NEW Tire Purchases - Sizes, Deals and Reviews !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You can get good deals on tires at Walmart, but you have to shop for them and DON"T WAIT until you have to have them. I just bought my 2nd set of tires at Walmart 2 weeks ago for the Daily Ricer. They were clearance tires, regular price $98 each + mt, bal, val stem $12ea x 4, EPA disposal fee $2.50 ea x4 , and sales tax. I ended up getting them for $48 each and a grand total, Mt, Bal, Stems and all taxes out the door for $269 for 70,000 mile Bridgestones and they were in stock, and an in store purchase, not an internet purchase. I've got close to 700 miles on them now I think it is and damn, they're nice. Quiet and Smoothe riding. Much better than the hard riding Yohohamas I had bought used with about 40% tread and then had to pay Mt & Bal. Had I known I could have gotten these for $49 each, I'd have passed on the used Jokahomas for $100 mt and balanced.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bridgestone-Ecopia-EP422-PLUS-195-65R15-91H/46694023
This is 2018 but walmart wants 8$ a tire for disposal here lol. theyll mount your tire for 5$! But to put on the car and balance is 15$

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is 2018 but walmart wants 8$ a tire for disposal here lol. theyll mount your tire for 5$! But to put on the car and balance is 15$
I bought a set of tires last month from Costco. They had to order but overall it was a good experience and they got rid of a bunch of fees, M&B included now in price of tire. Other shops charge separate for mount, balance, air, warranty, etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Blows my mind, All the big box tires stores and Walmart is a couple dollars cheaper, but around here, it's $25 for mount and balance of a loose wheel. Ridiculous. So I take my tires to Julio and Juan's Tire Chop over in the Varrio, and they do them for $15 a tire and will put them on the vehicle for you. Phuk the Greed !!!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Blows my mind, All the big box tires stores and Walmart is a couple dollars cheaper, but around here, it's $25 for mount and balance of a loose wheel. Ridiculous. So I take my tires to Julio and Juan's Tire Chop over in the Varrio, and they do them for $15 a tire and will put them on the vehicle for you. Phuk the Greed !!!
Hey Homie, dontchya know me

Buicknut

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Are Hankooks bad tires? I bought a truck that came with them and they seemed to have been good tires. Good enough that I figured if I found the right deal, I'd buy them when the time came. Though I am fully aware, just because 1 model of tire by a manufacture is good, doesn't mean all their models are good. Kinda why I look at reviews.

The best TSpec vs Retail tire example I find is the Firestone Wilderness AT that Ford used on the Explorers that were flipping over and killing people that prompted an immediate recall. Ford blamed Firestone, Firestone blamed Ford. Firestone blamed Ford claiming they asked them to leave so many wraps out of the tire to make it cheaper. Ford blamed Firestone saying you made the tire, your engineers didn't tell us this would make for a dangerous tire and you're the tire expert. All the while they're fighting that out, the retail version of the Firestone Wilderness AT got a bad wrap too and it quit selling even though it was a perfectly safe and fully manufactured tire to Firestone engineered specs. As said above, I gladly bought a set of those RETAIL tires from a major tire retailers for about 60-70% off the retail price.
@HotRodPC, Can I ask where you got this information?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Are Hankooks bad tires? I bought a truck that came with them and they seemed to have been good tires. Good enough that I figured if I found the right deal, I'd buy them when the time came. Though I am fully aware, just because 1 model of tire by a manufacture is good, doesn't mean all their models are good. Kinda why I look at reviews.

So you're saying that Walmart does Tspec tires of sorts? For example, a TSpec tire being what GM, Ford or any other auto manufacture would have a tire manufacture build for the automaker to put on their new cars. Many are not aware there is a difference in a Tspec tire and a Retail tire. Usually where the automaker will have the tire manufacture make a cheaper version of their famous name branded tire, like a Good Year Wrangler AT, or Uniroyal Tiger Paw, Firestone Wilderness AT etc., but the Tspec tire is NOT the same quality of that same famous name brand/model tire if you were to go to a tire retailer and buy that same famous name brand/model.

The best TSpec vs Retail tire example I find is the Firestone Wilderness AT that Ford used on the Explorers that were flipping over and killing people that prompted an immediate recall. Ford blamed Firestone, Firestone blamed Ford. Firestone blamed Ford claiming they asked them to leave so many wraps out of the tire to make it cheaper. Ford blamed Firestone saying you made the tire, your engineers didn't tell us this would make for a dangerous tire and you're the tire expert. All the while they're fighting that out, the retail version of the Firestone Wilderness AT got a bad wrap too and it quit selling even though it was a perfectly safe and fully manufactured tire to Firestone engineered specs. As said above, I gladly bought a set of those RETAIL tires from a major tire retailers for about 60-70% off the retail price.

