205. May need both driveshafts too while you're getting the 205.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Probably a neglected u-joint was the culprit. The t-case may be unharmed. But at this point if I were you I would go after the NP205. May need both driveshafts too while you're getting the 205.

im on a very tight budget, if thats the case ill have to stick with either the one I had on there, or running the one I have kicking around. the guy i got it from said it was working fine, i have no real reason to doubt him because I used the tranny that it was hooked to and it ran great (up until the mishap) i just dont know if it has the conversion done,,, would i be able to tell by putting it in gear and spinning the shaft?

thanks

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The 203 has a differential in it so I dont think that will help. Maybe lock the hubs, take out the rear driveshaft, put the t-case in the position you normally would with the part time kit, fire it up/put it in gear and see if the truck will move. If it does, it dont have the part time kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000