No start, no click, no nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here you go.

You must be registered for see images attach

So the only one of these I haven’t checked yet is the braided one between the head and the firewall. I need to check that

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So it’s not a ground...

And it’s not the ignition switch because I just replaced that...

What the heck truck!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
An 87' won't actually have a neutral safety switch. It still has the same looking switch body at the bottom of the column, but it's only for the ECM to know P/N and the reverse lights, no ignition wires. Not sure when they made the change, but I think it was around 84-85'. There are physical stops in the column that prevent you from turning the key unless it's in park or neutral.

Interesting....so when I purchased a neutral safety switch two weeks ago and installed it and the starter probelm was fixed......how would my 1987 silverado NOT have a neutral safety switch? Either way, the replacement part was referred to as a neutral safety switch on the parts listing. Call it whatever you want, but it is worth it for the o.p. to check and replace the part.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
So it’s not a ground...

And it’s not the ignition switch because I just replaced that...

What the heck truck!
Neutral safety switch...or whatever you want to refer to it as...it fixed my problem.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Neutral safety switch...or whatever you want to refer to it as...it fixed my problem.

Ok I’ll look into it further. Someone said that the 87 doesn’t have them. I’ll verify and give it a shot

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well mine certainly does.....or something that specs out as one at the minimum.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Jump the none back up wires together and see if it starts if it does the switch is bad done deal

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Jump the none back up wires together and see if it starts if it does the switch is bad done deal

Can you elaborate? I already replaced the switch but they were out of Ac Delco and I don’t trust the part 100%

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Interesting....so when I purchased a neutral safety switch two weeks ago and installed it and the starter probelm was fixed......how would my 1987 silverado NOT have a neutral safety switch? Either way, the replacement part was referred to as a neutral safety switch on the parts listing. Call it whatever you want, but it is worth it for the o.p. to check and replace the part.

I'd be curious to see a picture of the switch at the base of your column. Both my 87' and 88' lack any starter related wiring running to it, as you can see in the pictures I attached. Should be two purple wires if it really does have a neutral safety switch for the starter, not just the P/N indicator for the PCM, and reverse lights.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Op is your truck still TBI? If so that plastic switch will tell your ECM to not run if it’s bad by bridging the wires it will bypass said switch and the ECM will be given a park or neutral signal to run.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Op is your truck still TBI? If so that plastic switch will tell your ECM to not run if it’s bad by bridging the wires it will bypass said switch and the ECM will be given a park or neutral signal to run.

You sure? The crank circuit doesn't go through the PCM at all, so not sure how the PCM would tell it not to start. There is an offshoot from the crank circuit that tells the PCM it's cranking, but that's it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You sure? The crank circuit doesn't go through the PCM at all, so not sure how the PCM would tell it not to start. There is an offshoot from the crank circuit that tells the PCM it's cranking, but that's it.
Something has to tell it not to start/crank if it’s not in park or neutral. My 87 is stripped of all TBI crap and it starts in any gear so I’m inclined to think your right so I will shut up now. Those green wires have to do something whether it’s fueling or something.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Something has to tell it not to start/crank if it’s not in park or neutral. My 87 is stripped of all TBI crap and it starts in any gear so I’m inclined to think your right so I will shut up now. Those green wires have to do something whether it’s fueling or something.

The green and blue are reverse lights, black/white and orange are the P/N signal for the PCM (for idle control, I think). I tested my column just now, and it won't let me turn the key to the start position when in R, D, 2, or 1. I think the only reason it lets me start it in OD is because I'm using a Lokar linkage for my swap that probably doesn't line up the detents just right in the column.

I'm honestly not sure why GM decided to skip the actual NSS and put it in the column. Seems odd to me. I guess it could be more reliable without a switch to go out of adjustment? Shoot, maybe they even did one or the other depending on certain options? Who knows.

You said yours will crank in any gear; do you know if the column has ever been swapped?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The green and blue are reverse lights, black/white and orange are the P/N signal for the PCM (for idle control, I think). I tested my column just now, and it won't let me turn the key to the start position when in R, D, 2, or 1. I think the only reason it lets me start it in OD is because I'm using a Lokar linkage for my swap that probably doesn't line up the detents just right in the column.

I'm honestly not sure why GM decided to skip the actual NSS and put it in the column. Seems odd to me. I guess it could be more reliable without a switch to go out of adjustment? Shoot, maybe they even did one or the other depending on certain options? Who knows.

You said yours will crank in any gear; do you know if the column has ever been swapped?
Gotchya, I wasn’t trying to argue and it’s been a while since I hooked up my reverse lights up to my shifter. Also my column is locked in the park position all the time duh on my part.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Op I was wrong and I’m not afraid to admit it. Best I can do is this hey @1987 GMC Jimmy or @chengny help this guy out if you would be as so kind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man