I don't doubt what you're saying about Walmart spec'ing their own tires for retail sales, but it would seem to me that the tire manufactures should want to give those Walmart retail spec'ed tires a derivative model # or name. That same exact model # and name I got is sold at Tire Rack and Amazon too that I'm aware of and not even sure where else. Hopefully they hold up well. If they don't, I'm still ahead IMO because they are sure to outlast and I know outperform the cheap ass Douglas tires that were just a few dollar cheaper. If the mileage, treadwear, load and speed ratings on the label mean anything then hopefully they'll work out OK. I know that set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws I bought from Walmart years ago were fantastic tires and even exceeded the 70,000 mile rating. Of course I know there are variables in those ratings too. Noway in hell I would have gotten 70,000 miles driving around town on those, but 85-90% of those miles were all highway.
Pop needed to rent a uhaul trailer to help move his brother's stuff after he had passed away. The local uhaul dealer would not rent him the trailer because the Explorer came with Firestone tires. It had General AT2 on it, but because it came with Firestone, no deal.

Same bs in Arizona. I told him to use his brother's truck to get the trailer, then tow it home with the Explorer, and when he dropped it off use his 68 F250.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Pop needed to rent a uhaul trailer to help move his brother's stuff after he had passed away. The local uhaul dealer would not rent him the trailer because the Explorer came with Firestone tires. It had General AT2 on it, but because it came with Firestone, no deal.

Same bs in Arizona. I told him to use his brother's truck to get the trailer, then tow it home with the Explorer, and when he dropped it off use his 68 F250.
lmao... because it CAME with the firestones... wow..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
@HotRodPC, Can I ask where you got this information?
My info about the Tspec tire being the bad tires, and the Retail tires being good tires, came from a GM Stealership Service Dept. I had also mentioned that to a tire store salesman he agreed with that 100%, that the retail tires were safe, it was the OEM aka Tspec tires that were the problem. I see someone posted a link about it, but that appears to all be about what happened in court and the recalls. I didn't read it all though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, total bs
Maybe you guys don't remember our buddy Dave. I'm pretty sure it was Firestones he was talking about. But he was giving his opinion on tires of what is good and bad. I personally don't care what brand you get, there is going to be some bad models in all brands, so I'm not much of a brand guy, but a model guy. But Dave gave his opinion and it ended with don't buy Firestones, at least I think it was Firestones. I asked what is wrong with Firestones. His response was, "They go flat" . I mean it had to be a highlight of this forum forever and needs to go in the GMSB History book. Yep, don't buy Firestones, they go flat. I bet @Old77 @bucket @Mr Clean @animal @89Suburban @RetroC10Sport will all remember that one. Telling ya, that dude.... WOW !!! Harmless but....

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Maybe you guys don't remember our buddy Dave. I'm pretty sure it was Firestones he was talking about. But he was giving his opinion on tires of what is good and bad. I personally don't care what brand you get, there is going to be some bad models in all brands, so I'm not much of a brand guy, but a model guy. But Dave gave his opinion and it ended with don't buy Firestones, at least I think it was Firestones. I asked what is wrong with Firestones. His response was, "They go flat" . I mean it had to be a highlight of this forum forever and needs to go in the GMSB History book. Yep, don't buy Firestones, they go flat. I bet @Old77 @bucket @Mr Clean @animal @89Suburban @RetroC10Sport will all remember that one. Telling ya, that dude.... WOW !!! Harmless but....
The nice part about tires that go flat is there is usually a specific reason for it. Old valve stem, old core in said stem, dirt in the core keeping it open (replace caps when can) puncture in tire
Tire leaking on bead

Structural failure of tire passing air out of it
Rusty wheel

Not all that much more to go wrong lol.. and how many of those potentially lead back to a tires quality of manufacture? a couple at most?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The nice part about tires that go flat is there is usually a specific reason for it. Old valve stem, old core in said stem, dirt in the core keeping it open (replace caps when can) puncture in tire
Tire leaking on bead

Structural failure of tire passing air out of it
Rusty wheel

Not all that much more to go wrong lol.. and how many of those potentially lead back to a tires quality of manufacture? a couple at most?
Nawww these tires didn't go flat for any other reason other than being Firestone. Simply put, They go flat. That's it. Don't buy them cuz they go flat.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This was the truck... he said he didn't have any clearance issues. Do not know what brand of tire he is using. This is the look we are gonna try for.
Many times what comes more into play than the tire size, is the rim offset. Those appear to be later model squarebody OEM optional wheels. I had those that came OEM on one of my 85's.

EDIT: Wait, I'm lying. I had 6 lug wheels. Not sure those came in an OEM form in 8 lug.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
He was quite the character, one of "ONELUCKYPOP'S" favorites. Whatever happened to that guy OLP too?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64