86 K20 4x4 350 Holly Carb - Crank, No Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viaminveniam1939

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi Everyone -

1986 Chevy K20 5.7L 350 3-Speed 4x4 Manual Holly Carb

Truck was idling for about 7 mins, then suddenly shut off. She cranks, but will not light.

- Thought I might have run out of fuel (currently swapping out 1 or 2 tanks).
- I added fuel and then changed the inline (aftermarket) fuel filter (planned to do regardless).
- I popped the fuel line off and observed fuel being pumped out (manual fuel filter seemingly not the problem, though still could be I suppose). Fuel pump, based on the appearance of the gasket/seal, looks newer (can’t say for sure tho).
- Battery is good/charged.
- Have noticed that the ignition (key), turn signal indicator act as if they are “gummed up” (not crisp, if this makes sense). Replacements are in the mail. NOTE: once -only one time did this occur- during my initial efforts to restart the truck after she shut down, I noticed that turning the key to start produced NOTHING (no lights, no starter, etc.).

UPDATE (03/05 @ 20:45 est):
1) turn signals & brake lights are NOT working.

Because I lack a solid understanding of automotive systems and the relationships they have amongst each other… What are the next most logical diagnostics steps to take?

Thank you :)
Nick

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Check for spark. You can get a cheap inline spark tester from a local parts store that will almost make it fool-proof to check for spark. You may need a helper to turn the key though.

viaminveniam1939

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will do, thank you! fyi—checked the rear lights and turn signals and they are NOT working.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Light failure and no start condition probably not related.. With any light failure, the first thing to check is fuses.. Simple fuse replacement will not cure the problem. The cause of the fuse blowing is due to excessive current flow.. Number one cause for this is a short in the circuit..

Adding to Bucket's suggestion.. If you find you have no spark, the number one cause (but not the ONLY cause) of this is ignition module failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe